NZXT Hale90 850W Question

Sherrah

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello guys,

I'm planning to buy the NZXT Hale90 850W PSU (since the Corsair HX850 is not available in my country) and as I was reading over it's components, it says that it comes with 3x 6-pin cables and 3x 6+2-pin cables.

Clearly with those cables, the PSU will not be able to power an SLI setup requiring 2x 8-pin cables per card (like GTX580 Lightning for example).

My question is, if I ever plan to build such setup(dual GTX 580 Lightnings), will I be able to buy an extra 8-pin cable of any brand and run this setup? or will I need a particular 8-pin cable from NZXT? or is the lack of 4x 8-pin PCI-E cables a clear message from NZXT that this PSU will never be able to run a setup that requires dual 8-pin PCI-E cables per card?

Thanks in advance

Sherrah

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the "molex (4pin) to 8 pin" connector which comes with most power hungry cards, however, is there a way to use the provided 6 pin cables? like an adapter or something?

i guess you don't have a problem here, you have 3 cables 6+2 pin and 1 molex adapter will provide the same output, and it comes with every single gpu sold out there

Sherrah

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

I really have to question the logic of the NZXT design team to include only 3 6+2 cables. 90% of 850W PSU's include 4x 6+2 pin cables and this has to be an industry standard I guess.

I was just wondering if I could use one of the provided 6-pin modular cables instead of using a molex adapter.

This would mean using 3 6+2 pin cables and one 6-pin cable with something like a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

well if you're going to complain about this so complain Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling....... :D