Gaming PC (unusual questions)

warsfear

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
hey guys, my thread is gonna be kinda odd:
a few things: i live in israel, and the currency should be divided by 3.5 if you'd like to see the dollar value.
the prices include tax.
since the availability and pricing of parts may be different here than the US, i ask that whatever you'd like to change be checked here: http://rsm.co.il/smartconfigurator.aspx (scroll down, and choose any component on the list even though you won't be able to read it. when it opens up, the parts will be written in english)

i was suggested this build:

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500K Socket 1155 6MB 95W 3.3Ghz Tray, יחידות 1
₪1046

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B, יחידות 1
₪223

ASRock Z68 Pro3-M Z68 Chipset, יחידות 1
₪580

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ CL9 KVR1333D3N9/4G, יחידות 1
₪209

Samsung 1TB=1000GB 7200RPM 32MB Sata F3 HD103SJ , יחידות 1
₪260

TwinTech GeForce GTX570 1280MB GDDR5 מבצע בקניית מחשב חדש בלבד!, יחידות 1
₪1429

Cooler Master Elite 370 Plus + FSP 550-80GHN(85) 80PLUS Bronze, יחידות 1
₪499
Cooler Master Elite 370 Plus + FSP 550-80GHN(85) 80PLUS Bronze

מסך Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" IPS Panel, יחידות 1
₪998
Dell UltraSharp U2311H

הרכבת מחשב מעל 3000 ש"ח ובדיקת מאמץ לחלקים, יחידות 1
₪50
׳”׳¨׳›׳‘׳× ׳�׳—׳©׳‘ ׳�׳¢׳� 3000 ׳©"׳— ׳•׳‘׳“׳™׳§׳× ׳�׳�׳�׳¥ ׳�׳—׳�׳§׳™׳�

Overclock למערכת, יחידות 1
₪0
Overclock ׳�׳�׳¢׳¨׳›׳×

סה"כ מחיר לכל המוצרים:₪4994

the problem is, i have a 'friend' (he buys and sells computer parts as a living, and deals with them every day), who says this is a big waste for many reasons:
1. he claims buying an extremely strong gpu is a mistake, it is much wiser to split the money in two, and buy for instance a $250 radeon now, and another $250 in a year from now, as technology particularly in gpus can skyrocket.
2. he says buying a radeon amd combo is much stronger, as they are meant for each other - resulting in performance boosts. (he does not like the THG benches, he claims they are intel biased and the motherboards used for intel vs amd are also not equal).
3. he says gaming does not need such a strong cpu, especially with a strong graphics card. i should invest around $50 less.
4. i am not sure the screen is the correct choice.
5. he says (despite what i think i read here) it's worth investing in faster memory for gaming.

well, thank you very much and good luck refuting some content here/recommending changes. :)
daniel

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

That power supply is total RUBBISH. Buy a corsair/antec/XFX power supply. I have no idea how to select the component - i cann't read it but...

"claims buying an extremely strong gpu is a mistake:" No. A GTX 570 is good for gaming on 1920x1080/1920x1200. Really good. It's gonna be good at those resolutions for the next few years. Obviously $250 this year/$250 next is 'better' in the long run, but also more expensive. Spend now, and whenever you NEED the upgrade. The GTX 570 is awesome, and will satisfy your needs most likely (you haven't stated them..) for a long time. 3~ years.

2. "Buying a radeon/amd combo is much stronger." Uhhhhh what? Made for each other? Performance boosts? No. NO. NOOOOOO. The i5 2500k and a gpu will annihilate any AMD processor (ANY) and the same gpu... Intel bias my ****. Your 'friend' is misleading you. The i5 2500k is stronger by far - AMD's top processor could'nt beat the i5 760 - Let alone the i5 2500k/i72600k - These processors beat the AMD's like an iphone beats a brick phone. In every way and by a lot. Plus, the added benefit is that the intel processor/mobo combo isn't much more expensive, yet yields a lot. If you are buying a GTX 570, you basically NEED a sandy bridge quad core. If you want to overclock the processor, and have a gtx 570 - You need the i5 2500k.

3) Gaming does not need a strong cpu. In WOW (A nothing intensive game - you truly don't need anything in this game to run it..) the i5 2500k has 120 fps the phenom 980BE (amds best processor) has 80. The best amd hexacore is even worse.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=288 I5 2500k vs amd 980 phenom. The bottom tests are gaming.. and they are done on the same/comparable motherboards and same parts... motherboardsdont offer an fps boost either.. only in the ability to overclock among others. Investing $50 in a cpu will get you an OLD dual core. having seen amds $200+ vs the i5 2500k $220~ you see the fps difference is severe. Now a $50 cpu will bottleneck your gpu - Your gpu will suffer in performance because your cpu holds it back. think of a race car - If it has the most aerodynamic shape, is made of the lightest materials etc, but has an engine from a mini cooper, it will still be slower than a $20000 car. The engine is the limiting factor... it alone is the major cause of the car being slower than it could've been. In this case, the cpu will hold you back major time. Get a quad core i5 sandy bridge. (i5 2300/i5 2400/i52500k). If you want to oc, get the 2500k. It is a good investment. with a strong graphics card you NEED a "DECENT" cpu for it to operate at its best.. That said, the gpu is more important. But you can't put a gtx 580 and an amd processor, much less an intel pentium 4 or something.. the gtx 580 will be slowed by the cpu.

4) The dell ultrasharp is good. With monitors, u are never sure..
5) He says its worth having faster memory for gaming. No. 1333MHZ is fine. If there is 1600mhz/1866mhz for $5-10 more, go for it. But in terms of gaming, it won't even increase your fps by 1. A gpu will increase it the most, the cpu second, memory is negligible, just make sure it is at least 1333mhz though.

warsfear

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
thanks much.
-is the power supply really that urgent in switching for the extra dough? is there somewhere i might read about it? i mean it comes with warranty anyway.
-doubts have been expressed about the twintech, is the company version ok? gainward results in a $60 increase, so i may as well switch to a radeon then. (anywhere to read about it?)
-about the memory- this site has recommended in recent articles to purchase a min of 8G, and spend a bit extra maybe on timing and finally on mhz. is it not so?
i am however being told by other people that 4G is enough. argh the confusion lol!
-for gaming purposes (sc2 and future gaming maybe diablo3, some current fps') is it truly recommended to add the $, and take the 2500k vs the 2300?

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

If you want to overclock, get the i5 2500k. If you don't, get the i5 2500 (no 'k') or i5 2400 or i5 2300.

4 GB is good enough for gaming, but you are encouraged to get more if it fits in your budget - It'll speed up multitasking when you aren't gaming. It won't help increase fps however.

The power supply IS urgent and worth the extra dough. It doesn't matter if it comes with warranty or not; the fact is, a lot of power supplies from bad manufacturers burn out or blow up. If that happens, you can send it back and get your $30-50 for your psu. But your motherboard, gpu and cpu among other parts will be damaged beyond repair. The warranty isn't for the whole system. Furthermore, the 550 watts which the power supply is rated is most likely false..It's from sparkle - Not a good manufacturer. The unit will not provide the 550 w it says it will. Buy either:

from corsair: tx 650w/750w - not the vx/cx, too old. The hx and ax series are too expensive
From antec: any 650W or above psu from antec
xfx: Any xfx 650w or above.

If you chose an antec/corsair/xfx psu at 800w or above, you can add a second gtx 570...

Your memory also doesn't need to be higher than 1333mhz. If it is say 1600mhz/1866mhz, make sure it isn't more than $10-12 more for the full 8gb than your current set. Timings (lower is better) help too.

I don't know twintech but if its that much cheaper.. go for it! Theres no amd graphics card that is better than the gtx 570 except for the hd 6990.. which is too expensive/loud/hot.

However, consider getting a gtx 560 Ti. If it is around $90¬ or more cheaper. Get a respectable brand of gtx 560 ti then too.. the games y0u listed will not even challenge a gtx 570.. at any resolution. 560ti/ i5 2300 should annihilate it sufficiently.