Cooling help

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
specs: amd x4 955 BE-STOCK COOLER
DDR2 800 RAM
ATI RADEON HD 6770
ANTEC 430 EARTHWATTS 80 PLUS CERT

I'm running at 36c idle, 39c surfing the web, like youtube and 42c watching movies. High end games like crysis (all editions) i'm at 55c, same for torture tests like prime 95. I have co-worker with Cooler hyper 212+ and he gets the same temps, minus 1 or 2 degrees. I have tried AS5 and MX-2 thermal paste.

I am on a budget and can't afford to trial and error heatsinks for example. Looking for help to cool down these temps, or am I okay and reading too much into those temps. I haven't had any shut downs or errors while playing any of those games. Just fans sound like a jet and way loud, both cpu and gpu. Just while gaming, can't hear the fan that much. Anyone with the x4 955, 965, etc. Any cooling tips or ideas. This is just a Micro ATX case, but nothing getting in the way or blocking any fans. I'm downstairs of the house and maybe 70 degrees at the most.

Thx, Steve

Solution
your temps are just fine as the above poster had said. i have a good after market cooler, i hit 55 max under load.

you will pull your hair out trying to get your temps lower while spending less that 30$. if your buddy has the 212+ and the same temps, you'd have to big time upgrade that cooler to see just a little bit better performance.

the 212+ offers best cooling for that price point, and you already meet it. enjoy :).

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
your temps are just fine as the above poster had said. i have a good after market cooler, i hit 55 max under load.

you will pull your hair out trying to get your temps lower while spending less that 30$. if your buddy has the 212+ and the same temps, you'd have to big time upgrade that cooler to see just a little bit better performance.

the 212+ offers best cooling for that price point, and you already meet it. enjoy :).

Solution

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
thanks to all, just bothered me when they show the 955 be max temp of 63c and being at 55c gaming. Since posting, read blog about dropping voltage down to 1.275 and would lower temps....any thoughts or opinions doing that.