Aside from SLI, does installing two video cards offer any benefit?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I build a new computer for myself about every 2-3 years. Typically I install two video cards but lately I've been wondering why. In the past, SLI seemed more important. Not it seems that most any high quality card can handle the demands of about any game or graphics application. I do some photoshop work but mostly I'm a gamer. Fact is, when I'm ready to game, I won't set up SLI. Haven't in years. I like to play on one screen and use the other to monitor mail, get cheats, or whatever.

So with that info, do you think two cards can still benefit me? I guess if I am going to run two 24" monitors maybe I need cards? Thanks for any feedback.

John

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
For single monitor setups the most powerful graphic cards can handle it fine, since AA becomes less important the higher the resolution.

For dual and above setups a single card can still provide good performance, especially a 6970 2GB or a 6990.

For triple screens you will require 2+ cards if you are using Nvidia as they do not allow you to run 3 screens off a single card.

If you're gaming on a single screen, then a good top end GPU will be enough. You can reuse an old one to get that separate 2nd monitor, since if you're not gaming on it, it doesn't need much power at all.

SLI and Crossfire can often give better performance for the money than a single top card, but otherwise it's not really needed in a lot of cases.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
So I am gathering that one high end GPU would be better than two normal/good ones. Let me just confirm this because I thought I knew but maybe I don't. I have always had two GPU's and plugged in one monitor to each. Can I run two monitors off of one GPU? Is there any drop in speed/quality with two monitors running off of one GPU?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS