Can I install an OS on a new build with an external optical drive?

quest4aquest

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hi, all. I want to start off by saying I have embarked on my first ever system build, and I am so excited to finally be doing so. Months and months of time and research have left my eyes nearly monitored-out, but it will all be worth it. This forum has continuously provided me with answers to many of my questions, and I'm so grateful. I finally would like to post a question of my own, as this is one where I can't seem to find information on it anywhere.

I already have an external optical drive (USB) that works well. Ideally, I would like to use this as the optical drive on my new build so that I do not have to buy/install an internal one. The question I have is, can I install my operating system using this USB external optical drive? Or because it is a new build, will it not have the drivers yet to read the USB device (or something along those lines)? I know you can install an OS with an external optical on a computer that's already up and running, but can't find anything regarding being able to with a brand new build/1st boot.

I apologize if this is a pretty stupid question, or if this has in fact been covered elsewhere and I just missed it. I'll be using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with the i7 2600k and Asus p8p67 motherboard. I know internal optical drives don't break the bank these days, but I'd rather not get one if I don't have to :) Sincere thanks for any and all replies.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

I know I'm necroposting, but how do I, with new Blu Ray drive in a new build install Windows from disc?