Sign in with
Your question

1st Timer Needing Guidance

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2011 12:45:50 AM

Hey, so, I've never built a rig before, but I really want to learn. My father, who posts around here a bunch, is going to oversee me putting it together, but I'm in charge of picking out and buying all the components and I have absolutely no idea where to even start.

Ideally, I'd like something that I won't have to worry about upgrading for the next 4-5 years or so (which I know is eons for computers...) I'm a pretty big gamer, but beyond that, I hope for it to be the central media hub for the house.

Approximate Purchase Date: Ideally in the next month, but I'd be willing to wait a couple if something hot is on the horizon.

Budget Range: $2000-2500. I'm pretty flexible on this, I'd much rather pay a little more now and not have to worry about upgrading anything for a while.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: OS(Win7), Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm in WA, USA, so newegg, or any site without sales tax. (Not amazon)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None.

Overclocking: Probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: No preference

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Beyond knowing the components in general terms, I have no idea the pros and cons of specific manufactures, chipsets, etc. So, if you are up to the challenge, I'd love to hear your advice. Thanks!
May 31, 2011 1:10:40 AM

How much are you wanting to spend on the, Monitor, keyboard, OS and Speakers? I'm guessing $200 for the monitor and $100 for the OS, a $100 for the Keyboard (If you want a cool one!) and $100 for the speakers?
May 31, 2011 1:21:01 AM

If you use this link,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as a reference to the parts you need, you can get a good idea of the cost. I would suggest getting better video cards though, maybe 2 6970's. That would keep your computer up to date for years. You could do with less RAM if you would like, but with that budget the sky :bounce:  is the limit. What games where you planning on running?
Related resources
May 31, 2011 1:50:21 AM

I've got a couple of nice monitors, and my uncle works for Microsoft, so the OS, and some nice peripherals are covered dirt cheap.

I figure whatever I build with this budget it is going to run pretty much everything now flawlessly, its more that I want it to be able to run games released in 2 years, and be able to handle whatever new stuff comes up in 4.

Is it generally pretty easy to just take the components of a prebuilt system and find the parts, potentially upgrade some, and build it? I really want the experience of building it myself.
!