Sign in with
Your question

Newish build now instantly restarting

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2011 12:44:09 PM

Hi,

I finished building a new pc about 2 weeks ago and it has ran fine ever since first boot. However, yesterday I put the pc into hibernation, got back a couple of hours later, pressed the power button and it just keeps restarting over and over on its own without even getting to the bios. I have disconnected everything and then tried using just the basics and the problem still persists. I have also cleared cmos and still no luck. Im thinking it may be the psu but i am not sure. Any ideas?

Here are the specs:

i5 2500
4GB Corsair Ram
Arctic Cooling freezer 7 Pro 2
OCZ Stealth Xstream 2 600W
Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 Mobo
Casecom 6788
Asus GTX 560ti

Thanks
June 1, 2011 8:07:36 PM

Anyone?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2011 8:16:19 PM

Do you have another psu to put into the system to verify the psu is working or not or another computer to put the OCZ psu into?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2011 8:19:08 PM

Do you have another PSU you can use for testing?
Check the "Reset" and "Power" buttons to make sure they aren't stuck down. If necessary, disconnect the front panel buttons and just short the pins for the power button with a screwdriver for testing purposes.
June 1, 2011 8:23:22 PM

Unfortunately I have neither. Could it be that the motherboard has become faulty? About 90% of posts I have read on different sites with the same or similar issue involve a gigabyte mobo...

I have also tried that..but still the same result
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2011 10:23:13 PM

Yeah, if it isn't a stuck switch, then it is probably the mobo. A bad PSU will typically just shut down.
When you disconnected everything, did you take the mobo out of the case? If not, check under it for a dropped screw, paperclip, or other foreign object. Since it worked for two weeks, I'll assume you used the standoffs, but if you didn't, that could be a cause as well.

Edit: Spelling
June 2, 2011 8:04:09 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will take the mobo out of the case later and set it up to test again. I have installed standoffs so that wont be the issue
!