HD 5770 Overclocking

Hey guys, i know this site isnt really for asking OC questions but i dont feel like signing up on another site cause i love this one.

ANYHOW, today i Overclocked my Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X using msi afterburner. (Ill show u a pic of GPU-Z and furmark) but my question is, is it okay for the Graphics card to run up to 80C? Like its pretty damn hot and i dont know if thats going to "own" my card. I did the burn in test of furmark 1.9.0 for about 20 mins which i thought was reasonable. I clocked the core to 930mhz and Memory to 1340mhz. I didnt touch the shader and core mV. So i havent seen it go above 80C but lets say when the summer comes it goes up to 85C is that okay? Or will i have to clock it down a bit?

On furmark 1.9.0 i did the benchmark like on their site.

res: 1280x1024
No AA
Dynamic background enabled

My score was 1475 and 24 fps.
*just wondering what you guys got as well so i can compare*

-Thanks
52 answers Last reply
More about 5770 overclocking
  1. this is not my pic, im just tryin to figure out how to post pictures here.

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=14034g
  2. Do you have the fan turned up or is it on Auto still ? There should be a enable manual fan control box to tick somewhere then you can set the fan a little higher to bring the temp down. 80 is a little high but the cards are tested to higher. Will it shorten the life of the card ? probably but how much ? dont really know but i would guess its not by much.
    Your on the limit of what i would find acceptable personally but i know people do run the cards hotter.

Mactronix :)
  3. i mean 80C on full load eh? And yes i do have auto fan enabled, I dont like how if i set it to a certain percentage. the fan is ALWAYS going to run at that percentage. So i mean like if im doing just casual stuff i always have to change it.
  4. 80 at full load will be fine.

Some people like to set profiles using the manual control but i recon 80 at full load in furmark will be ok. It wont get that stressed gaming anyway.

5. sweet, thanks. And if it goes higher in the summer will i just have to jack up the fan control or lower the clocks?
  6. Thats pretty much it yes. If summer is very hot where you are then a little tip, if you have room, is to simply remove the side of the case and aim a desktop fan at the case.

7. sounds "chilly" ha ha. I actually have a spot for a fan on the side of my case that is pretty much on the same level as the graphics card. I believe it takes a 120mm and 90mm. Should i put a fan right there so it blows directly on the graphics card or have it suck air out? (also, which would be more effective 90mm or 120mm?)
  8. There are different schools of thought to In or out, to me it depends on what fans are there already. Try it both ways and test temps that way you know for sure. A 120mm will move more air at a lower speed = less noise so i would go with that option.

9. thanks ill do that :D
  10. my card goes to 87 in furmark, but realistically it never gets past 78 in game. I wouldnt even run furmark as a stress test anymore after hearing stories of peoples cards being burned out by it. It creates an unnatural load on the card which will never be replicated in game. As for your fan situation, the best bet is to have a large fan exausting hot air from the upper rear and another fan (can be smaller) on the lower front of the case. Hot air rises so there is no point exhausting air from the bottom of the case. from what i have heard a fan blowing on the card from the side panel can increase temps as it changes the air flow in the case. you can try it if you want, but i dont think i is needed in your case as your temps are ok anyway. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/image-files/computer-tower-cases-01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/computer-tower-cases.html&usg=__Af589pm2o5fUQgIwSa8pfBrtSFA=&h=409&w=600&sz=34&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=djAPbbBfd6i_qM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=218&ei=yHKGTangMISqvQOV2eDRCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpc%2Bcase%2Bair%2Bflow%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D805%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=305&oei=tnKGTfeVEseGcYzX-ZMD&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0&tx=66&ty=36 that is a good diagram of what you should have. more airflow than that is not needed unless your running some really high end overclocked setup.
  11. u see, i dont even have a fan in the front of my case lol. I only have 1 fan in the back, the psu fan and the cpu,gpu fans. So i think ill get a fan for the front, one for the side as well. So it will be like that same diagram but a fan right in the side of the case panel and the air will just catch when it is being blowed out the exhaust right? What do u think?
  12. btw can i control the fan speeds if it is plugged into a molex connector? I dont have any plugs left for use on my mobo.
  13. If your putting 2 on then front one blows air in and the side one sucks air out. You cant control the speed if there is no speed controller. Most fans come with a pass through type Molex plug so you can fit it into an existing speed controlled power circuit.

14. like i have to buy a separate fan controller. damn. but any fan company/manufacture like Ultra should work with it right?
  15. i wouldnt bother investing into it since your temps are absolutely fine. just find a quiet fan for the front that flows a little less than the exhaust fan to keep some negative pressure, i have found that works best. Tell us what case you are using so we can figure out the best fan setup for your case. IMO the fan near the GPU yshould be removing hot air not blowing air over the fan. but experiment, monitor your temps and see what works best for your situation.
  16. 80c for some can mean a slow death over a period of time. Turn the fan speed up and keep the temps down a bit. Noise is free but another card is not. 60c is almost a sure thing for a card to survive long after it has become hopelessly obsolete.
  17. That is really high must just be warm in your case.
  18. no card is going to run at less than 70c under furmark load and certainly not 60 unless the ambient temperature is 10c. i agree though. increase the fan speed profile
  19. k, my card is running at 80C because its OVERCLOCKED! not because the heat in my case is generally hot. On speedfan, everything is below 27C except the GPU. Which is fine. All i want to do is have a good setup to make everything cool, especially the gpu for the upcoming warm weather. My case is the cooler master elite 310, the one with the see-through panel. heres a pic, http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/revimages/case/coolermaster_elite_310/cooler_master_elite_310.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php%3FcID%3D1631&h=500&w=400&sz=37&tbnid=MuBnikBAemBuSM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcooler%2Bmaster%2Belite%2B310&zoom=1&q=cooler+master+elite+310&usg=__B0OJg_IJ_iW0vwfZQQMCPkFGnQY=&sa=X&ei=lDeHTfu1Cc29tgfo3bDVBA&ved=0CCsQ9QEwAg
  20. Furmark killing cards? That's too bad, but understandable... any other software to use for stability testing?

idufuse, nforce4max's comments are helpful regardless if you are OVERCLOCKED or not; you could simply set your fan profile to a higher % of the max as it nears 75-80C.

On the note of overclocking, how much of a difference does it make in your games and any of the benchmarks you've tried?
  21. Well you can continue to be stubborn and roll the dice as it is but noise is free while rma or a new card isn't.
  22. iduhfuse said:
    like i have to buy a separate fan controller. damn. but any fan company/manufacture like Ultra should work with it right?

Speed control would be nice but not really needed, spend a little more on the actual fan and you wont notice it, well you shouldn't anyway. I'm pretty sure they sell a range of fans based on how quiet they are.

Personally i would take the time to sey up a profile for teh fan speed on the card and watch those temps drop. An extra 5 RPM will make a huge difference.

23. k so im using msi afterburner to control when the speed of the fan should raise according to the temperature. i dont really know what sorta speeds i should have for each temperature. Can somebody help me please?
  24. Basic rule of thumb is start at 10 degrees =10% - 70 degrees = 70% etc. Start there and if you find it to warm go up in 5 rpm amounts so 10 degrees = 15 % etc. to be honest you will probably find it better to not add the 5 extra % until over 50 degrees as adding them sooner ends up with a louder card when not needed .

25. I have mine at 960 core 1350 mem and it has never broke 65

fan at 51%
  26. well im a little confused, on GPU-Z it says GPU temperature, so i assume the "core" temperature is at 80C with fan speed at 70% then the GPU TEMP #1 says 75C??

Spentshells, how do u have ur card so cold at those clocks and fan speed rate?
  27. like I mean, when i say im getting these temps, i mean im running the Xtreme burn-in test in Furmark. Its at full load. Btw i have another question. When you play games, is ur card automatically at full load?
  28. iduhfuse said:
    like I mean, when i say im getting these temps, i mean im running the Xtreme burn-in test in Furmark. Its at full load. Btw i have another question. When you play games, is ur card automatically at full load?

Furmark stresses the card quite a bit more than most games ever willl so your card wont be running at 80% all the time. Play some games and find out would be the easy way around it

29. iduhfuse said:
    like I mean, when i say im getting these temps, i mean im running the Xtreme burn-in test in Furmark. Its at full load. Btw i have another question. When you play games, is ur card automatically at full load?

generally in games gpus are not at a full load they might peak close to it but the average will be lower, basically you shouldn't reach as high of temps in games as you do in furmark
  30. Just turn up the fan speed and keep the card then be done with it.
  31. iduhfuse said:
    well im a little confused, on GPU-Z it says GPU temperature, so i assume the "core" temperature is at 80C with fan speed at 70% then the GPU TEMP #1 says 75C??

Spentshells, how do u have ur card so cold at those clocks and fan speed rate?

case fans drawing in under the card and sucking out over above it no extra voltage at all.
  32. k so, today i got 2 fans for my case and a fan controller. I put the 1 one on the side first and it decreased the temperature GREATLY. When i put the other one in the front of the case it was sucking air in and it increased the temp a lot. Should i change it the other way or just take it out?
  33. so you put in a side fan, sucking air out? do you also have a rear fan sucking air out? I have found the best way to set up my case is to have more air going out (through the rear/top) than in through the front. You dont need a front intake but i have 2 as they are behind a dust filter . If you have all exhaust fans you will find the internals get dusty very quickly.
  34. yeah, the side one sucking out. But ur saying i should keep the front fan sucking air in?
  35. iduhfuse said:
    yeah, the side one sucking out. But ur saying i should keep the front fan sucking air in?

Well duh you need fresh air going into the case for any cooling profile to work. You need both intake and exhaust. Typically you want cool air to inter in at the bottom at a decent rate enough to push the hot air naturally to the top ware it can be exhausted. Like a convection oven. Cool air to the bottom and hot air out the top.
  36. sorry i know that seems kind of obvious but, the hard drive bay is directly where the fan is and it COMPLETELY, like literally blocks the entire air flow of the front end of the case. Im not really sure what to do but yeah i think i'll follow ur advice.

btw, do u think i should have the side fan sucking out or blowing in? Also unfortunately the front fan doesnt have long enough screws to mount on the case. I tried my creativity with twisters but maybe ill try zip ties. Any suggestions that are better than this would be great. :)
  37. Does your card vent in the case ?
  38. im only concerned about my gpu's temp and the overall air flow of my case. Everything else in my case runs below 30C right now except for the gpu. I dont want it running so hot, thats why i bought more fans.
  39. Having a front fan blowing across the front drive bay is pretty standard. Your case has a rear fan about half way up the case i believe that and the PSU fan would to me be enough exhaust. What i would try is having the GPU fan which is what it is as its specifically mounted to align with the GPU, blowing in to the GPU to dissipate the heat that the GPU is generating.

As i said before different people have different preferred ways of cooling, so there is no real right or wrong way to do this. Try what i suggested and check the temps, if its cooler then good, if not put it back, no harm done. just experiment until you are happy with it.

40. OP: what are your current GPU temps at load or while gaming for a while?
  41. Yeah, i think your suggestion worked mactronix, it seems to be running a few celsius less on the temp screen. Thanks. ill try this for now.
  42. on furmark i left it runnign for about 10 mins which was about enough to get it to the max temp with the burn in test. ON the Core temp it ran around 83-85 and on the normal gpu temp #1 about 75-77. Is this okay? I dont think itll run this hot anyways when im playing games.
  43. Again you want to keep the whole card below 70c and if you can do that it will outlast it's usefulness by a wide margin lets say 4-10years depending on the quality of the card which in short more than long enough for upgrades. Oh well i will never understand the thought processes of some people these days o.O
  44. Quote:
    like I said your cards have thermal throttle features. It slows itself down when it gets too hot. So just use furmark to stress the gpu and see if it hits thermal throttle. Then drop the speed a bit.

i have never heard of this, not on a 5770.
  45. Don't some AMD cards have the feature to lower speeds for core/memory specifically when using Furmark? It's not the card itself but the drivers, or so I thought...
  46. k, ill only be gaming for maybe another 2 years AT THE MOST. If i have my card like this for now, will it run for the 2 years i want?
  47. No one can guarantee that but you are doing nothing wrong as far as im concerned. I have been doing this for years now, every card i ever owned was over clocked to the maximum of its capabilities and the only one that ever went wrong on me was a second hand card i bought from ebay and that was after 2 years. My grandson is still running a card i got in 1997.

48. K, so i just played crysis 2 for about an half an hour. All maxed out graphical wise. And i checked the gpu-z temps an core i got 75C and gpu temp #1 70C. I think this is perfectly fine, dont u guys agree?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking HD Graphics