Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ram Test

Last response: in Memory
May 13, 2012 6:13:31 PM

Hi, I am using new Computer with Intel Desktop Baord Dh61ww and 8 Gb memory. My Windows 7 system was having quite a lot of memory refernce errors. In memtest86+, there were a million errors. But in Windows Memory diagnostics-Extended - no errors were reported.

Which report shall I go by? Should I change the RAM?

Thanking you
Jose.

More about : ram test

a b } Memory
May 13, 2012 11:01:55 PM

What types of error? Do you experience any BSOD? Follow memtest86+ report. This soft is good for memory checking.
May 14, 2012 4:03:20 AM

Mubin, thanks for the reply. Yes, there were BSOD's. Then there was "windows 7 did not start correctly" errors. Total system instability.

I wonder why the Windows Memory Diagnostic (Extended) tool didn't report any errors when Memtest86+ is reporting more than a Million errors.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2012 4:26:22 AM

redo the memtest but with one stick at the time to find witch one give the error
May 15, 2012 4:35:34 AM

Scout, thanks for the reply. I am a hardware dummy, so I may have to call the technician to do that.

So the disparity between the Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest may be because one stick is giving the errors and Windows Memory Diagnostic is uanble to catch it?

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic from Windows 7. Is it necessary to make an ISO of Windows Memory Diagnostic and run?

Thanking you,
Jose.
May 16, 2012 5:39:01 AM

Scout, I did the Windows Memory Diagnostic, it did not report any errors (Even in the Extended check). But memtest86+ is showing huge errors. Why the disparity between the two tests?

My new computer is only 2 weeks old. Since I have 8GB RAM, 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate was installed. After a few days, there were several BSOD's, Memory reference errrors etc. Then Windows would not start properly and go to repair mode and then again won't start and so on, in an endless loop.

Then I installed the 32bit Windows 7. For now, there are no BSOD's. May be 32bit OS is not using the whole 8GB as the 64bit and there are no RAM errors? Maybe the errors are restricted to one of the 2 4GB modules?

But why is Windows Memory Diagnostic giving the RAM a clean chit and Memtest86+ finding a MILLION errors?

Thanking you,
Jose.
a b } Memory
May 16, 2012 5:51:54 AM

Windows memory diagnostic is not as good as memtest86+. Think its better to replace your memory.
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 6:54:30 PM

windows memory is a basic test memtest the real one ,rma those stick if they still under warranty you save yourself a lot off headache
May 17, 2012 4:07:17 AM

scout_03 said:
windows memory is a basic test memtest the real one ,rma those stick if they still under warranty you save yourself a lot off headache

As of now, the 32bit Windows 7 seems to be stable. No BSOD's now. How do I convince the hardware vendor that the RAM is faulty? Will he go by the Memtest86+ report alone?

Do you think the 64bit Windows is causing BSOD's (while 32bit is apparently stable) is because 64bit uses the whole 8gb RAM and 32bit doesn't?

thanking you,
Jose.
a b } Memory
May 17, 2012 5:14:04 AM

jaypee307 said:

Do you think the 64bit Windows is causing BSOD's (while 32bit is apparently stable) is because 64bit uses the whole 8gb RAM and 32bit doesn't?

Then it is. Do you try as scout_03 said? It will help you to find the faulty one.
a b } Memory
May 17, 2012 10:47:53 AM

Memory diagnostics vary widely in detection ability, and the most pessimistic one is almost always the most correct. One maker of portable testing machines used to give out a free memory test that was as effective at finding bit errors as a naive caucasion who spoke only English was at finding human rights violations in a Foxconn factory.

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 6:09:49 PM

it work in windonws 32 because the system only use a max of 4 gig and the 64 use more than that since you got error ask for rma from the memory maker
May 18, 2012 4:00:46 AM

yes, Scout, I will ask the vendor for a replacement for the RAM.

Thanks.
May 25, 2012 3:46:47 AM

Best answer selected by jaypee307.
a c 146 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2012 1:17:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!