Sign in with
Your question

Beware: Asus Network iControl can kill upload speeds

Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2012 12:05:04 AM

At least it did for me according to web based speed tests. Now, if somebody wants to post and tell me that it really isn't a problem and that it just looks like a problem, then I won't argue it at this point, because I haven't extensively tested it with actual uploads. But if anyone sees speed test upload speeds 20x slower than they should be, this may be the reason why.

BTW, this is an Asus Sabertooth Z77.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 12:28:30 AM

Beware, lack of knowledge can kill upload speeds and lead to posting incorrect information with no testing.

It prioritizes current/selected programs over others... I highly doubt its going to prioritize a meaningless 5 second speed test. that's not what its meant for.
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:04:43 AM

unksol said:
Beware, lack of knowledge can kill upload speeds and lead to posting incorrect information with no testing.

It prioritizes current/selected programs over others... I highly doubt its going to prioritize a meaningless 5 second speed test. that's not what its meant for.

Your eagerness to flame, coupled with poor reading comprehension, fails to impress. Let me clarify: I spent too much time trying to figure out why I was getting 0.20 Mbps when I normally get 4.0 Mbps in web based upload speed tests. This was an attempt to save others some of that frustration.

I also glean from your response that the amount of testing I have done is infinitely greater than what you have done, which is zero. I'll do more testing eventually to see how bad it really is, if others don't beat me to it, but for now the off switch works for me. What I already know it does is bad enough. And yes, it does matter if your new high performance PC fails every speed test on the Net.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 4:16:17 AM

Brand new IvyBridge Z77 Asus P8Z77-V Pro install, brand new Win7 SP1 on top of it. This board comes additionally with a Wi-Fi. When I use the LAN connection my upload speeds are about 100k instead of 25MB. When I use the Wi-Fi connection my upload speed is 22+ a good distance from the router. I'm interested to note others have seen this problem too.

I'm running the latest BIOS and have additionally went to Intel and installed the latest drivers (more up to date than Asus site). This didn't help either.
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:25:58 AM

So following the OP's train of thought, I turned of Asus Network iControl and my Speeds returned to full. TY OP! :love: 
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:27:16 AM

3770k, P8Z77 ws latest bios, W7 SP1, ethernet directly from my gateway staring at Asus Network iControl and my upload speeds are fine.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 9:29:51 AM

I didnt install it either , just another program you need to tweak and test, gonna leave mine without it.
m
l
May 16, 2012 1:43:45 AM

I took the time to make an account here to say thank you. My wife threatened to kill me if I didn't figure out why her upload speeds were awful. So, thank you OP.
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:32:30 AM

ajanus said:
I took the time to make an account here to say thank you. My wife threatened to kill me if I didn't figure out why her upload speeds were awful. So, thank you OP.

I had the same problem. I was actually about to turn off the pc and pack up the mother to return to micro center after hours of testing. Thanks OP for getting that figured out, you just saved asus some money.
m
l
May 19, 2012 9:26:29 AM

dmercer3 said:
I had the same problem. I was actually about to turn off the pc and pack up the mother to return to micro center after hours of testing. Thanks OP for getting that figured out, you just saved asus some money.

I too, after trolling for awhile and the palm of my hand finding my forehead more than I care to count, want to thank OP for the posting of Asus iConnect issue.

Thanks again it so appreciated.
m
l
May 22, 2012 9:09:27 AM

Thank You for this info.

My gmail ad hotmail came to crawling speeds, but turning icontrol OFF, brought them back to life.
m
l
May 28, 2012 5:58:32 PM

The same on my ASUS P8Z77V-LX. I had experienced poor uploading speed (15kbyte/sec) when started finding out the root cause of the problem. I used speedtest.net and had 80mbit download and about 0.1mbit upload only. Right after disabling Asus Network iControl and received 80/80 mbit/sec speed.

Latest bios, latest network driver and latest iControl software.
m
l
May 28, 2012 6:37:04 PM

Ok there's nothing wrong with iControl, just because people don't know how to use it doesn't mean the utility is the problem. Do you really seriously think the software engineers would design a utility that actually works the other way around? That's a very strong and inconsiderate accusation.
m
l
June 1, 2012 12:19:29 AM

I'm with the OP on this one for now. My upload speeds via the LAN were abysmal after I finished my new build, and not just on speedtest.net. Uploading photos from Lightroom was ridiculously slow as well. Using the WiFi connection was fine. After trying everything I could think of (updating drivers, trying different cables, bypassing the switch, using both the Intel and Realtek ports on my P8Z77-V Deluxe MB, etc.) I recalled having enabled iControl through the ASUS Suite. One click of the OFF button and the problem was resolved. Since then I have done a little tinkering and have yet to get the upload speed issue resolved with iControl enabled. While it may very well be a useful product, the fact that ASUS provides very little documentation or help (printed, online or otherwise) makes me think that a lot of users will just be turning it off, if they're lucky enough to figure it out.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 12:24:55 AM

turn it off its a complete waste of time and speed
m
l
June 2, 2012 9:39:26 PM

kivblue said:
Ok there's nothing wrong with iControl, just because people don't know how to use it doesn't mean the utility is the problem. Do you really seriously think the software engineers would design a utility that actually works the other way around? That's a very strong and inconsiderate accusation.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? There are many reports right here in this thread stating how icontrol is 100% for sure the reason for the huge speed drop. I will add my name to that list. Thanks for this thread, saved me from reinstalling windows!

I just built a new system, and have been playing around with some other things on it, not really noticing the internet performance. Then yesterday i tried to upload some photos, and it took for ever for 1 to load on my 50/5 connection. I was like :o  . So, like most folks, i head over to do a speed test, and see it in black and white. Downloads were fine, upload was 0.50 mb/s. Then I do all the usual troubleshooting and find full speed during safe mode. So I start killing processes and services till I come across the bandwidth killer, Asus iControl.

Thing is, I don't even remember installing it. It installs as part of the AI suite, and I haven't yet went through all the different features. I guess it's some type of QoS app. I get what it's trying to do, just think its going about it all wrong. It should not default on install to a very extreme limit like that. It should default to a much more relaxed profile, and allow you to fine tune it as you see fit. I'm certain there are folks talking to techs at their local broadband provider right now, trying to blame their cable company for their crappy service, aggravating at how their brand new $$ system is being crippled by them.

Anyways, thanks again to those who confirmed this!
m
l
June 3, 2012 4:58:05 PM

Had the same problem, got better with turning icontrol off. thanks.
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:29:01 AM

Thank you OP. Been dealing with horrible slow down. Disabling IControl fixed it.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:36:44 PM

I found this thread after I discovered that iControl was the culprit in destroying Win7 upload speeds. tcpdump showed that it was corrupting about one packet in every 10 - they had insane lengths (>5k on a 1500 MTU network) and broken checksums, so they were probably completely scrambled.
m
l
June 22, 2012 3:13:20 AM

OP is a lifesaver
i've reinstalled ethernet drivers, accused my ISP of bandwidth throttling and cursed like a drunken sailor among other things. this would have been one of the last things i thought to do. my up speeds were also ~0.20Mbps until i turned icontrol off. now back up to normal.
thank you
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:49:20 PM

I had the same issue turing of I control solved it, I ASUS coming with an update?
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 4:43:04 PM

djmdjm said:
I found this thread after I discovered that iControl was the culprit in destroying Win7 upload speeds. tcpdump showed that it was corrupting about one packet in every 10 - they had insane lengths (>5k on a 1500 MTU network) and broken checksums, so they were probably completely scrambled.

turning on jumbo frames also helps
m
l
June 29, 2012 6:34:19 PM

Thanks OP, glad I came across this post.

m
l
July 2, 2012 5:59:11 PM

Can only concur with previous posters. Im on a 100/100 mbit fiber connection in Sweden, and iControl totally killed my upload speeds. They were down to something lik 0.5 mbit with iControl enabled. As soon as I found this post i disabled it, and voila. Back up to 90+ mbit upload speeds.
m
l
July 5, 2012 11:16:25 AM

Rataan said:
At least it did for me according to web based speed tests. Now, if somebody wants to post and tell me that it really isn't a problem and that it just looks like a problem, then I won't argue it at this point, because I haven't extensively tested it with actual uploads. But if anyone sees speed test upload speeds 20x slower than they should be, this may be the reason why.

BTW, this is an Asus Sabertooth Z77.

I too had this problem after building a new machine with P8Z77-V Pro motherboard. Not only was my Speedtest incredibly slow (.3Mbs) but I couldn't figure out why the Remote Connection from my laptop to the new build was so slow. It would take about one minute to refresh the display. Completely unusable. As a total shot in the dark I decided to turn iControl off and my problems immediately disappeared. I thought I must be crazy so I did a search and stumbled upon this thread. Thanks to OP for verifying my suspicions. People who are flaming, need to get their facts straight!
m
l
July 6, 2012 6:37:35 AM

Just wanted to add my voice to the choir.

iControl killed my upload speeds across ethernet (15k/s) despite following the instructions to the letter and supposedly prioritising programs for network performance.

This was on a Asus P8Z77-V Premium, that I was about to return as faulty until I discovered the real culprit- iControl.

Can’t quite grasp how Asus could ship software in this state- terrible.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 7:27:45 AM

Let me do some tests with ASRock's XFast Lan...

With(Traffic Shaping):

Without(Traffic Shaping Disabled):

WTF! It's much faster with it off..
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:37:00 AM

Thank you OP for this helpfull post. I've spent some time along with my ISP to find out why my uploads were so low...result zero. After that, I was intrigued about this Network iControl cause I couldn't find a way to configure it and start searchin over Internet to find some documetation about it...then this thread was shown up in Google search... WOW...THAT's why my upload was so bad. I've uninstall that crap and bang, upload has just jumped from a lousy 0.4 Mbps to 4.88 Mbps. I've reported this to my ISP as well to have this solution in the knowledge database.

P88Z77-M PRO motherboard, I5 3570K, 8 GB RAM, clean Win7 64bit Ultimate install
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:00:37 AM

I'd like to take a moment to laugh in the face of anyone who has stated iNetwork Control is a positive utility. You may believe it to be, and it may have been programmed with the intent to be, but the cold hard fact is that with more than a handful of people's builds, it has done some real damage and wasted a lot of our time.

My upload speed was 0.5mbps and it took me minutes to check my email because the server was struggling to communicate with my computer, due to iNetwork Control. That's right, I couldn't freakin' read email properly, and uploading homework felt like I was at school with 500 other people riding the same connection, even though I was at home, the only one using my bandwidth.

So, the conclusion drawn is that iNetwork Control is very glitchy, and I really don't like the fact that it has no right-click options in the system tray. I killed the process and disabled it from the AS Suite, but my upload speed was still 0.5mbps, then I finally said, $#%* it and uninstalled it, rebooted, and my upload speed was at 8.5mbps.

I'll be dropping ASUS an email for sure.

Thank you OP and have a great day everyone!
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:50:56 PM

Thank you. Thank you. This was driving me crazy trying to figure out the problem. Turning off icontrol fixed everything.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 11:20:06 AM

Indio_77 said:
Can only concur with previous posters. Im on a 100/100 mbit fiber connection in Sweden, and iControl totally killed my upload speeds. They were down to something lik 0.5 mbit with iControl enabled. As soon as I found this post i disabled it, and voila. Back up to 90+ mbit upload speeds.

Yup.
I'm also in Sweden. Has 100/10 fiber.
Brand new computer with ASUS P8z77-V-Pro.
Yesterday I had like 5/0,2 down/up.

Today I disabled iControl and now I have 93/12 Mbit down/up.

Crap ASUS software!!!!!!
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:31:38 AM

Thanks, Rataan. I had the same experience as you. Went from 0.5 Mbps to 4.5 Mbps upload after disabling iControl.
m
l
July 30, 2012 12:23:27 AM

Chalk me up as another one caught by this program. Incidentally, you don't have to uninstall AI Suite II where Network iControl is found. Just go to Tools --> Network iControl and shut it OFF there. :wahoo: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2012 1:58:54 PM

I was also having the same problem. Turning off Network iControl worked. Now my LAN speed is 1.0Gbit/s as it should be, previously with Network iControl ON it was like 10kbit/s.
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:33:36 PM

Same here... turned Network iControl OFF in AI Suite and my upload speed went from 0.5 to 23.7Mbps!!
Thank you OP for opening this thread! :wahoo:  :pt1cable:  :wahoo: 

Asus P8Z77-v Pro
m
l
August 12, 2012 4:10:48 AM

kimbi said:
Same here... turned Network iControl OFF in AI Suite and my upload speed went from 0.5 to 23.7Mbps!!
Thank you OP for opening this thread! :wahoo:  :pt1cable:  :wahoo: 

Asus P8Z77-v Pro

Same here in Atlanta, GA on brand new Windows 7 PC. Uninstalled ASUS AI Suite with Network iControl and upload speed immediately returned to normal. Was running as low as 0.2 Mbps with Network iControl. Removed it and now back to 10 times that. Thanks for the posts. Glad I found you guys. Have spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure it out.
m
l
August 12, 2012 4:25:37 PM

I've had my setup for about 3 months now, (Asus Sabertooth Z77) and I never suspected anything because my previous Internet provider only advertised upload speeds of 1 Mbps, so I just figured it was my provider to blame when all I could get were .3 Mbps to .8 upload speeds. But I switched providers 4 days ago, and this provider claims upload speeds of 10 Mbps, my upload speeds were not going higher than 2 Mbps, but were as low as .3 Mpbs. But the problem was very intermitent, like as if I had a flaky NIC card, I could run one test and get .3 Mpbs and 5 mins later I would get 2 Mbps. I was going to call my provider on Monday to complain, I was 100% sure the problem was on their end, but by chance decided to run the speed test on my wifi laptop and got uploads of 7 Mbps. So I immediately re-tested my desktop in safe mode and low and behold, I also got upload speeds of 7 Mbps. So I booted back up in regular mode and started killing processes one by one and sure enough when I killed the netictrltray and netsvchelp processes my upload speeds were back to normal. I then googled it and found those process were related to Ai Suites then I found this thread. I'm really glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but there must be thousands and thousands of other unsuspecting Asus customers who are unaware of this problem and experiencing upload times reminicent of the old 56 kbps modem days. Asus should issue a patch that disables this feature by default until they can figure out what the problem is.

Just wondering, since everyone here have probably installed this AI Suites and have a similar setup to me. I'm experiencing another problem that I can't figure out the cause and can't find any solutions on the net. It's very very intermittent, the issue is that when watching videos (could be youtube, VLC, etc), the computer will occasionally freeze (ie. mouse and video) for like a second and I'll hear like an electrical buzzing sound in the speakers. It doesn't happen when playing games. The graphics card is a Zotac Geforce GTX 560, but it's the same card I had in my previous build and never had this issue. The motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth Z77. The Sound card is the onboard one. I have two 4MB sticks of Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Has anyone else here experienced this?
m
l
August 16, 2012 1:48:56 AM

Made an account just to say thank you. I bought a new ethernet card after sooo much struggle with this issue (tried everything I could think of, and got it to work once but then couldn't afterwards) because I thought it was the driver, and wow I was frustrated when it didn't work. I can finally stream now, so thank you very much! You're awesome, I wish I'd stumbled across this a lot sooner.
m
l
August 16, 2012 11:21:27 PM

I also would like to say thank you. Fought this for a month before I finally stumbled on this post. Went from less than 1 Mbps upload speed to over 4 Mbps by turning off ASUS Network iControl. My internet email program response time is now almost instantaneous vs taking many seconds to respond before turning off ASUS Network iControl.
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:03:25 PM

:love:  :pt1cable:  :bounce: 
Quote:
turning on jumbo frames also helps

BINGO! What a difference. This is what I am talking about. Now there are no delays when I click on a website.
:hello: 
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:04:42 AM

Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo......Same issue. New build a week ago, had comcast out to upgrade and speed test revealed 36/.2 vs expected 36/6. Wireless tested perfectly. Been unplugging/replugging, diabling/enabling for 3 hours now then I found this thread.

Disabling Network iControl fixed it.

Thank you all who provided!
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:10:53 PM

Wow. Thank you so much for this. I cannot believe that asus would be default install software that slows my upload speeds down to a standstill. I was trying to figure out why I was having trouble streaming SCII with a new build and had tried everything from changing my router's firmware to updating my network card drivers to running a new cable (pain in the ass because I run it through my house's walls).

To everyone saying this is not iControl's fault. I have had slow upload issues since I built my computer and disabling iControl immediately fixed the problem.

I should add this is with a P8z77 pro with a 3770k
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:52:19 AM

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what happened to my internet speed. Asus is criminal in releasing such programs, and turning it on by default.
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:54:25 PM

I forgot I even had this stupid program installed on my computer.
I built a server for my company, and it achieved, I kid you not 10 KBPS transfer speeds to and from the server which is lanned.

After buying 2 new network cards, a gigabit switch, I realized this program was installed and disabled it. Now transferring at 100 mbps.

What a stupid and intrusive program.
m
l
September 9, 2012 3:24:25 AM

P8Z77-V Deluxe - PC Build Date 6/12/12 - BIOS 0801 (factory)

Add me to group spending endless hours tracking down this issue. Was just about to do a BIOS update, but have been reading all the issues/risks doing that. I am sure glad I found this thread.

What gets me is that Asus customer support seems to have NO idea that IControl causes this. I first setup my new build using wireless. Then when I was completely done, and moved it to my office, I used the wired connection. My wife started complaining about how slow my "new fast" PC was. Pages did not load, or took forever. I tested my using a speed test, and i was only getting 100 Kps upload. My two other PC's were getting 980 Kps. I switched to wireless and bamm, 980 Kps also.

Opened a ticked with Asus. They had NO clue. It was difficult to even get them to understand that it could not be my ISP, since my other wired PCs worked just fine. They then came back and said, "You need to update your drivers and BIOS". A lot of good that would have done.

Does Asus not keep a database of issues? There is even a fix now out for iControl, so someone MUST have known. It's extremely disappointing, with a company so large, that this type of problem goes undocumented at Asus. It should be ALL over their support web PAGE. "ATTENTION USERS OF ASUS MOTHERBOARDS, WE SCREWED UP, UPDATE YOUR ASUS UTILITIES OR DISABLE iControl".

Anyway, many thanks to the original poster for starting this thread.

Vanteer
m
l
September 13, 2012 5:19:33 AM

Ok, I am still going around in circles. I have had my setup for now 2-3 months and still experiencing slow interenet.
I have the P8Z77 Deluxe and have tried both NIC's as well as Wireless.
I made sure to have AI suite and iControl deleted / removed. All drivers up to date. Tried removing / reinstall / delete driver files. Nothing is working.
The internet on this computer is slow, on Speedtest max download I could achieve is 4-5 Mbps .. My upload tops at my 2Mbps.

I know it is something on this new computer as I have 6 other computers / devices that could get 30-40Mbps on speedtest under the same router and even through wireless.

I tried SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer, still no hope. Interesting thing is way back I had reformatted and put a new windows install. Speed is all good then after running bunch of the Asus updates/files it seems to corrupt a setting somewhere that cannot be found!
HELP!
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:37:55 PM

Hi Clarionguy -

Sure seems like a different issue, since there is no change between wireless and wired. The next thing i was going to try, until i found this post, was to test normal data transfer from PC to PC. Take a 4-5 GB file, and copy it between PC's. New PC to other PC, and other PC to other PC, and other PC to New PC. May give you some clues. Seems this would test your lan ports, and see if there is any significant differences. And remove the internet from the equation.

You could try Asus support, but good luck there. They sure were NO help on this iControl bug. But if you do, try to request second level support, as their first level just gives you general steps for every issue help. It's your ISP, it's your drivers, it's your BIOS, it's all in your mind..... etc......

BTW - I hope everyone with the IControl bug has opened a ticket with Asus. They need to get hammered about this, and their lack of knowledge about the bug.

Vanteer
m
l
September 15, 2012 9:38:32 PM

Well after reading yet another hassle with ASUS I think I will go with an Asrock instead. 30 bucks cheaper and not all the dirty laundry.
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:41:18 AM

Rataan, I created an account just to reply to this thread.

Why? Because upload speeds are extremely important in my line of work (I work in advertising and transfer large image and video files to clients all the time through Dropbox and Yousendit, and BOTH suddenly had upload speeds of 7-8kb/s).

I was going crazy trying to solve this - tweaked all my network settings, called up my ISP, to no avail.

Finally, I wondered if my ASUS mainboard was faulty, and googled "ASUS upload speed slow" - YOUR POST LITERALLY SAVED ME MANY MORE HOURS OF TROUBLESHOOTING (and potentially travelling, trying to get my computer "fixed").

True that many of us here may be "noobs", and may "not know how to use the iControl software correctly". But *** all that, it's SUPPOSED to be a one-touch solution for noobs (as evidenced by the huge "ON/OFF" button that greeted me at the launch screen), so we can't be blamed for using the software as expected (i.e. hitting the big "ON" switch).

I know it must suck to post a really (REALLY) good piece of information, only to be flamed by individuals who get their kicks out of showing how "superior" they are to others. I (along with many others here it seems) just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for your help, and to keep up the amazing spirit of sharing great info online! :D 
m
l
!