Brand New Power Supply, Computer turns on then off quickly

deadibri

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
hello

i recently bought the computer off my friend here and the power supply needed to be replaced so i went out and bought a power supply, i took a course on how to build computers so hopefully i did everything correct i plugged in all the cords to the motherboard and the fans and it turns on then off quickly, i dont know whats up and i dont have the money to take it in anymore so i need to reslove this issue i have a video also that shows what happens ill post it below so you guys get more of a idea.

heres the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd1bar6PyZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ram1009

Distinguished
Maybe you just discovered the real reason your friend sold the computer. When it shuts down how long until it will start again? I'm trying to determine if a re-settable fuse in the PSU might be popping. How long does it actually run before quitting, 1 second, 10 seconds, 30 seconds or??? Are you sure all the cables are plugged in correctly and not one pin off or reversed? Try disconnecting everything but the MB.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Well now that my head has stopped spinning after watching the worlds shakiest video ;-) I think it would be likely that the Motherboard has failed. It is also possible that there is something shorting out the system somewhere. Also try swapping out the GPU to eliminate that from the equation.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Pull out what components you can and verify the mobo itself doesn't have a problem. Would probably be a good idea to make sure nothing is shorting as well. (Loose connections, mobo not resting on the case)

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It does seem like a possible short to me too. Did you install or reinstall the motherboard yourself or only the PSU?

If you installed the motherboard, make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary with any of your motherboard standoffs or a loose screw underneath the board. You may want to take the motherboard out and reinstall it to make sure you didn't forget a paper washer somewhere if the board screws into the case without standoffs like a case with raised bumps where standoffs usually go.

You said this was your first time really building a computer so maybe this is just a simple beginner's mistake and nothing serious.