Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 470 runs hot with dual monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 21, 2011 8:12:20 AM

Hello guys
I noticed when I run 2 monitors on GTX 470 , the temp goes up and the card becomes noisy .
So any solution ?
Thanks
March 21, 2011 1:37:23 PM

The graphics cardhas to work harder and its gets hotter when it does that.

It sounds like your case isnt providing enough cooling. You can measure the GPU temp with a tool called gpuz.

Either - drop back to one monitor or improve the cooling inside your PC....
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 3:02:09 PM

Make sure that the card isn't full of dust but beyond that a little noise is nothing to be concerned about just so long the temps are good and nothing is overheating.
Score
0
Related resources
March 21, 2011 4:56:39 PM

Guys I found that when I'm running one monitor the card shader clock is 50 and the temp is 40 and it's calm
but when I'm running dual monitors the card shader clock is 405 and the temp is 56 hot and it's noisy .
I've done a research and I found that it's a very known problem with fermi bios and it needs a modified bios to work well .
So ....... Where is this modified bios ? Or how to modify the existing bios ?
It's a Gainward GTX 470 STOCK .
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 5:17:49 PM

50 on the shader clock is only going to be with the card idling, are you saying that the card never actually goes into idle when you have 2 monitors plugged in? 56 is not hot at all for a 470 when in use.


Score
0
March 21, 2011 5:20:55 PM

Yep , that's what I'm sayin .
When the card is running 2 montors , it hits 56C iIDLE !!
Remember that it runs at 56 and the fan is 70 (noisy ) I want to lower the temp witout rising fan speed . and the only way is to lower shader clock to 50 again .
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 7:22:04 PM

Dual monitors will keep the card from switching down to 2D clocks because the clock change would cause one of the two monitors to flash. I saw a post where AMD explained why recently, the way they do it for a single screen is wait for the DVI sync signal and then change the memory clock, this way the screen blink occurs during the sync signal and doesnt show on the screen, with two monitors the chances of their syncs being lined up is effectively zero so it doesnt drop down to idle clocks because everytime it has to switch the screens would blink quickly.
Score
0
March 21, 2011 9:30:54 PM

So what you're sayin is "there is no solution" ?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 9:56:24 PM

You could download MSI afterburner and manually set a profile with lower 2d clocks and voltages and see if it helps.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 21, 2011 10:14:15 PM

Not an officially support solution, as that solution would result in the screens flashing every time it changed to or from 2D clocks, which depending on your work load when not gaming could be quite often, my solution would be to use MSI afterburner to modify the fan profile so that it doesnt ramp up so quickly, it does the card no good to be kept at 56C vs 70C, and at 70C the fan can run slower and quieter.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 4:33:59 AM

hunter315 said:
Not an officially support solution, as that solution would result in the screens flashing every time it changed to or from 2D clocks, which depending on your work load when not gaming could be quite often, my solution would be to use MSI afterburner to modify the fan profile so that it doesnt ramp up so quickly, it does the card no good to be kept at 56C vs 70C, and at 70C the fan can run slower and quieter.


I'm already using msi after burner , that's why the temp is 56 and the fan is 70 .If I close msi after burner the temp will be 70 and the fan will be quit (but this just burns the card )
I'm thinking of down clocking the card by Nvidia inspector but I don't know the custom clocks I should do to keep the card stable .
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 6:05:23 PM

r_Rozx said:
I'm already using msi after burner , that's why the temp is 56 and the fan is 70 .If I close msi after burner the temp will be 70 and the fan will be quit (but this just burns the card )
I'm thinking of down clocking the card by Nvidia inspector but I don't know the custom clocks I should do to keep the card stable .


70C isnt going to hurt the card at all, the reference cards had coolers that only kept them down to 96C under full load as you can see in the launch article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,258...

70C is a very reasonable load temp for a GPU, its a bit high for idle but it could just be that your GPU is running at high load for two monitors(strange but possible), they are usually rated at about 100C max temp at load, if you still stay at a reasonable load temp with two monitors on i wouldnt worry about your idle temp too much.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 10:21:06 PM

hunter315 said:
70C isnt going to hurt the card at all, the reference cards had coolers that only kept them down to 96C under full load as you can see in the launch article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,258...

70C is a very reasonable load temp for a GPU, its a bit high for idle but it could just be that your GPU is running at high load for two monitors(strange but possible), they are usually rated at about 100C max temp at load, if you still stay at a reasonable load temp with two monitors on i wouldnt worry about your idle temp too much.




No it's not the GPU , Look at this photo of msi after burner while running 2 monitors on my PC

Now compare it to single profile on my PC


Score
0
March 22, 2011 10:24:24 PM

^^^^
As you see , it's the memory and shader clock causing the high temp as they 're not idle on running the 2 monitors , If we control these 2 factors , then temp will be down .
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 22, 2011 11:29:13 PM

I run 3 monitors on 2 GTX 465s in SLI and the top card rarely hits 70 in games, only in furmark, the other stays under 60. I don't know why a single 470 would be that damn hot at 2d clocks speed. Maybe you need to consider your case/fan situation, or return the card if you can, 70 at idle is not typical. Can you unlock voltage control and see what the Vcore is set too?

Score
0
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2012 1:56:23 PM

:bounce: 

Okey, I'm brand spanking new on this forum, but I spent so much time trying to fix this, i'm going to register on every forum where I
looked for a fix and post the fix I found :

Bios : Turn on integrated graphics card + allow dual monitor on integrated graphics card.
Windows : Go to hardware and turn on integrated graphics card if it isn't turned on.
Software : Install Virtu (http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-virtu.html)
Connect one screen to dedicated GPU and one to onboard graphics.

Problem solved :)  Took my HD7850 down from 50°c to 33°c idle at stock speeds. Found out about Virtu while overclocking my HD7850 from
860 Mhz to 1300Mhz core clock 1.3V
Score
0
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 29, 2012 2:13:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!