Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I get 16GB RAM?

Last response: in Memory
May 13, 2012 6:03:21 PM

Hey,

I have 2*4GB = 8GB Corsair Vengeance Dual channel. I'm going to play Max Payne 3 soon and I heard the game benefits from extra ram. So I was thinking, should I stick in two more 4GB sticks in there? Is it really worth it (I'm also saving up to buy an SSD soon)?

Thanks

More about : 16gb ram

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 6:20:42 PM

For gaming 8gb is enough more than that mostly used for videos , photoshop like stuff go for ssd :) 
a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 6:22:56 PM

Game benifits form GOOD GPU and PROCESSOR + enough amount of ram
Score
Related resources
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 8:33:07 PM

Yozer34 said:
Hey,

I have 2*4GB = 8GB Corsair Vengeance Dual channel. I'm going to play Max Payne 3 soon and I heard the game benefits from extra ram. So I was thinking, should I stick in two more 4GB sticks in there? Is it really worth it (I'm also saving up to buy an SSD soon)?

Thanks

Get 16GB, it will give u few extra frames per game, but don't u do more on PC than just playing games?

Its so cheap to get 16GB, why not to get it?

U can multitask much better.

OK, what about in the near future, u may have another interest and all that RAM would be great.

Learn what u can do with RAM disc and it will give u an idea what u can do.

So get it and be done with it.

Is there a benefit to it? Yes.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 8:34:27 PM

Yozer34 said:
Hey,

Thanks

Maybe in a year or two games will take some more advantage of more RAM, u never know : )
Score
May 13, 2012 8:36:33 PM

nikorr said:
Maybe in a year or two games will take some more advantage of more RAM, u never know : )

I wanna get the low profile corsair vengeance. How long do you think it will stay in stock from now? A long time (aka a year or too)?
Score
May 13, 2012 8:56:31 PM

Yozer34 said:
I wanna get the low profile corsair vengeance. How long do you think it will stay in stock from now? A long time (aka a year or too)?

It all depends on the person whose handling it.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 9:01:44 PM

Yozer34 said:

I am not sure I understand correctly the question, bit it is the most popular RAM from Corsair, it will be there for sure.

I am using it s well and it never gave me any trouble.
Score
a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 9:05:01 PM

Dont go for 16gb you not need it unless your doing editing or rendering if you wanna be future proof in gaming then you just need good gpu and processor 8gb is enough as nikorr said you never know in future but its like getting something bigger without need of it technology changes every time you just need to get what you want for your uses
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 9:06:07 PM

Yozer34 said:
Hey,

Thanks

If the SSD is in your mind, get that first, it will give u immediate boost in the speed, it may freak u out : )

I that case, get more RAM later.

U can get this one, It is great, not the fastest today, but if u are on the budget, that one is a great choice.

I have the same one and it is the fastest SSD of the SATA2 era.

For only $64.99 after mail-in rebate card + FREE SHIPPING

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
May 13, 2012 9:08:11 PM

Ram is inexpense and easy to update at any time; while 16gb is nice to have it's not a must have. The real bottle neck on computers today is the HDD so if you plan on save to get the SSD; then save and get the SSD. Afterwards the ram will be there and who knows maybe in a year they will have something better for the same price.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 9:10:03 PM

Unless Yozer34 is a child depended on $$$ from the parents,

some $30 more would never even mater.

U know, there is more u can do with more RAM ....
Score
May 13, 2012 9:28:18 PM

I won't pretend to know someone's budget or insult them by saying if they can't afford $30 for ram they must be a child dependent on there parents.
Score
May 13, 2012 10:06:51 PM

nikorr said:
Unless Yozer34 is a child depended on $$$ from the parents,

some $30 more would never even mater.

U know, there is more u can do with more RAM ....

First, it's about $65 with shipping and tax. Second, when I buy something for my computer, I tend to go with the latest and almost high-end technology.. so for the ssd, I might buy the vertex 4, not the vertex 2.

Last, nowadays, $65 is a big deal, unless you're gaining money from your rich ass parents (no offence meant).
Score
May 13, 2012 10:08:19 PM

tyranthoth said:
I won't pretend to know someone's budget or insult them by saying if they can't afford $30 for ram they must be a child dependent on there parents.

Thank you, this will be the best answer!
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 13, 2012 10:12:46 PM

I should mention that my post was for THE UNKNOWN comment below.

Dont go for 16gb you not need it unless your doing editing or rendering if you wanna be future proof in gaming then you just need good gpu and processor 8gb is enough as nikorr said you never know in future but its like getting something bigger without need of it technology changes every time you just need to get what you want for your uses.

Score
a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 10:18:03 PM

Imo go for ssd not for ram if your gamer 8gb is enough
Score
a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 10:44:00 PM

nikorr said:
Get 16GB, it will give u few extra frames per game, but don't u do more on PC than just playing games?

Its so cheap to get 16GB, why not to get it?

U can multitask much better.

How 16gb will give extra frame rate? Few program in world can utilize the benefit of 4gb ram. So 8gb is more than enough. Even BF3 dosnt use full 4gb ram. Without heavy multitasking, 8gb ram is useless in think.

Some other guy said in the forum, huge ram can give more performance. But i dont know how without using it. If you explain it or give some benchmark, it will help me.
Score
May 13, 2012 11:28:07 PM

In July 2010 I bought for my then new PC: Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 8GB DDR3 4X2GB DDR3-1333. Paid $226 (reg price before price match was $280)

This month I paid $80 this kit: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX 16GB 1600MHz.

The MAIN reason I bought though was due to the price. Next year the price could be double what it is now and this way I have future proofed the PC for software that would make use of this additional RAM down the road.

I do use Photoshop and it helps there. Multitasking is faster and there is much less use of a page file/HDD usage. Getting a SSD only helps in starting the OS, loading programs and retrieving data from the drive. A SSD does not help with multitasking.

It's not a waste to get 16GB ram. What was the waste was the money lost in getting that 8GB kit that if I am lucky I can sell for $20.

Get the 16 GB and enjoy.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 1:37:51 AM

mubin said:
How 16gb will give extra frame rate? Few program in world can utilize the benefit of 4gb ram. So 8gb is more than enough. Even BF3 dosnt use full 4gb ram. Without heavy multitasking, 8gb ram is useless in think.

Some other guy said in the forum, huge ram can give more performance. But i dont know how without using it. If you explain it or give some benchmark, it will help me.

Check the test that is done on this website.

I don't have the link now, but check for memory articles and see for yourself.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 1:38:39 AM

I'll try to find it.
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 7:12:10 AM

Traildriver said:
In July 2010 I bought for my then new PC: Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 8GB DDR3 4X2GB DDR3-1333. Paid $226 (reg price before price match was $280)

This month I paid $80 this kit: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX 16GB 1600MHz.

The MAIN reason I bought though was due to the price. Next year the price could be double what it is now and this way I have future proofed the PC for software that would make use of this additional RAM down the road.

I do use Photoshop and it helps there. Multitasking is faster and there is much less use of a page file/HDD usage. Getting a SSD only helps in starting the OS, loading programs and retrieving data from the drive. A SSD does not help with multitasking.

It's not a waste to get 16GB ram. What was the waste was the money lost in getting that 8GB kit that if I am lucky I can sell for $20.

Get the 16 GB and enjoy.

As gamer 8gb is enough and your doing photoshop work that's why you need more :) 
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 7:14:31 AM

I just find the benchmark. But it not that worth using 16gb of ram. 1/2 frame will increase. Here is link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

But using Ramdisk make sense to use 16gb of ram.

@Yozer34 , if you want to use ramisk, then get 16gb kit. Ramdisk is faster than ssd. See the benchmark yourself i post above. I you will get clear idea.

Note: You have to install Ramdisk software. Upto 4gb is free.
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 8:05:38 AM

mubin said:
I just find the benchmark. But it not that worth using 16gb of ram. 1/2 frame will increase. Here is link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

But using Ramdisk make sense to use 16gb of ram.

@Yozer34 , if you want to use ramisk, then get 16gb kit. Ramdisk is faster than ssd. See the benchmark yourself i post above. I you will get clear idea.

Note: You have to install Ramdisk software. Upto 4gb is free.
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...

Like I wrote, it will give u few extra frames per game : )
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 8:46:08 AM

Ok so why to use RAM DISK ?
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 8:59:08 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Ok so why to use RAM DISK ?

What is RAMDisk?

RAMDisk is a program that takes a portion of your system memory and uses it as a disk drive.

Sounds simple? In concept yes, but in practice there are many tricky issues to deal with when operating a RAMDisk in Windows. We continue to work hard to make RAMDisk as easy as possible to use, but there is always room for improvement. We provide updates regularly to improve features and address customer requests. Please be sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (this document) before you try the various RAMDisk settings.

How does it work?

RAMDisk is a kernel-level driver that presents a standard disk drive to the OS, however, it stores and retrieves data from the system RAM on your motherboard instead of an actual, physical disk. Along with the Kernel Driver is a GUI that talks to the driver and allows the user to set various options as well as start and stop the Driver (create or delete a RAMDisk).

The Driver has been written to WDM standards and creates a low-level disk object that Windows Device Manager and Disk Management are able to "see" and manage. You can partition, format, mount a volume, and assign multiple drive letters to RAMDisk (but only if you would know how to do those things with a regular disk, RAMDisk does not do it for you).

Upon successful Start of the RAMDisk, a kernel level driver (RAMDisk.sys) is loaded into the Windows/System32/drivers folder. This driver will be available to Windows each time RAMDisk starts. It is removed when RAMDisk is stopped.

What is the benefit?

In a word: SPEED!

Most users use RAMDisk to speed up applications like:
Browsers cache
RAM Cache for the HDD or SSD
Photoshop (scratch disk)
Databases
Internet Explorer cache for faster web surfing
Audio and Video editing
CAD programs
Software compilers
Speeding up CD duplication
Games
SETI processing
TEMP files
Swap space
Web server cache
Custom applications with high I/O, high bandwidth, or high security requirements

Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:00:52 AM

When I transfer 2GB file from the RAMdisc to my 2TB HDD it starts high around 1.2GB/s the transfer speed.

Than it goes down of course, but it takes -> one, two done!
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:03:31 AM

U should see the decompression of 2K small files from the RAR archive : )
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:13:40 AM

Thanks nikorr just wanted to know data transfer rate :) 
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:15:19 AM

but is it affect mean 8gb used 4gb for ram disk then what remains to my pc ? 4gb or 8gb
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:20:56 AM

U can sett what size u need. So, if u use 2GB as RAMdisc,

only 6GB will be available to your system.

But u don't have to start the RAM disc every time, only when u have use for it.

I use it every day. My 16GB is not enough to do my business, as I am getting too often msg that I am out of memory.
Score
May 14, 2012 9:22:16 AM

I hear Max Payne 3 has a recomendation of 16 GB of ram, so could be the way games are going soon.
Never hurts to have more ram.
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:23:07 AM

bussness ?
Score
a b } Memory
May 14, 2012 9:26:57 AM

Yeah for max is 16gb
Score
May 14, 2012 2:44:46 PM

Prizes of RAM are insanely low right now, I would tage advantage of that :)  Even if you're not an editor who needs like 900GB of RAM, why not put more RAM in for good measure :) 
Score
May 14, 2012 7:37:54 PM

Good measure of what? You don't really need that. That's just buying things simply for the sake of shopping. It will not change anything in your computer, UNLESS you do something else with it, but if you're not planning to do so, it doesn't make sense. In the case that you plan to do something else that will benefit from the extra RAM, then get the high-end stuff when the times comes. You will save some money even, because you will get the high-end stuff later, and it will be much better than the stuff you let grow old inside your case.

And low prices are not a good reason to buy something you don't need. Don't fall to the trick!.

Score
May 20, 2012 11:58:04 PM

Best answer selected by Yozer34.
Score
May 21, 2012 12:06:38 AM

monsta said:
I hear Max Payne 3 has a recomendation of 16 GB of ram, so could be the way games are going soon.
Never hurts to have more ram.

Honeslty, I would buy 16GB (4*4GB) if I'd built my computer this year, since I would probably benefit from quad channel..

The 16GB ram isn't necessarily recommended... just a "maximum" value. Look at the minimum specs, it only needs 2GB ram. I don't think it'll need 14GB more just to run on the maximum graphical settings, otherwise it would've been minimum 6GB ram.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 24, 2012 8:39:36 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!