Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Compatibility Check!

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2011 12:47:17 PM

Hello everyone, I'm building a computer for the first time. These were the parts I was thinking about. Please let me know if this should work or if there are compatibility issues. Thanks!

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard - ATX, AMD Socket AM3, AMD 790X Chipset, DDR3 1800MHz (O.C.), SATA 3.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX Ready

PNY VCGGTS4501XPB GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
May 30, 2011 12:51:50 PM

you sure you want that psu.Its not bad not good.But a bit above trash.
m
l
May 30, 2011 1:13:51 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
you sure you want that psu.Its not bad not good.But a bit above trash.

What's the problem with it?
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2011 1:37:58 PM

satya_06 said:
What's the problem with it?

inefficient.And a very bad psu.
m
l
May 30, 2011 1:41:56 PM

and also i would get a i5 2500k and a p67 or z68 mobo.
m
l
May 30, 2011 1:43:57 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
inefficient.And a very bad psu.

What would you suggest instead?
m
l
May 30, 2011 1:47:06 PM

and your mobo doesnt support sli.You would be better off buying a amd gpu.
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:28:17 PM

Quote:
and your mobo doesnt support sli.You would be better off buying a amd gpu.

I was actually looking for something cheaper than z68. I looked at the specs on this one (below), and it seemed compatible, but just wanted to run it by you. This one does support SLI.

ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 DDR3 MOTHERBOARD ATX
m
l
May 30, 2011 3:36:21 PM

you can of course buy a p67 mobo.And my advice to you is for a ati amd gpu.
m
l
May 30, 2011 10:23:09 PM

I would ask what your main use was going to be for that machine and your overall budget because what you buy is very much down to what you need it for and are limited by.

Amd , or Intel doesn't really matter , per-say one has the well known brand comfort and bit more raw speed at the top end of the market , the other has a bit more of a kind upgrade path and excellent mid range price to performance ratio.

So if budget is strict , go for AMD , if its about getting the best processor and features go for an I7 with all the trimmings.

Compatability wise there is nothing wrong with that build but i would say the stock cooler will be a bit rubbish, So add a heat-sink and some thermal compound as well.
What ghnader mentioned " that the motherboard doesn't support SLI is true " So with that motherboard if you ever wanted to put more than one graphics card in you would have issues .

My reccomendation would be to get an ATI card as that motherboard will be able to use more than one of those due to it being crossfire ready but lacks the support for SLI .
Go for one of these instead http://www.ebuyer.com/product/266528

( that way if you need to you can add another graphics card at a later date in tandem)

I would want to know if you were really going to use all 8GB of that RAM , "
If you are gaming I'd bet not and then i would put more money into the power supply, and then add more ram a little later if needed .

If it was for video / image work then the build is very good the 6 core Thuban will be great for heavy multitasking , but wont give you much extra performance in games which have not been threaded to use much more than 2 or in some cases 4 cores unless you are willing to do plenty of manual tweaking in your system's processor affinity settings a heavy duty Quad core will do just as well.

Let me know if you want to ask more

synth
m
l
May 31, 2011 1:40:01 AM

verbalizer said:
it's not that bad, you need to relax if you haven't had one before.
I have that PSU now and I was going to keep it until I read a report and it showed better units.
but for almost 9 months it has been powering my main gaming unit.
so I do not recommend it to the OP but it isn't as bad as what you say.

and also calm down before you yell out recommendations on what someone should buy.
you need/should ask questions first..
usage, games, resolutions, money, location for availability of hardware.
relax.
your just accumulating points that have no substance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294607-28-rosewill-ul...

I guess there is no good review about it.However i guess you can hear what the other members have to say.
m
l
May 31, 2011 3:32:28 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
May 31, 2011 5:14:39 PM

Quote:
dude, you need help.
what's the unit to be used for, gaming.? if so then what games at what resolution.?
then what's your budget for your hardware.?

One game I definitely want to be able to run is Starcraft 2 on high res. I looked at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... and the graphics card I have listed above is 1 tier above what is recommended. I was also thinking of Crysis. As for budget, I wouldn't want to go higher than $780 for hardware (excluding monitor). And yes, I thought it was obvious that I needed help. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here.
m
l
!