Your question

Narrowing down to bad DIMM

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • DIMM
Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2012 10:43:26 AM

I just built my first ever rig! Specs:

MoBo: MSI760GM-P23 (FX) 760G AM3+ R (2 DIMM slots)
GPU:XFX 6770 Radeon HD
PSU: ROSEWILL|RD500-2SB 500W RT
MEM: 2Gx2|CORSAIR CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 R
HDD: 500G|WD SATAIII WD5000AAKX
CPU: AMD ATH II X3 455 3.3G AM3 RT

I got it up and running but noticed in the BIOS that it stated that I only had 2GB of memory. Everything is up to date now (BIOS, windows, Drivers etc...) but it is still saying that there is only 2GB in the BIOS. Windows 7 Reports 4 GBs but only 2GBs are usable. CPUz also states 4 GBs and that I'm running single channel instead of dual.

So the first test i did was on the RAM. I removed both and then inserted just one stick into DIMM slot number one. I cut on the power and the PC would not post. I then inserted the second stick of ram into DIMM slot number one and again it would not post. I then inserted the ram into just DIMM slot number 2 and the Mobo successfully posted and launched windows. This worked with both sticks of ram.

I'm sort of new at building PCs, but I assume that this means that the Mobo's first DIMM slot is faulty? I did give a few other things a shot like increasing the voltage, resetting the CPU and cleaning out the DIMM slot with compressed air. I can send the Mobo in for a replacement, I just wanted to leave no stone left unturned (especially because sending in the Mobo means that I'll be waiting to play D3!!)

Opinions?!

More about : narrowing bad dimm

May 14, 2012 12:11:26 PM

So anyone out there concur? Is it a safe bet that the DIMM is faulty or could something else be wrong, perhaps? :??: 
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 2:04:45 PM

Rma MOBO
Related resources
May 14, 2012 2:34:12 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Rma MOBO

That's what I'm going to do! I have 7 days to send it back it newegg, so I might test Diablo 3 at midnight tonight and then send it out tomorrow :) 
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 2:42:21 PM

Good idea send it as soon as possible :) 
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 2:42:40 PM

Good idea :) 
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 2:54:01 PM

Good idea :) 
a c 491 V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 3:52:54 PM

the ram you have not on there qal list.i would try some dimms on there list to see if it the ram or mb.
May 14, 2012 3:59:07 PM

smorizio said:
the ram you have not on there qal list.i would try some dimms on there list to see if it the ram or mb.

Maybe a good idea. Why does it work with 1 of them in though? If I use the same stick in DIMM#2 in DIMM#1 it wont even post. But it works just fine when I have either stick in DIMM#2.
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 4:02:44 PM

Most motherboards support most RAM of the same technology, even if it's not on the supported list. That list is just a list of memory kits that the manufacturer tested, not an exclusive support list. It basically says that "hey, these are what we've tested and shown to work, but other kits should work ,we just don't guarantee it".

The problem seems to be a faulty RAM slot, although as to what exactly is wrong with it, I don't know. It might have a bent or otherwise damaged pin (or multiple pins), it might be seated on the motherboard improperly, it might have a faulty trace on the board between it and the CPU, it could be one (or more) of even more possible problems. Regardless of the why, an RMA of your motherboard is the best course of action.
!