Multiplier shown as 16x, cannot change

yumcax

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
i7 2600k on an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.
In every program I have tried (CPU-Z, E-LEET, HWMonitor, HWiNFO32) the CPU multiplier stays at 16x (1.6 ghz) even when under load. It has not always been like this, I remember it acting normally before I tried changing any BIOS options. However, re-setting the BIOS does not fix the problem.
I was getting very high temperatures (98c) when using the stock heatsink, even after re-seating it multiple times. When I replaced it with a hyper 212+ I noticed the stock TIM had not melted and spread around at all. It was after this change that I first started noticing these issues. CPU temp stays very low (room-temp at stock multi idle and 7 degrees higher when under load) which at first lead me to believe that the CPU was stuck at 1.6 ghz, but after OCing to 4.8 GHZ (1.415v) I have noticed an increase in CPU temp. The cores are currently sitting around 50c while running IntelBurnTest and Prime95. I do have a second fan on the heat sink, but those temps seem pretty low and I am worried that my CPU is not performing correctly. What do you think?

Solution
I dont think so, maybe is a problems from the beginning that you bought the CPU. Can you test it in another rig or test the components with another CPU?

yumcax

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
What do you mean? Here is the result:
SuperPI.PNG

yumcax

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

God, dammit. The return window for Amazon was 6 days ago, I guess I'll have to look up warranty info from the packaging?

yumcax

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Yikes. I had been noticing some bad performance in some games, I wonder if the CPU is at fault for that. I guess the only way this could have happened is heat damage?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Dont just pop the cpu out yet. I have similar issue back in january, I cant remember exactly how I solved it but probably reinstallation of AIsuit, bios update, messing with bios, and couple of restarts. The problem wont persist after subsequent win7 reinstall. Can you double check your bios multiplier setting? I vaguely remember setting max clock at 16 once. Does the clock change when you increase clock in AIsuit?