Forced for a new computer

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So, I'm planning to find a job over the summer to pay for my new computer. I was wondering what I should have. I am building my computer around this CPU:Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz. I was wondering if that was any good. The reason for building a new computer is because my current HP m7640n computer is dying on me. I've had it for about 6 years now and the motherboard is starting wig out. The PCI-Express slot doesn't work anymore after two weeks of using my brand new gpu. And I know it's not the card because I tried it on my dad's computer.
Things I don't need is a CD-drive, which i'll take from my old cpu and a sound card.
I need to find a case, a good reliable mother board for gaming, a new harddisk,ram and a heatsink. I already have a gts 450 and an antec 430 watt psu. Can anyone recommend me anything. My budget is around 300-400 dollars.

300-400 won't get you everything you need with an i5. I'd recommend an i3-2100 + H67 motherboard. The i3, although it's a dual core, can actually hold up really well in games (beats a lot of AMD quad cores), and is pretty darn cheap. Couple that with a Samsung F3 1TB and 4GB (2x2GB kit) of RAM and you'd be good to go.