Sign in with
Your question

Z77: ASRock Extreme4 or Gigabyte UD3H

Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2012 3:44:58 AM

Hello.

I decided a week ago I was going to get the UD3H, but I read there were many problems with the audio and the board itself.

I know that to get the right motherboard I need to ask myself what features I need, but I am confused on what features come with each motherboard.

I'd like to have some nice OC features, possibly dual GPU slots, and a PS/2 (Not needed, I can get a USB one if necessary.) Just a nice mobo for the price that can last a couple of years.

Money is not really a problem since Micro Center is having a deal with the 3570k.

The Extreme4 is $90

The UD3H is $115.
May 14, 2012 4:29:30 AM

Is this deal still going on? Can't find it on their website
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 8:43:11 AM

Ud3h
Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:57:38 PM

Yes, the deal is still going on.

On topic: Can you tell me why you picked the UD3H? I compared both but I couldn't tell the difference since I am clueless on motherboard. Only thing I notice was that the Extreme4 had Realtek audio.
May 14, 2012 9:08:47 PM

Extreme4. After the GIGABYTE z68 fiasco I won't get any boards from them.
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 9:09:58 PM

I'd save the $25 unless you need the plethora of extra connections and headers provided by the UDH3. Both are very good at their respective price points.

My PC is only and will only be used to play games so I didn't need eSATA, 1394 Firewire, or more than the standard load of USB ports (keyboard, joystick, etc).

Your purposes should dictate the solution.
May 14, 2012 11:53:57 PM

I would stay away from combo deals altogether, sometimes they don't honor the warranty for a combo deal. You may want to inquire Micro Center on the return policy on combo deal as well.

As for the mobo, I'd go with Gigabyte UD5H
May 15, 2012 2:02:52 AM

Tell you what, firelance. I picked the ud3h, but won't have it put together until the 17th or so. If you can wait, I'll let you know if I have any issues. But that doesn't really answer your questions about which to get...
May 15, 2012 2:38:16 AM

kivblue said:
I would stay away from combo deals altogether, sometimes they don't honor the warranty for a combo deal. You may want to inquire Micro Center on the return policy on combo deal as well.

As for the mobo, I'd go with Gigabyte UD5H

They are not packaged together. It's a retail boxed MB and CPU. Warranty is the same as separate. The deal is just discounted for purchasing both items at the same time. I bought the Asrock Pro 4 and the 3750k yesterday and it looks like the PCI-e slots are bad and the board needs to go back.
May 25, 2012 10:36:51 PM

I got my build all put together, and so far the UD3H is performing great. For my first time overclocking, it let me get my 3570K up to about 4.3 holding around 65 degrees with a Hyper 212 EVO. No problems with the audio yet, but I don't have a surround sound speaker set up to really test it, only a basic 2.1 setup. And even with the Hyper 212 blowing in a push setup towards the rear exhaust, there's enough space to use all 4 of the DIMM slots, even though I'm only using 2 Mushkin Blacklines. I have no idea what the compatibility issues are if you did want to use all 4, however.
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 12:41:51 AM

Congrats!
May 26, 2012 1:24:08 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Congrats!

In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd save the $10-20 or so and went with the Extreme 4, but it wasn't in stock at the time. While I'm using most of the USB 3.0 ports on the back, I don't have a single 3.0 device so having 6x 3.0 ports wasn't necessary, and I am very unlikely to use the mSATA feature either. But having the dual bios feature is nice on the UD3H. For the OP, these are all features that you need to consider.
!