Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 is misreading my network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 29, 2010 2:46:21 PM

Hello,

Our old d-link access point quit working, so I replaced it with a new d-link access point which is now working fine, except on one computer. In making the change I switched the security from WEP to WPA-PSK, TKIP w/a 26 digit passcode. Our computers with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 work fine once I changed the settings. However, I have one desktop with Windows 7 that keeps giving me the following message:

"The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network."

I have changed the settings and even deleted the network on that computer and put it back in, yet for some reason it is still reading the network connection as WEP. If I try to connect using the old settings it fails. One other oddity is that even though I get the above message and a red X shows on my wireless connection, sometimes I am still able to use the internet, but it is slow.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and found a fix?

Best solution

a c 253 $ Windows 7
December 1, 2010 11:34:27 AM

From digging through Microsoft's forums, seems this problem is fairly common and is complained about often. I have several Win7 systems and have never seen this, but there does appear to be a manual fix.

You need to use regedit to modify your registry to remove these networks.

***The only working solution found from MS forums follows***

Before you do this make sure do perform a back up of your registry.

Do a search for the SSID name in registry and delete every folder that the string is located in, continue to search the registry until it returns with no more matches.

Restart your system. When the system restarts, those undesirable networks
should no longer be there.

Good luck!!!
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2012 10:36:28 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2012 10:36:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!