Which graphics card is best for this set-up?

animal

Distinguished
Hi all! I am getting ready to build a new system and was wondering what would be the best nVIDIA card(s) to get. Here is what my intended parts will be:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X nVIDIA edition (is currently being shipped to me)

MOBO:Gigabyte G1 Killer Guerrilla (X58 chipset) - haven't ordered yet

CPU: I7 960 3.2 GHz - haven't ordered yet

Memory: 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 - haven't ordered yet

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Sata II (already have, bought on sale last Black Friday)

SSD: not sure (but will get a 40, 60 or 64 GB SATA III) mainly for OS and drivers

ODD: Samsung 8x BD/Combo drive (already have, bought on sale last Black Friday)

PSU: Antec SG850 Watt (already have, lucked out and got it for < $100)

Monitor: Acer GD235HZ 3D display (already have)

nVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (already have)

KB & mouse (already have)

Thermalright 120 TRUE Black Rev. C HSF (already have)

This system is intended for gaming in 3D (hence the nVIDIA 3D Vision Kit) and viewing 3D Blu-ray movies. My question is, considering I already have the PSU I will be using, what would be my best option for nVIDIA graphics cards? I would like to run SLI, but not necessary. Also, before everone gets on me about using an X58 mobo rather than a new P67......well, the P67's are just too hard to find at the moment and I want a mobo that is intended for gaming and fits the nVIDIA green theme (lol). Thanks for all help and recommendations ahead of time, I appreciate it.

Update: I was leaning for a P67 mobo (I know they are better)....thinking of the ASRock P67 Extreme 4 & an Intel i5 2500k and dropping memory to 8 GB Smart Tracer

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
If it's intended for gaming, 6 gigs of RAM is more than enough. Or 4 gigs, if you go Dual-Channel, based on:

Sandy Bridge mobos are coming back into stock, unless you're ordering in the next day or two I'd recommend you just wait for one as you really should be rolling Sandy Bridge, both because it's cheaper and runs better. However, if you absolutely can't wait, then a good pairing with the 960 would easily be the GTX 580. If that's too pricy, consider its cousin the 560 TI.

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
oh, definitely go the Sandy Bridge route... no doubt at this point in time

they're enough 1155 motherboards out now with the new stepping.. try something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130573
- MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0: $165 (in stock + SLI certified)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz: $225

add 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM... and you'll have a much better platform than the 'outgoing' 1366

as for the best video card -> please state how much you're willing to spend...