Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

cellular wide area data coverage

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I've seen and heard a lot of the latest Verizon commercials
for their WAN service and their PCMCIA data cards.

I was wondering about all the carriers,
and what is being offered by which carriers,
along with what type of technology is used - phone vs PC card -

Last time I tried data, it was with a cell phone, a data cable
and the phone appeared as a 14.4kbs modem -
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:23:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Phil Schuman wrote:
> I've seen and heard a lot of the latest Verizon commercials
> for their WAN service and their PCMCIA data cards.
>
> I was wondering about all the carriers,
> and what is being offered by which carriers,
> along with what type of technology is used - phone vs PC card -

\
In most if not all cases, the wireless carriers are pushing the use of a
PCMCIA card for wireless data access, and are actively discouraging the
use of data cables and "tethered" access using a handset.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:46:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
along with what can be layered over which existing
TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:46:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>along with what can be layered over which existing
>TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...

As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
service at a reasonable price?

(VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
usage restrictions.)





--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:46:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Spint has an $80 unlimited use plan for their laptop card. I have one.

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
news:b3vc91dg9fr721kpp2iditinbtrh26llgv@4ax.com...
> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>
>>I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>>along with what can be layered over which existing
>>TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>>using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>
> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
> service at a reasonable price?
>
> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
> Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
> usage restrictions.)
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Jack Hamilton
> Sacramento, California
> --
> <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
> <> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:40:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote:

>Spint has an $80 unlimited use plan for their laptop card. I have one.

Interesting. Yesterday I found pricing for "PCS Vision for PCS
Connection Cards - Laptop & PDA", which costs $80 for 300 MB. But on
the business pages tonight, I found the plan you describe.

Why the difference, I wonder... And what are the restrictions on those
plans? The link to explanatory text wasn't obvious.




>
>"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
>news:b3vc91dg9fr721kpp2iditinbtrh26llgv@4ax.com...
>> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>>>along with what can be layered over which existing
>>>TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>>>using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>>
>> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
>> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
>> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
>> service at a reasonable price?
>>
>> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>> Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>> usage restrictions.)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jack Hamilton
>> Sacramento, California
>> --
>> <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
>> <> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
>


--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:49:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

There are no restrictions on the unlimited plan. There is only one problem:
If you do not have a business and a tax ID number, Sprint can use your SS
number and you can get a business account, however, they require a $250
deposit for 10 months. After 10 months, they will return your $250. I have
A++++++ credit and they still required the deposit because I am not a
business. Instead of giving them the deposit, I gave them the tax id number
of the company that I work for and was immediately approved for 60 cards.

-mij

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
news:p nad91lv46u23vrqjkl5q8bfpbdf9hgbqh@4ax.com...
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>Spint has an $80 unlimited use plan for their laptop card. I have one.
>
> Interesting. Yesterday I found pricing for "PCS Vision for PCS
> Connection Cards - Laptop & PDA", which costs $80 for 300 MB. But on
> the business pages tonight, I found the plan you describe.
>
> Why the difference, I wonder... And what are the restrictions on those
> plans? The link to explanatory text wasn't obvious.
>
>
>
>
>>
>>"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
>>news:b3vc91dg9fr721kpp2iditinbtrh26llgv@4ax.com...
>>> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>>>>along with what can be layered over which existing
>>>>TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>>>>using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
>>> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
>>> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
>>> service at a reasonable price?
>>>
>>> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>>> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>>> Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>>> usage restrictions.)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jack Hamilton
>>> Sacramento, California
>>> --
>>> <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
>>> <> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
>>
>
>
> --
> Jack Hamilton
> Sacramento, California
> --
> <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
> <> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:01:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Jack Hamilton wrote:

> Interesting. Yesterday I found pricing for "PCS Vision for PCS
> Connection Cards - Laptop & PDA", which costs $80 for 300 MB. But on
> the business pages tonight, I found the plan you describe.
>
> Why the difference, I wonder... And what are the restrictions on those
> plans? The link to explanatory text wasn't obvious.

The $80 unlimited plan has always been available only to business
accounts. I'm not sure why. I *thought* the flat-rate unlimited $80 was
a promotional package... but I could be wrong.


--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:37:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:53:17 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

>(VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>usage restrictions.)

What's the VZW usage restriction? I had the unlimited plan for over
a year as my sole ISP and they had no limits on MB or time. If it were
about $30 cheaper, I'd still be using it.
Emanuel
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:15:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:53:17 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>(VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>>and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>>Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>>usage restrictions.)
>
> What's the VZW usage restriction? I had the unlimited plan for over
>a year as my sole ISP and they had no limits on MB or time. If it were
>about $30 cheaper, I'd still be using it.
> Emanuel

"Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess cannot be used with server
devices or with host computer applications. Examples of such prohibited
uses include, without limitation, web camera posts or broadcasts,
continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry
applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine
applications. Such data sessions cannot be used as substitute for
private lines or frame relay connections."

In other words, anything that actually uses all that bandwidth is
forbidden. Also, what's the definition of "private line"? Isn't a home
DSL line a private line?

"We reserve right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to
anyone who uses NationalAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose
usage adversely impacts our network or service levels."

Seems reasonable, but how can a user know what that usage level is? It
sounds like an arbitrary judgment without possibility of appeal.

<http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nation...;



--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Jack Hamilton wrote:
> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
> service at a reasonable price?
>
> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate.

Actually Sprint does, IF you set up a business acount. The cost is $80
a month, and you have to use a data card (PCMCIA).

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/pcsVis...



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:51:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> There are no restrictions on the unlimited plan. There is only one problem:
> If you do not have a business and a tax ID number, Sprint can use your SS
> number and you can get a business account, however, they require a $250
> deposit for 10 months. After 10 months, they will return your $250. I have
> A++++++ credit and they still required the deposit because I am not a
> business.

Actually, there might be a way around this, for those people who qualify
for volume dicount pricing. If you're an employee of a business that
has a volume discount program with Sprint (many large corporations,
colleges, and state and local governments do, as well as USAA members),
you can call up Sprint and ask for a volume discount. They'll look it
up and transfer you to the business accounts department, who must then
re-set your account as a business acount and synchronize it with the
account that your place of employment has (i.e. change the billing date
to match). I did this, and was not asked for a deposit. I have an A2
credit rating with Srint (can have up to 10 lines, no ASL), which is
apparently very rare, so this may be why it was easy for me, but I doubt it.



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:10:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
news:b3vc91dg9fr721kpp2iditinbtrh26llgv@4ax.com...
> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>
> >I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
> >along with what can be layered over which existing
> >TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
> >using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>
> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
> service at a reasonable price?
>
> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
> Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
> usage restrictions.)

Jack....I don't know where you got the info that there are restrictions on
VZW's data rate.
I have a PC-5220 Card with 1X-EVDO service in the Los Angeles area. I pay
the $79.95 rate with NO RESTRICTIONS at all.
I use it all the time, stay connected for hours,sometimes days. I download
tons of info, watch a video server at my home, VPN into a network.
I have NEVER been dinged for any other charges for anything, I have used it
all over california, nevada and hawaii....
Restrictions.....I dont think so.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:32:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:53:17 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

>"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>
>>I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>>along with what can be layered over which existing
>>TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>>using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>
>As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
>data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
>anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
>service at a reasonable price?

T-Mobile does, actually.

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet
>
>(VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>usage restrictions.)

High speed is relative in wireless. Just a short time ago, TM's 50-60K
*WAS* considered high-speed, since Verizon and many other national
carriers had yet to roll out any high-speed data solution at all.

TM has also committed to deploying EDGE on its network, which will
resolve the speed gap between it and other wireless data providers.

All that said, if you truly need high-speed data, wireless isn't the
way to get it. It's much more susceptible to drop offs in signal
strength, etc.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:

>
>"Jack Hamilton" <jfh@acm.org> wrote in message
>news:b3vc91dg9fr721kpp2iditinbtrh26llgv@4ax.com...
>> "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I guess I was looking for info on the speeds & feeds of the offerings
>> >along with what can be layered over which existing
>> >TDMA, CDMA, CDMA2000, or GSM network
>> >using old CDPD, 1xRTT, or the newer EV-DO...
>>
>> As far as I can tell, no one offers a high speed unrestricted flat rate
>> data plan for laptops - VZW, Cingular, T-Mobile, and SprintPCS don't,
>> anyway. Is there a wireless company that offers a DSL replacement
>> service at a reasonable price?
>>
>> (VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>> and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>> Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>> usage restrictions.)
>
>Jack....I don't know where you got the info that there are restrictions on
>VZW's data rate.

Not on the data rate, but on your usage. See <
<http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nation...;.

>I have a PC-5220 Card with 1X-EVDO service in the Los Angeles area. I pay
>the $79.95 rate with NO RESTRICTIONS at all.
>I use it all the time, stay connected for hours,sometimes days. I download
>tons of info, watch a video server at my home, VPN into a network.
>I have NEVER been dinged for any other charges for anything, I have used it
>all over california, nevada and hawaii....
>Restrictions.....I dont think so.

Even if they don't enforce their policies, I'd prefer a service where
the policies aren't even there.



--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:53:17 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>(VZW and Cingular have usage restrictions; T-Mobile isn't high speed,
>>and SprintPCS doesn't have a flat rate. I would consider the VZW and
>>Cingular plans reasonable at $80/month if they didn't have a bunch of
>>usage restrictions.)
>
> What's the VZW usage restriction? I had the unlimited plan for over
>a year as my sole ISP and they had no limits on MB or time. If it were
>about $30 cheaper, I'd still be using it.

Did you ever try a tethered connection through a cell phone? If so,
what was the speed difference between the PC card connection and the
phone connection (if there was any difference)?



--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:02:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"DeeBat" <dkbatson@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Check out this article. It has a lot of good information.
>
>http://www.nwc.com/story/singlePageFormat.jhtml?article...

Very interesting article, than you. Everyone will offer better services
"soon", and there's no clear winner now. Verizon works well but is
expensive. Nextel would be best of they offered their higher-speed
service here, but they don't. T-Mobile is probably the best deal, but
has slower-than-dialup speeds.



--
Jack Hamilton
Sacramento, California
--
<> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit.
<> François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
May 28, 2005 5:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Ive used T-Mobile's Internet with a phone tethered to a laptop (V60 and
USB cable), connected via bluetooth (V620 and a bluetooth dongle), and
with network cards (Sierra 750 and SE GC79) and have noticed no
appreciable difference between any of them, other than the v60/USB
combo was a pain if I had to move the laptop around the desk or to
another area and wanted to stay connected. The best speed I got was 42K
while the average seemed to be around 19K-31K.

The V60/USB seemed to be the most reliable of the above combos.

The Sierra AirCard 750 was good too, but the card had the annoying
habit of resetting itself...and with my SIM lock on, meant I had to
re-enter the SIM PIN every now and then and reconnect. This card was
lost in Texas, so if you find it near San Antonio, it's yours.

The V620 via bluetooth was good too, but Mobile Phone Tools program is
a pain in the ass. I eventually decided that I wanted to get another
card so I wouldnt tie up my voice line while connected (voice calls
trumps internet).

The Sony-Ericsson GC79 seemed to be good, but I had problems getting
the software to work properly. It seemed flaky, also I would have to
disconnect and reconnect repeatedly to get GPRS to work. The WiFi part
of it was not reliable either, sometimes it would show networks,
sometimes it wouldnt unless I rebooted, and this was in my house.

Oh, for reference, Im in the Chicagoland area. Ive used GPRS from
Chicago to San Antonio, TX. The coverage on the way down (driving) was
great (great as in connectivity, not speed) except for a dead spot
between Springfield, IL and St Louis, MO on I-55, and a small no
coverage area around Muskogee, OK on US 69.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:08:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I see what you're saying, but the policy sounds reasonable to me,
analogous to telling someone to whom you're renting a camp-site that
he can't build a house there. I can't see someone worrying about this
unless they were planning on *seriously* abusing the service.
Emanuel

The policy may be reasonable from the carrier's point of view, but when
they tout "Unlimited", then set limits that aren't always clear, I
believe this is misleading advertising. No one wants to be hit with a
several thousand dollar bill unexpectedly, or have their service
cut-off because they exceeded the limits(?) of an "Unlimited" service.
I've seen several posts where people have received bills this high
(although the bill was usually resolved).
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:31:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:15:31 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
>In other words, anything that actually uses all that bandwidth is
>forbidden. Also, what's the definition of "private line"? Isn't a home
>DSL line a private line?
>
>"We reserve right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to
>anyone who uses NationalAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose
>usage adversely impacts our network or service levels."
>
>Seems reasonable, but how can a user know what that usage level is? It
>sounds like an arbitrary judgment without possibility of appeal.

I see what you're saying, but the policy sounds reasonable to me,
analogous to telling someone to whom you're renting a camp-site that
he can't build a house there. I can't see someone worrying about this
unless they were planning on *seriously* abusing the service.
Emanuel
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:02:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

While I haven't been following Verizon's or other carrier's usage
policies, I've found the following regarding Cingular's usage policy
restrictions on the "Unlimited" data plan - in
particular......................

Data Service sessions may only be conducted for the following purposes:
(i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; and (iii) corporate intranet access
(including access to corporate e-mail, customer relationship
management, sales force automation, and field service automation
applications). The Services cannot be used with server devices or host
computer applications. Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to,
telemetry applications, automated data feeds, continuous jpeg file
transfers, Web camera posts or broadcasts, other machine-to-machine
applications, and voice over IP. These Services are not intended to
provide full-time connections, and the Service may be discontinued
after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive
usage.

I found the above by going to 'Shop Cingular', then 'PC Cards', then
'Plan Terms'. You can read all the 'fine print' there.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:09:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I just copied this off of Verizon's website this morning at the
following link:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nation...

Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess:

Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess data sessions may be used
with wireless devices for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing;
(ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate
intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications like
customer relationship management, sales force and field service
automation). Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess cannot be
used with server devices or with host computer applications. Examples
of such prohibited uses include, without limitation, web camera posts
or broadcasts, continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds,
telemetry applications, automated functions or any other
machine-to-machine applications. Such data sessions cannot be used as
substitute for private lines or frame relay connections. "Always On"
capabilities and static Internet Protocol addresses are not available.
We reserve right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to
anyone who uses NationalAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose
usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. We also reserve
right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:16:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I just copied this off of Verizon's website this morning at the
following link:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nation...

Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess:

Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess data sessions may be used
with wireless devices for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing;
(ii) e-mail; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate
intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications like
customer relationship management, sales force and field service
automation). Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess cannot be
used with server devices or with host computer applications. Examples
of such prohibited uses include, without limitation, web camera posts
or broadcasts, continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds,
telemetry applications, automated functions or any other
machine-to-machine applications. Such data sessions cannot be used as
substitute for private lines or frame relay connections. "Always On"
capabilities and static Internet Protocol addresses are not available.
We reserve right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to
anyone who uses NationalAccess in any manner prohibited above or whose
usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. We also reserve
right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:49:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Emanuel wrote:
> I doubt the examples you cite involved people that were innocently
> surfing the web and checking e-mail a lot; odds are VZW wouldn't
> notice you unless you're tying up an IP address for 24 hours straight.

I am sure you are probably right. If you are a professional, and all
you use the "Unlimited" service for is web browsing and checking
e-mail, VZW will be perfectly happy. But what if you get involved in
online gaming, or downloading music (legally of course), or internet
radio, or watching video clips of news (or other things)? These things
are bandwidth intensive, and what broadband is really made for in the
opinion of many (including myself). Are these things a violation of
VZW policy? If you read their "Unlimited" data service policy, it
seems like a gray area to me. You may argue that users should use a
land line for this, but some of us (myself included) do not have a land
line available for much of the time. If a land line was available,
that's what I would be using. Why pay $80/month if you don't need to?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 28 May 2005 16:08:29 -0700, "DeeBat" <dkbatson@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>The policy may be reasonable from the carrier's point of view, but when
>they tout "Unlimited", then set limits that aren't always clear, I
>believe this is misleading advertising. No one wants to be hit with a
>several thousand dollar bill unexpectedly, or have their service
>cut-off because they exceeded the limits(?) of an "Unlimited" service.
>I've seen several posts where people have received bills this high
>(although the bill was usually resolved).

The limits, as far as I've seen, are on the type of use, not the
amount. "All you can eat" doesn't mean you can stock up to go, nor
does "free refills on coffee" mean "back up a tanker truck and haul
away as much as you can," but there will always be people that test
this.
I doubt the examples you cite involved people that were innocently
surfing the web and checking e-mail a lot; odds are VZW wouldn't
notice you unless you're tying up an IP address for 24 hours straight.
Emanuel
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:23:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"DeeBat" <dkbatson@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:1117406972.000157.193260@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> downloading music (legally of course)

Who's their Usenet server and does it have unlimited GB downloads from
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.(your favorite genre here)?

Usenet's legal, ain't it??.....(c;
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:46:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Emanual wrote:
> I used it with Real Player Rhapsody, though, which has audio
> streaming; no problem.

I guess my point is that, if you do something like audio streaming,
while it works, is it a violation of VZW policy? If the connection
software you are using reports Bytes sent and received, you will notice
that you can rack-up many megabytes of service in a rather short period
of time while streaming audio. Could this be considered a
"machine-to-machine application" or an "automatic data feed"? Is this
'abuse' of the service? I would hope not, but I am not sure what VZW
would think, or how they might act. I guess that I would rather have
"Unlimited" service without any worries. But as we all know, this is
not a perfect world, and VZW as the provider has every right to choose
what they want to offer. We as consumers can accept the service as
provided, not accept the service, or complain. I just don't like gray
areas (fine print) that can come back to bite me.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:52:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 29 May 2005 15:49:32 -0700, "DeeBat" <dkbatson@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I am sure you are probably right. If you are a professional, and all
>you use the "Unlimited" service for is web browsing and checking
>e-mail, VZW will be perfectly happy. But what if you get involved in
>online gaming, or downloading music (legally of course), or internet
>radio, or watching video clips of news (or other things)? These things
>are bandwidth intensive, and what broadband is really made for in the
>opinion of many (including myself). Are these things a violation of
>VZW policy? If you read their "Unlimited" data service policy, it
>seems like a gray area to me. You may argue that users should use a
>land line for this, but some of us (myself included) do not have a land
>line available for much of the time. If a land line was available,
>that's what I would be using. Why pay $80/month if you don't need to?

I don't think online gaming would be practical - the broadband
network is fast for e-mail, usenet, and web browsing, but has terrible
lag. I used it with Real Player Rhapsody, though, which has audio
streaming; no problem.
Emanuel
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <1117406972.000157.193260@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
dkbatson@earthlink.net says...
> Emanuel wrote:
> > I doubt the examples you cite involved people that were innocently
> > surfing the web and checking e-mail a lot; odds are VZW wouldn't
> > notice you unless you're tying up an IP address for 24 hours straight.
>
> I am sure you are probably right. If you are a professional, and all
> you use the "Unlimited" service for is web browsing and checking
> e-mail, VZW will be perfectly happy. But what if you get involved in
> online gaming, or downloading music (legally of course), or internet
> radio, or watching video clips of news (or other things)? These things
> are bandwidth intensive, and what broadband is really made for in the
> opinion of many (including myself). Are these things a violation of
> VZW policy? If you read their "Unlimited" data service policy, it
> seems like a gray area to me. You may argue that users should use a
> land line for this, but some of us (myself included) do not have a land
> line available for much of the time. If a land line was available,
> that's what I would be using. Why pay $80/month if you don't need to?
>
>

Since you included Sprint PCS' newsgroup in this, I should point out
that, at least for Sprint PCS, those streaming media options are almost
a separate service unto themselves. There are a couple of applications
that use the "regular" Internet of the phones to stream to them. But
streaming video is actually part of a dedicated "Multimedia" service.
As such, those kinds of usage actually *would* show up different than,
for example, operating an FTP server via tethered cellular data service.

And yeah, as a former SPCS employee, I actually got a call one night
from a customer doing exactly that over Sprint's "Vision" service.

Which, I guess, is simply a long-winded way of saying yes, carriers
*can* differentiate "server" functions from streaming media.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
!