Crossfire Troubles

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hello, I just installed a second Radeon 5850 graphics card into my comp and connected everything fine I believe. When I check GPU-Z it detects both the cards, but for my first graphics card it says "Enabled(2GPUs)" while the other one says "Disabled" for the Crossfire section. Does this mean Crossfire is enabled and active?

What do I need to do to get it working if it isn't?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Make sure your drivers are up to date, open up CCC, and under the "Performance" tab ("AMD CrossfireX Configuration" sub-tab) make sure that "Enable CrossFireX" is checked. If that is done already, post back here.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the exact location of the option in CCC, if you need it.

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I've researched it already and tried some of the tips and advices I've found during my research.

And I've checked that my drivers are up to date via the Device Manager. I have also just recently downloaded the latest driver and catalyst control suite from the AMD website.

The "Enable CrossFireX" option is already checked and enabled in the Performance tab of the CCC.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can get this working soon!

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
A little update. I noticed that for the "Driver Version" section of GPU-Z it says "atiumdag 8.821.0.0 (Catalyst 11.2) / Win7 64" for the card where it says "ATI CrossFire" is "Enabled (2 GPUs)"

On the other hand, for my other card for "Driver Version" it said only "atiumdag 8.821.0.0 / Win7 64".

So, I tried installing the latest Catalyst Software Suite again and after it finished installing I checked GPU-Z and this time for the card that WAS enabled it said "Disabled (CrossFire available)". So, I go into CCC and under the Performance tab I try to check the "Enable CrossFireX" option but when I check it and then click Apply it just becomes unchecked again.

After all that I restarted my computer and now when I check GPU-Z its right back to how it all was before I installed the Catalyst Software Suite. "Driver Version" includes the '(Catalsyt 11.2)' in it and says CrossFire is enabled while the other doesn't and says CrossFire is disabled.

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Btw if anyone can help me with another problem of mine, whenever I view or watch videos or live streams, such as on justin.tv, pretty much every time after a couple minutes of watching my monitors go black and then come back with the video screen in pure green and a notice saying my display drivers have stopped working but recovered.

How do I fix this problem as well?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

It may be that your second card is faulty. Try swapping cards from one slot to the other and see if the problems persist.

EDIT: Or see if the second card (as the primary) even works.

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Well, I'm pretty sure the video crashing isn't the fault of a faulty second card because that has been happening even before I got the second card.

Is there any way to get the crossfire working though? That's my main concern and top priority. Any help on the CrossFire/GPU-Z issue where only one card shows that it is enabled?

haremxnoxjutsu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Would like to point out that I have been using my XFX RadeonHD 5850 for over a year now with no problems so I know that card is perfectly fine.

Therefore, knowing that one of the cards is definitely working I decided to test out the other RadeonHD 5850 from ASUS. I booted my computer up with only my ASUS GPU hooked up and everything went smoothly. I then went on to test its capabilities using 3DMark11 and 3DMarkVantage.

Afterwards, I hooked up both GPUs and then compared the results and I must say I am quite positive that CrossFire is indeed working. Not only were there improvements in the result but I also saw that my second GPU(ASUS) was pulling its share of the load (I had GPU-Z open and saw that both GPUs were at ~100% for GPU Load during the 3DMark tests).

Now, I'm no expert but this has led me to conclude that CrossFire is indeed working. If it isn't please speak up and let me know why and how to get it to work!

Also, now that the CrossFire concern has been somewhat alleviated I would still like some help on dealing with the "Display Driver has stopped working...." issue.

suj999

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I got a very similer issue with two 5850s (an MSI one and a Sapphire one)

on GPU-Z msi shows crossfire enabled, but the Sapphire says crossfire: disabled?

Tried reinstalling the drivers, bridge connected, quality 600W psu,