Removed RAM now all sticks wont work please help.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
my rig.
Mainboard : Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
Chipset : Intel Z68
Processor : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3400MHz
Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EADS-00L5B1 ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EARX-00N0YB0 ATA Device (1000GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD+-RW ND-3650A
Monitor Type : Acer X223W - 22 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

4 2 3 1 is how the slots are configured left to right

+ - - - works (all 4 sticks individually too)
+ + - - works
+ + + doesnt work
+ + + + doesnt work
+ - + - doesnt work
+ - - + doesnt work
- + - - works
- - + - doesnt work
- - -+ doesnt work
- + + - doesnt work
- + - + doesnt work
- - + + doesnt work
+ + + + originally worked until I removed it all

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I am pretty sure I reset the bios and its still not working. I think with this mobo you have to short the CMOS jumper to reset it. IF I did it wrong let me know. when I put a stick in 1 or 3 the computer starts everything gets power and bam it turns off 2 seconds after power on then re powers on again over and over unless i turn it off. a cylcle of power on power off without getting anywhere. everything worked fine until i pulled out all the memory. now im trying to put it all back in and it only wants to work in slot 4 and 2.

check that you dont have a bent pin on one of the slots or some dirt. check the dimms make sure all the copper pins are fine and there nothing broken off any of the dims. hopfully when you were moving the dimms you turned off the mb and ps and waited for the mb power led to turn off?? new mb keep power to them and you need to pull the power cored from the wall and let them drian before you pull parts. also see if there a bios upgrade there been a few for the x68 and z77 to make them run with more ram. also check that your ram is on the mb qal list. some ram is only qal for two slots some three and others all four.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
when I pulled the RAM out the case had been completely unplugged for atleast a half hour before hand. Also the RAM is fine as I said previously I have plugged them all in one at a time in slots 4 and 2 and they ALL work. for some reason when I use slots 3 and 1 it doesn't work. I had this problem on another board a long time ago and putting ram in the 1st and 3rd slot worked to use all 4 again but that doesnt seem to be the case here. I reset the CMOS as well.

This is how u clear the CMOS on your mobo, the manual way.

You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one
minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive
and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5
seconds.)
3. Replace the battery.
4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.

Or this way.

CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset
the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to
temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few
seconds.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I shorted the CLR CMOS already and had to redo the bios but I still cant get RAM to work in slots 1 and 3

4 2 3 1 <--- first 2 slots work.

I have had this before with another board a long time ago has something to do with dual channel so you plug into A1 and B1 and then all 4 slots will work again but that doesnt seem to be the case here because no matter what configurations i pop these sticks in I cant get slot 3 and 1 to work.

something is amiss and I bet it is simple too.

but yeah I cleared the CMOS and still didnt work. So where do we go from here.

jhouse0386

Honorable
May 5, 2012
with a stick in slot 1 or 3 the computer boots for about 3 seconds i hear the cd rom start up etc and then the computer just turns off. THEN after a couple seconds of being off it tries to boot again it starts for 3 seconds and keeps going on a loop until i turn it off.