Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just built a new PC and can't bring myself to play Xbox or PS3 anymore

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2011 4:14:38 AM

Anybody else feel like this? I'm not sure too many people are in the exact same boat that I am. Basically, I've been a console gamer (Xbox/Playstation) for the better part of 11 years now. Haven't had a gaming PC since the 3dFX days. However, due to the lackluster situation in console land with apparently no new Xbox or PlayStation on the horizon, and not trusting Nintendo's engineers to deliver the goods, I decided to build a nice PC gaming rig. Well, I built the rig, the thing has power, and I've been playing some PC games. Being a real cheap bastard, I've only started out trying to get PC games under $9 or less. I bought Far Cry 2 for $8.50 (before the recent sale), Far Cry 1 for $5.30 (before the sale), Civilization IV for $7 and Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut for $6. (before the sale). I've mostly been playing Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2. I have demos for Just Cause 2, Bulletstorm, Batman Arkham Asylum, Crysis 1 and Dirt 2. I also just bought Just Cause 2 for $5 on that sale yesterday. Haven't played the full version yet.

Everything has looked beautiful, especially the Bulletstorm demo. Far Cry 2 is very beautiful. Everything has looked wonderful.

Having said all of that, my Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are looking at me like I'm crazy, wondering why I'm refusing to turn them on. L.A. Noire just came out, Red Dead Redemption was on sale for $19.99, and Mortal Kombat came out. Normally, I would have rented Mortal Kombat, and bought Red Dead for $19, and waited to get L.A. Noire for like $38 on Craigslist, and I'd be playing all those games and loving it, but I just spent 1 grand on a freaking gaming PC, so what kind of sense would it make for me to spend a red nickel on anything console related? Heck, I've been trying to do the opposite, like selling most of the games in my Xbox 360 catalog. I figure if I like any of those games all that much, I'll get the superior PC version.

What about games like Red Dead and L.A. Noire and Infamous 2 and Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3, etc, etc ?

Well, at the moment, I think I just need to forget about all the console games that aren't coming to PC, because I just dropped 1 grand on a gaming PC, and by golly, I'm going to use the damn thing... lol Seriously though... If I start playing console games just weeks after building a PC, it's almost like the hole thing was a waste. Don't get it twisted, I'm loving the PC right now, because I love playing these games at a true 1080p resolution. The graphics whore in me is feeling very good about the decision. The poor guy that doesn't like spending any money on something I didn't "absolutely" need is kinda wondering what the hell I just did.
June 1, 2011 3:52:25 PM

I don't see a real problem here.
m
l
June 1, 2011 7:23:05 PM

It's not a problem at all. It's just a comment on kinda having a tiny bit of buyers remorse, but ultimately, still being glad that I've jumped on the PC bandwagon.

One thing that I'm not a fan of in regards to these forums is that if you want to post something, it seems like it has to be a problem that is solved, and you have to select who had the best answer, etc, etc. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. I mean, don't get it twisted, I understand the thinking, but this is the only forum that I've ever been on where if you post something it has to be a question that has to get an answer. Just seems a bit weird to me.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 1, 2011 7:34:43 PM

It doesn't have to be a question,
thats one of the options, theres also, discussion threads and polls,
next time you start a thread, check the tabs out at the top
I myself have only asked two or maybe three questions, the rest have been information or build/mod logs, and I know a lot of the regulars are the same
but welcome to the P.c. side :) 
Moto
June 9, 2011 12:27:45 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
It doesn't have to be a question,
thats one of the options, theres also, discussion threads and polls,
next time you start a thread, check the tabs out at the top

Moto

Dang.... I feel like such an azz. I never noticed those tabs, lol. Half of my posts aren't questions at all, and I never new that I could just select discussion.
m
l
June 9, 2011 12:50:26 AM

Np man, it took me several posts before I figured it out too :-)
Glad to help,
Moto
m
l
June 9, 2011 5:29:03 AM

PC Bandwagon? Doesnt exist as there is only the console bandwagon. LOL anywho I have a friend in the same situation as yourself. He recently had me build a $1200 gaming pc for him and is now torn between that and his ps3. He loves the pc for its graphics/cheap games but all his other friends (except me) play ps3 or xbox so he cant pc game with them. All though this did lead to another friend of yours getting a gaming pc. So take your pc and start infecting your friends until all of you have gaming pc's and then you'll be in the cool kid group
m
l
June 11, 2011 5:18:26 PM

Best answer selected by LarryJones1.
m
l
June 11, 2011 5:22:40 PM

mgf derp said:
PC Bandwagon? Doesnt exist as there is only the console bandwagon. LOL anywho I have a friend in the same situation as yourself. He recently had me build a $1200 gaming pc for him and is now torn between that and his ps3. He loves the pc for its graphics/cheap games but all his other friends (except me) play ps3 or xbox so he cant pc game with them. All though this did lead to another friend of yours getting a gaming pc. So take your pc and start infecting your friends until all of you have gaming pc's and then you'll be in the cool kid group

Well, I'm more of an offline player, so the fact that I'm not playing on Xbox Live anymore or PSN anymore isn't a big deal, because I hardly did that in the first place. The only times that I get a bit of buyers remorse, is when I'm listening to my gaming podcasts, and every single podcast is talking about L.A. Noire, a game which isn't available on the PC. Or, when I'm hearing all the e3 coverage, and they are talking about how amazing Uncharted 3 is in 3D, or whatever. I just start to think that maybe I wasted my money on the PC, but then I realize that I bought a brand new copy of Prince of Persia (2008), for the PC for only 4 bucks shipped, and I no longer feel that buyers remorse. I got Red Faction Guerrilla off Steam for only 5 bucks. I got Just Cause 2 for only 5 bucks. Hard to argue with that.

Eventually, when the newness of my PC wears off, I'll mix in some console gaming. But right now, I feel like I need to play everything on the PC and spend all my time gaming on the PC, to.... "get my money's worth" so to speak.
m
l
!