Which memory to select

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike 06

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I'm building a gaming computer and I'm installing an Intel I-5 3570K processor, and an Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard. I need to know which memory to choose that would be compatible and fast with this system. I see you can use 1333 or 1600, but I dont know which is better? Also I cant find the voltage of the ram I need for these components. If you dont mind please help me select he proper memory, and voltage. I want 8g of a 2X4g setup. I would prefer to use Crucial if possible. I would also be using a hyper 212 cooler.

Thanks in advance

Solution
And from Crucial BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG @ $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148555

TRUSTED PERFORMANCE
This 8GB (4GB x 2) DDR3 1866 kit, with low CAS latency of 9, has passed rigorous testing to meet or exceed specifications when used on the latest Intel and AMD platforms. Each module features a heat spreader design resulting in up to 30% better performance in heat dissipation over its predecessors.

UTILITY WORK
The Crucial Ballistix MOD utility also allows you to view uptime, voltages, and set alarms for temperatures. Enjoy real-time temperature monitoring and keep tabs on your high-performance memory while you play. A voltage and temperature history is also included, where the highest measured voltage...
I like this one... high performance one.

For Z77 & 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors
G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX
DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Timing 10-12-12-31
Cas Latency 10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587

10015253.jpg

And from Crucial BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG @ $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148555

TRUSTED PERFORMANCE
This 8GB (4GB x 2) DDR3 1866 kit, with low CAS latency of 9, has passed rigorous testing to meet or exceed specifications when used on the latest Intel and AMD platforms. Each module features a heat spreader design resulting in up to 30% better performance in heat dissipation over its predecessors.

UTILITY WORK
The Crucial Ballistix MOD utility also allows you to view uptime, voltages, and set alarms for temperatures. Enjoy real-time temperature monitoring and keep tabs on your high-performance memory while you play. A voltage and temperature history is also included, where the highest measured voltage and temperature data is stored. Ballistix MOD Utility is downloadable at http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/crucial_bl-mod-utility.aspx.

REAL TIME TEMPERATURE MONITORING SYSTEM
Keep tabs on your high-performance Crucial Ballistix Elite or Ballistix Tactical Tracer modules with integrated thermal sensors. Dial in your system using the M.O.D. utility to monitor temperature in real time.

INTEGRATED AND CUSTOMIZABLE LED LIGHT SYSTEM
The Ballistix Tactical features activity-indicating LEDs on the top edge and ground-effect LEDs along the bottom. These high-performance Tactical Tracer modules are available in Orange/Blue or Red/Green color combinations; use the M.O.D. utility to select from four different LED patterns. You can choose your color, adjust brightness, turn LEDs on or off, and monitor temperature — all in real time.

SUPPORT FOR INTEL XMP
Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) technology provides a robust, profile-based overclocking solution for novice and experienced overclockers - easily overclock your platform by selecting the predefined profile in the BIOS, or manually adjust frequency and timings to extract maximum performance from your system.

Ballistix240-pinDIMMDDR3tacticaltracer.jpg

Solution

mike 06

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the response.

I noticed you have selected different speeds, voltages and timings. Do I need to use a certain voltage so I dont ruin the CPU? Also the timings seem high on the Trident, but I'm not positive since the speed is different. Is this a fast timing for the newer first person shooter games as BF3?

3rd gen. have improved memory controller. 1.65V or less.

The differences between the both RAM sticks is small, not noticeable to your eyes, unless u will use RAM disc.

In the games its just a few FPS gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.