Best cpu for video management system

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Management
  • Video
Last response: in CPUs
August 26, 2011 5:33:00 PM

Hello,
What is a good $2000 computer to buy for a video surveillance system? It needs to receive video from about 16 cameras (in mpeg4), store the video to hard disk and display however many mpeg4 streams I want to view.
Thanks.

More about : cpu video management system

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
August 26, 2011 10:07:16 PM

lks8668 said:
Hello,
What is a good $2000 computer to buy for a video surveillance system? It needs to receive video from about 16 cameras (in mpeg4), store the video to hard disk and display however many mpeg4 streams I want to view.
Thanks.

You probably do not need to buy a very expensive computer to do this. Copying data already encoded in MPEG4 to hard drive takes virtually zero CPU. Playing back MPEG4 video can be offloaded to the graphics processor and thus takes very little CPU. I'd go for something low-powered like an AMD E-350 motherboard/CPU combination, or if you need a bunch of guaranteed uptime, get yourself a single-socket LGA1155 or C32 server motherboard, a low-powered compatible CPU, and ECC memory. Now if you want to edit this video, you will want a stout system, but mere copying already encoded MPEG4s and playing them back takes very little power.
September 6, 2011 3:33:29 AM

Best answer selected by lks8668.
m
l
December 27, 2012 7:06:28 AM

Then what you need is a very good video organizer.

Like I got. Easy to catalog all those clips. Easy to sample and play Random segments.

The catalog info can be displayed in LARGE font along with the video clips. The non-linear access (start here - play to there) requires no editing and the mess of clips that results. Just the originals.

Yup! Video without commentary soon lose relevance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzULqlf8598 Here is an example of some of the replay capabilities. Slo-Mo, play again, resume speed, ..Next Random set.
m
l
!