ElliotisAwEsOmE

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hi, I was thinking of getting a Phenom X6 1055T or a X4 955, but I don't know which to get, my primary use will be gaming and maybe video editing, will I notice a big increase of performance with the X6's 6 cores, or should I go for the X4? I've heard that the X4 is better for gaming.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say the X4 is better for gaming and the X6 is, with the right software, better for video editing. But if I were planning on a new AMD build right now, I'd wait for Bulldozer.

ElliotisAwEsOmE

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Will the socket AM3+ be compatible with the Phenom II CPU's? Because I think I will go for a AM3+ because of the upgrade-friendlyness in the future.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
..I have both the 965 and the 1090T...the ans to you question is...there is no perceptable difference between the CPU's. Both are beyond extremely competent at everything you can throw at them, however of course you can exploit their relative strengths by selecting the software you choose to run, but the IPC per core on these CPU's is identical. My 3D Mark score is slightly higher for the X6. I think that's due to the Thurban's ability to shut down cores and increase (turbo) the frequecy of the CPU beyond 3.4 GHz tech that the 965 doesn't have. However the 965 is a BE so I can easily leap frog that advantage buy uping the mutiplier a tad.

As for being BD ready....well that's risky because you could end up paying more and be compromised in the end. If the extra performance of BD is important, then maybe wait for the platform. I personally wouldn't "adopt a new architecture" and prfer to give it about 18 months to iron out the compatability issues. But that's just a personal choice.