Mysterious Single Pixel on Desktop Only, help!

ntcosa

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Well, as you can probably tell, the title says it all...

Here is the top left corner of my desktop zoomed in 500%

I can move any window over that area, and the dot goes away, so I know it is only happening on my desktop.

I have tried using default windows images, themes, etc. The dot appears on any settings that I try.

Even when I zoom my Background image in all the way in Photoshop, there is no dot in the top left corner.

Get's annoying seeing 1 white dot in the corner in an all black desktop. Messes up my Mojo >.<

Any ideas?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Radeon HD6850 Black Edition
Resolution 1920x1080 through HDMI to 40" Samsung 5000 Series LED TV

ntcosa

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Update -

I went into Window Color in my Aero Theme, I checked "enable transparency" and it slightly went away, but I did notice that when I mess with the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness of the Window Color, the dot changes to that same colors.

No idea how to get rid of it though

Its called a dead pixel. That's one of the trade offs with LCDs. They get dead pixels. Sometimes they pop up just after you bought it sometimes after years. Its just one of those things. Can't do nothing about it.
No it isn't. If that were the case, then moving a window over it wouldn't make a difference, and neither would color settings.

That having been said, I don't have the faintest clue what it is.

ntcosa

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Its called a dead pixel. That's one of the trade offs with LCDs. They get dead pixels. Sometimes they pop up just after you bought it sometimes after years. Its just one of those things. Can't do nothing about it.

This is wrong, it is not a dead pixel. The Colors change to any color I make the window color, read my second post. Also if it were dead it would not go away when I move other windows over it.

I have read more this morning elsewhere, and found that it is a known bug in Windows 7 when using Aero Theme.. I turned off Aero Theme and the Pixel is acting normal again. It is no longer absent of desktop color.

Kari

Splendid
and you can't take a screenshot off a dead/stuck pixel since it is only 'dead' on the monitor, not in the actuall image data that is shown on the screen, so that alone points to a software bug.... (i assume that is a screenshot since it is so sharp and cropped thightly)

Dadiggle, that sounds like a riddle.

So its all gone with aero off, i would never even see something there since my start bar is on the top of the screen. I moved it and there was nothing hidden there.

So to clear this up, that is in fact a screen capture right? Screen captures tend to not capture screen defects for some reason :)

ntcosa

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

yep, its a screen shot. thanks for actually reading the posts. most of these users see one thing and fail to continue seeing that there has been more development regarding the issue.

ive figured a hot fix to it though. just set a preset aero theme, then change my desktop background only and not save the new theme - it seemed to happen when themes were saved. so im just going now with no saved theme and having no problems anymore

lucky_sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I have the same problem of white pixels on my screen. But in my case there are many.

The strange thing for you guys is that I am using LG desktop monitor and I get the pixels. On moving windows over it or refreshing the screen the pixels clear.

I was very sad on buying a new computer and getting this type of problem. but when I switched to classic theme the problem never came. After some days I switched to Aero theme again. Yesterday I got the pixels again and this time I knew that this is due to Aero theme. I switched to classic theme and they all were gone.

My System Configuration
Motherboard :- Intel DH61WW
Ram :- 4 GB
Processor :- Intel core i5 2400 @ 3.1ghz
VGA :- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 DDR5 1GB
HDD :- Segate 500 GB (SATA)

lucky_sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

I have the same problem of white pixels on my screen. But in my case there are many.

The strange thing for you guys is that I am using LG desktop monitor and I get the pixels. On moving windows over it or refreshing the screen the pixels clear.

I was very sad on buying a new computer and getting this type of problem. but when I switched to classic theme the problem never came. After some days I switched to Aero theme again. Yesterday I got the pixels again and this time I knew that this is due to Aero theme. I switched to classic theme and they all were gone. I think there is a problem with Aero there. I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64

My System Configuration
Motherboard :- Intel DH61WW
Ram :- 4 GB
Processor :- Intel core i5 2400 @ 3.1ghz
VGA :- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 DDR5 1GB
HDD :- Segate 500 GB (SATA)