Needing help on upgrading current system.

daemaro

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Okay so I have a crappy walmart bought computer, it's a emachines. I feel okay with most of the aspects of it.

AMD Athlon II X2 235e Processor 2.7ghz
6GB of RAM
1TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Now I'm a pretty big gamer and I'm looking forward to some of the games coming out within the next year specifically Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. As of now I can't even run The Witcher 2 on full without any problems. It runs at about 5-9 FPS.

This is more of my specs, and how I meet minimum for Witcher 2.
witcher2.png

Now my question is, what should I upgrade to ensure I can run a game like Skyrim. What needs to be upgraded the most to run newer games?

I was told that I should upgrade my graphics card. That's why I've come here. My case is roughly 14 inches in length, not including whats in the way on the inside, So I need a nice compact card that has more "oomph" to it.

Any suggestions?

Please I need some help.

The recommended minimums are just to get it 'to run' at 'some' resolution; if anything, they err toward getting you to buy the game, vice warning you you will have low framerates.

From what I have read in a few threads, The Witcher 2 is a hog of a game (rivaling Crysis or Metro 2033), so, I'm not surprised the X2 and GT240 (slower than an 8800GT) won't allow great performance...

Upgrading to a more powerful GPU such as a GTX460 or 6870 might then exceed you existing PSU's capacity as well, as I doubt EMachines ever includes Corsair, ThermalTake, or Antec PSUs in their builds.

My advice: Sell the rig to someone looking for an office machine, and start saving for a complete new midtower....

daemaro

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Well I did just ugrade to a 600watt ThermalTake PSU, forgot to mention that sorry. The only thing I'm worried about is most bigger cards are huge. I was looking at the GTX470 but it's pretty big I don't think it'd fit? Someone suggested a HD6870 to me.