Compaq Presario CQ56 Motherboard problems

sirquinsy

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I had a client come in with a bizarre problem, being that the actual clip where the keyboard plugs into this laptop has physically been ripped off. The only viable solution I could see was a soldering it back on, which has proved unsuccessful. The laptop will still boot, however the keyboard simply will never work with this laptop.

So naturally I decided the easiest thing to do was buy the same laptop motherboard off of ebay, and that's where the problems lay. After two motherboards from the same seller, neither of them will actually post. I went about it systematically, and ended up finding out exactly what was needed for the broken laptop motherboard to turn on.

So I had the few cables plugged in, the RAM, the CMOS battery, and the Intel processor. The "broken" laptop posts fine, and actually even boots into Windows.

With just those limited components in, neither of those two replacement motherboards off ebay will actually post. The socket is the exact same, all of the parts read out the same, the only difference is that where there is a giant white A on the "broken" motherboard, there is a giant "B" on the replacement motherboards. That said I'm not convinced that that would make a difference. I might be ignorant in saying this, but I was always under the assumption that as long as there's RAM, processor, and a cmos battery, it should always boot, but it simply will not.

These replacement motherboards always fit into the case fine, and have all the same sockets as the old one, it just simply will not work. That said, there's a few things that the replacements will do;

-The heat sync fan will spin for 3 seconds, stop, and then start again and keep going until powered off
-The disk drive powers up, and will eject
-Audible activity is heard from the hard drive

However there is no activity on the monitor, and when plugged into an exterior monitor via the vga port, the monitor does not even receive a signal.

Am I receiving faulty motherboards, or is it possible I've been ordering the wrong models?