System freeze with looping sound

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
What could be causing a system to freeze and loop sound during graphically intense programs?

I replaced the mobo, cpu, and ram two months ago in my PC and I have encountered random lockups when using graphically intense programs. Some sessions it locks up and others it does not. It can up to 4 to 5 hours before lock up occurs.

Thanks,

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I would say it's your memory. Might be a bad stick, or maybe incorrect timings or speed or something. Try running memtest,

Might be something else, and I can give you more tips later, but try that first.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Just doing a little digging around I thought to check "dxdiag". After looking at dxdiag I found out that have three different sound tabs. I do NOT have a dedicated sound card. I use the onboad realtek HD audio.

The three audio devices listed by dxdiag are as follows:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1043841B&REV_1003
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6196 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 9/7/2010 19:27:34, 2484072 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Other Files:

Description: Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Other Files:

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

No problems detected on any of them.

I will run memtest today or tomorrow.

Sound loops and randomly occurring lock ups are often caused by bad memory, make sure you have your voltages and timings set properly for your RAM or it will throw errors and cause crashes. Let memtest run for about 5 passes, often times it will go through a few passes successfully then start finding errors on the fourth or fifth, memory errors are weird.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Ok, will do. In order to run memtest do I have to mount an ISO and boot from the ISO disc?

Right now my mem settings are auto in the BIOS. I reloaded optimized defaults. If it helps any I was getting a message saying I was running out of resources in BFBC2 it would take me to desktop and ask me to disable AERO. I finally did that yesterday and noticed less lag in game. I'm assuming that means it's something to do with the ram being off?

I'll take a look at it tonight and run memtest -- eventually put in recommended settings for the ram.

If I put in the recommended settings and they are different than the mobos auto -- is that essentially me overclocking the ram?

Putting the recommended settings instead of running auto is not the same as overclocking the ram, overclocking is running something above its recommended specs, that would just be setting it to its recommended specs.

Its easiest to burn the ISO to a disc then boot off that disc, rather than moujnting an ISO and trying to boot off of it because memtest needs to run prior to anything else loading up so it has access to al the RAM

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
ok will check this tonight. The ram should be compatible with the p8p67 LE right? I use KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX
I checked the lists but didn't see the hyperx "BLU" listed which is what I have.

I set the voltage and timings in the bios and got sound skipping which usually occurred before a sound loop/freeze. but it didn't freeze or sound loop last night. I will try the XMP profile too, but will set back to defaults for memtest (trying all different settings in memtest as well).

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I just noticed there is a "power manager" feature on my desktop's Win 7 64bit Professional install. It allows me to select power saver, balanced, or high performance. Why would I have this feature on my desktop install?

By power manager I mean it's the same symbol as if I were using a laptop there is a battery pack and all =(

I just noticed the comps in my office do not have that symbol and they are running win 7 32bit pro.

I need to figure out windows 7 I think this is an OS problem not a memory or MB issue (the sound stutters leading into black screen freeze with sound distortion or loop).

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Most PCs have that power manager feature, although not necessarily with the icon in the taskbar... By default, peoples' screens will turn off and whatnot when they are away from their computers. I personally use the high performance mode, which is what I would suggest. Stop posting and run memtest already haha.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I called ASUS support and they said I was having a grounding issue.

I was sure to have the I/O shield touching the mobo inputs and all the stands are in for the the mobo. I do NOT have any empty stands UNDER the motherboard, BUT I do have empty stands from my last motherboard that extend PAST the motherboard because I didn't have a pair of pliers handy to unscrew them when I was working.

Could these empty standoffs to the RIGHT of the motherboard (Not underneath) be causing a short? (If shorts can cause black screens / sound loop / sound stutter like the ASUS tech level 3 told me)

The empty standoffs are about an inch or less from the edge of the motherboard's right edge.

He recommended I put electrical tape between the standoffs and the case to prevent grounding issues/shorting. I told him that the black screens don't happen immediately but take hours of playing to occur.

I will run memtest now, just got home and made that call.

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
5 passes no errors.

I don't think I am having grounding issues.

I will uninstall old drivers in safe mode for video card and install new ones (I'm like one WHQL behind). Same with Realtek LAN and Audio - one at a time (i have the realtek drivers from p8p67-le website). Which driver should I reinstall first>?

I Can't download driver sweeper anymore from 3D guru.

I will also disable cpu spread spectrum in bios to see if that helps. I did memtest at default BIOS memory settings (auto).

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Probably not. Could be a problem with your board or video card... it's really a tough one to narrow down. Run MSI Kombuster or something like that and see if your video card gives you any trouble...

Wolfshadw

Titan
I ran into what sounds like a similar issue some years ago after upgrading my graphics card. Turns out my power supply just couldn't handle the new (more powerful Geforce 7800GS) card. The screen would lock and the last half second of audio looped continuously until I shut down the system. For me, replacing the power supply (Cooler Master 450watt to Antec 500 watt) resolved the issue.

Now you stated that you just upgraded the MB/CPU/RAM.

What did you have and what do you have now?
What graphics card and power supply you have installed?
How old is your power supply?

-Wolf sends

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Was using:

athlon 64 3700+ sandiego core socket 939
ASUS A8N SLI premium socket 939
2 x 1gb OCZ ram at standard DDR speed (auto by mobo)

eVGA 8800gts 320mb at 521/7xx speed (original speed set by eVGA)
OCZ modxstream 600 watt power supply
+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V1@25A, +12V2@25A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2.5A
Sata 3.0gb WD 640gb hdd
LG dvd rw drive IDE
On-board audio
windows XP home with latest SP

Upgraded to:
intel core i5 2400+
ASUS p8p67 LE motherboard (1155)
2 x 2GB kingston hyper x blu ram - manufacturer states 1.65v best to run at - and 1600mhz

Windows 7 professional 64 bit with serv pack 1 only

*everything else the same

I have all settings at auto in motherboard except I disabled Marvell Controller since not using raid - and disabled all Q-Fan settings so every fan runs at 100% even CPU. GPu fan runs at 60%.

EepSquared

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Make sure your PSU can handle your video card. Some video cards require a minimum amps on the +12-volt rail. The EVGA 8800GTS 320MB requires at least 400W and 26amps on the +12-volt rail (according to http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58051 ). Your PSU is 1 amp short, despite having 25 amps on 2 +12-volt rails. I have an EVGA GTS 260 that requires 24 amps on the +12-volt rail and my PSU has 18 amps on 3 +12-volt rails but I will experience hangs, audio stutters, and multi-colored dots and/or the top 1/3 of the screen has a flickering gray/grey box and the bottom 2/3 black, fairly consistently in many (but not all) games. I don't usually have a problem outside of 3D games either. I don't have the money to spare on getting a new PSU (or video card) now so I just live with the errors.