Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hey,

I have 2*4GB = 8GB Corsair Vengeance Dual channel. I'm going to play Max Payne 3 soon and I heard the game benefits from extra ram. So I was thinking, should I stick in two more 4GB sticks in there? Is it really worth it (I'm also saving up to buy an SSD soon)?

Thanks

Get 16GB, it will give u few extra frames per game, but don't u do more on PC than just playing games?

Its so cheap to get 16GB, why not to get it?

U can multitask much better.

OK, what about in the near future, u may have another interest and all that RAM would be great.

Learn what u can do with RAM disc and it will give u an idea what u can do.

So get it and be done with it.

Is there a benefit to it? Yes.

Maybe in a year or two games will take some more advantage of more RAM, u never know : )

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I wanna get the low profile corsair vengeance. How long do you think it will stay in stock from now? A long time (aka a year or too)?

SkiYakiToz37

Honorable
May 13, 2012

It all depends on the person whose handling it.

I am not sure I understand correctly the question, bit it is the most popular RAM from Corsair, it will be there for sure.

I am using it s well and it never gave me any trouble.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Dont go for 16gb you not need it unless your doing editing or rendering if you wanna be future proof in gaming then you just need good gpu and processor 8gb is enough as nikorr said you never know in future but its like getting something bigger without need of it technology changes every time you just need to get what you want for your uses

If the SSD is in your mind, get that first, it will give u immediate boost in the speed, it may freak u out : )

I that case, get more RAM later.

U can get this one, It is great, not the fastest today, but if u are on the budget, that one is a great choice.

I have the same one and it is the fastest SSD of the SATA2 era.

For only $64.99 after mail-in rebate card + FREE SHIPPING

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Ram is inexpense and easy to update at any time; while 16gb is nice to have it's not a must have. The real bottle neck on computers today is the HDD so if you plan on save to get the SSD; then save and get the SSD. Afterwards the ram will be there and who knows maybe in a year they will have something better for the same price.

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

First, it's about $65 with shipping and tax. Second, when I buy something for my computer, I tend to go with the latest and almost high-end technology.. so for the ssd, I might buy the vertex 4, not the vertex 2.

Last, nowadays, $65 is a big deal, unless you're gaining money from your rich ass parents (no offence meant).

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Thank you, this will be the best answer!

I should mention that my post was for THE UNKNOWN comment below.

Dont go for 16gb you not need it unless your doing editing or rendering if you wanna be future proof in gaming then you just need good gpu and processor 8gb is enough as nikorr said you never know in future but its like getting something bigger without need of it technology changes every time you just need to get what you want for your uses.

mubin

Distinguished

How 16gb will give extra frame rate? Few program in world can utilize the benefit of 4gb ram. So 8gb is more than enough. Even BF3 dosnt use full 4gb ram. Without heavy multitasking, 8gb ram is useless in think.

Some other guy said in the forum, huge ram can give more performance. But i dont know how without using it. If you explain it or give some benchmark, it will help me.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
In July 2010 I bought for my then new PC: Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 8GB DDR3 4X2GB DDR3-1333. Paid $226 (reg price before price match was $280)

This month I paid $80 this kit: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX 16GB 1600MHz.

The MAIN reason I bought though was due to the price. Next year the price could be double what it is now and this way I have future proofed the PC for software that would make use of this additional RAM down the road.

I do use Photoshop and it helps there. Multitasking is faster and there is much less use of a page file/HDD usage. Getting a SSD only helps in starting the OS, loading programs and retrieving data from the drive. A SSD does not help with multitasking.

It's not a waste to get 16GB ram. What was the waste was the money lost in getting that 8GB kit that if I am lucky I can sell for $20.

Get the 16 GB and enjoy.

Check the test that is done on this website.

I don't have the link now, but check for memory articles and see for yourself.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

As gamer 8gb is enough and your doing photoshop work that's why you need more :)

mubin

Distinguished
I just find the benchmark. But it not that worth using 16gb of ram. 1/2 frame will increase. Here is link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html

But using Ramdisk make sense to use 16gb of ram.

@Yozer34 , if you want to use ramisk, then get 16gb kit. Ramdisk is faster than ssd. See the benchmark yourself i post above. I you will get clear idea.

Note: You have to install Ramdisk software. Upto 4gb is free.
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.