Can I install an OS on a new build with an external optical drive?

Hi, all. I want to start off by saying I have embarked on my first ever system build, and I am so excited to finally be doing so. Months and months of time and research have left my eyes nearly monitored-out, but it will all be worth it. This forum has continuously provided me with answers to many of my questions, and I'm so grateful. I finally would like to post a question of my own, as this is one where I can't seem to find information on it anywhere.

I already have an external optical drive (USB) that works well. Ideally, I would like to use this as the optical drive on my new build so that I do not have to buy/install an internal one. The question I have is, can I install my operating system using this USB external optical drive? Or because it is a new build, will it not have the drivers yet to read the USB device (or something along those lines)? I know you can install an OS with an external optical on a computer that's already up and running, but can't find anything regarding being able to with a brand new build/1st boot.

I apologize if this is a pretty stupid question, or if this has in fact been covered elsewhere and I just missed it. I'll be using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with the i7 2600k and Asus p8p67 motherboard. I know internal optical drives don't break the bank these days, but I'd rather not get one if I don't have to :) Sincere thanks for any and all replies.
4 answers Last reply
More about install build external optical drive
  1. yes you can just boot up to the drive with win7 in it through the bios
  2. Best answer selected by quest4aquest.
  3. Thank you both! I always heed words of caution so I'll probably just play it safe and get an internal optical to install Windows from. Good to know it can be done, though.
  4. quest4aquest said:
    Thank you both! I always heed words of caution so I'll probably just play it safe and get an internal optical to install Windows from. Good to know it can be done, though.

I know I'm necroposting, but how do I, with new Blu Ray drive in a new build install Windows from disc?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Optical Media New Build Systems