Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600k system.

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2011 10:21:59 AM

Hey there,

I'm new to the whole PC building scene - this is my first build. Very excited about building this pc. I'm after a very fast PC for general application running, gaming, and autocad programs. I've made a preliminary design, but I know it's not perfect and I haven't included extra fans or a CPU cooler. If I'm going to overclock this processor - what kind of extras will I need? I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money on water cooling.

I'm not going to use the case shown in the screenshot - I'll probably use the Fractal R3 or the Corsair 600t. But I need your help on how to improve it (don't want to spend a lot more than I am already).

Thanks a lot - http://yfrog.com/h4dqihyp

Luminouslime.

More about : 2600k system

May 31, 2011 10:29:36 AM

^ Will you be adding 1 more graphic card in Crossfire later on ?? If Yes, then you would have to change the mobo as it has only 1 PCIe x16 slot,... If No, then you wont need an 800W PSU to power a single card, a good 600W should do,...

You could actually get the i5 2500K if it is going to be mainly a gaming PC as the 2500K offers performance similar to 2600K in terms of gaming,... Only in CAD and other productivity tasks, the 2600K offers advantage,...
May 31, 2011 10:33:17 AM

Yeah well I will be doing some CAD on it. I don't think I'll be running two graphics cards, but can you recommend a good mobo with 2 PCIe slots at a decent price? Also, is the graphics card an okay size for the Fractal R3? With Overclocking too, how much extra cooling will I need if I overclock to around 4.0Ghz?
Related resources
May 31, 2011 10:57:17 AM

^
PSU - Get the 650W Corsair, for a single card config, it will suffice,...
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/257232

Case & GPU - The max length of the graphic card is 280mm - 11", supported by the R3, and the 6950 is about 10.5" so it would fit,...
I would suggest you add a fan or 2 to the case so as to improve cooling even further,... Also R3 will not be suitable for multiple cards and anyways you have said that you will not be using more than 1 card, so its fine,...

CPU Cooler- If overclocking, then Cooler MAster Hyper 212+ or Scythe Mugen 2 would be good and can easily handle 4GHz overclock without any issues,... Also the case with a single graphic card setup and additional fans should be fine,...
!