Installed Hyper 212+ now comp wont start

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hey all, I desperately need some help.

I recently purchased and installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212+, the install went fine, removed mobo, cleaned cpu (while in socket) with 91% alcohol, applied Artic Silver 5, set heatsink then fan, had to move memory to different slots and reassembled everything inside my Antec 300 Illusion. Went to turn on and nothing happened. The green led light on the mobo lights up when I turn the psu on but nothing happens. Now, when I used to start my machine my one room light would slightly dim, it does that now. I press the on button and it slightly dims, but nothing on the comp starts.

I then tried re-seating the 212+ and again, nothing. I even tried swapping out the 212+ and used the old heatsink and again, nothing. It doesn't start, boot, power up then shut down, just nothing. I tripled checked to make sure the connections were good, I disconnected all non necessary things (gpu, 2nd hdd, cd drive) and nothing.

I then saw something online about the four rubber anti-vibration pads the 212+ comes with (I know their for the fan), that someone used them to put between the mobo and the backplate (which I was originally a little concerned with no rubber buffer). So I tried that and again, nothing.

So now I'm stuck, I guess I'm gonna have to breadboard the components to see if one is faulty. Problem with that is obviously I don't have an extra mobo and cpu (AMD) lying around. I also tried resetting the CMOS (removed for 10 mins).

Any help would be greeeaaatttlllyyy appreciated.

Specs:

MS Vista Business 64 Bit
AMD Quad 635
Asus 785 mobo
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Seagate 500 GB
4 GB DDR3 Ripjaw
Antec Basiq 550 W
Radeon HD 4870
Antec 300 Illusion
CD/DVD Burner

Thanks for the help!!

Solution
Thanks for that.

Two things strike me as possible issues.

1) When you replaced the old HSF, did you move the memory sticks back to their original location?
2) Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I feel that when you go to clean your CPU, you should always remove it from the motherboard rather than cleaning it in place. I don't know that alcohol will damage a motherboard, but why risk it. I'd probably remove the HSF assembly, uninstall the CPU and clean it again. I'd also inspect the motherboard CPU socket for any discoloration or thermal compound that may have been deposited when you first cleaned your CPU.

-Wolf sends

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Sorry about that Wolfshadw.

Here's everything:

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Got this in a combo with the mobo for $179.99 shipped)

Motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA -Bare Drive

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Optical Drive - LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Wolfshadw

Titan
Thanks for that.

Two things strike me as possible issues.

1) When you replaced the old HSF, did you move the memory sticks back to their original location?
2) Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I feel that when you go to clean your CPU, you should always remove it from the motherboard rather than cleaning it in place. I don't know that alcohol will damage a motherboard, but why risk it. I'd probably remove the HSF assembly, uninstall the CPU and clean it again. I'd also inspect the motherboard CPU socket for any discoloration or thermal compound that may have been deposited when you first cleaned your CPU.

-Wolf sends

Solution

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Ty for the quick response.

I had to move the two memory sticks to slots 2 & 4 (I believe) since the heat spreaders on the ram sticks wouldn't fit with the fan & heatsink of the 212+. I tried booting with 2 sticks, then 1 stick and now I don't have any ram in atm.

I used a small amount of alcohol with coffee filters and made sure not to go crazy and swipe the mobo with them. The last time, I took the cpu out to clean and visually inspected the cpu and the surrounding mobo area and I didn't see any indication of thermal compound burn or any discoloration. It seems like the computer doesn't start enough to cause those types of damages.

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I haven't tried with the original ram slots and the old heatsink (I'll try when I get home). If the two RAM slots are bad, shouldn't the comp still boot with no ram, or one stick in slot 1 or 3?

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Tested each ram slot individually and with two different sticks, nothing. Tried another power cord for s&g's, nothing.

I pulled an older psu from my htpc build and hooked it up to my current comp. The computer semi powered on, the hdd was spinning but the cpu heatsink fan wasnt, so I shut the computer off. Made sure the connections were good and hooked up a case fan as well and hit power, again, I heard the hdd spin and I saw the case exhaust fan and led light on, I quickly shut it off.

Any ideas? I thought the old psu would be able to power the computer with bare components connected but it didnt, which I guess points me in the direction of the mobo.

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Finalllllly!!!!

Power supply. I used the old one from my htpc in my main computer. I double checked the connections and noticed that the cpu fan connector was actually in backwards, so I corrected that and it booted up. I ran it for a couple minutes with the bare components installed and everything worked.

Not sure why the psu would crap out on me. I thought I might have been putting a little strain on it with my Radeon 4870 but I only had that installed for about 6-7 months. The only other thing I could think of is since the card was mounted low, near the psu, maybe the gpu was blowing a lot of hot air down towards the psu? I dunno.

Now I'm off to Newegg to get better psu. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Wow, I have the worst luck ever. Computer still won't start.

I tested the new power supply with my computer, it had the old or stock heat sink on, booted up fine and everything.

I went through the tortuous process of tearing my computer apart, re-applying the thermal grease (4th time now) for the hyper 212+ and reassembling everything in my 88 degree apartment. Stupid, dumb, over-confident me, put everything back in (gpu, 2nd hdd) and even zip-tied the cables....yes.....I'm that retarded. Went to power on and the same thing happens. Pulls for a half second, then nothing.

This has to be a short. I think I narrowed it down but I need some confirmation before I throw this POS out my window. The Hyper 212+, I think where it connects to the mobo, there isn't any rubber washer going from the screw-through the mobo-to the backplate. I'm thinking this might be shorting out my mobo or cpu and that's why it won't start.

Now the stock heat sink has a black plastic retainer clip, it allows you to put the screws in the retainer screw holes and tighten trough the mobo to the backplate-mounting bracket. Since last time I used the stock heat sink the computer started up, I'm thinking since the Hyper 212+ doesn't have something like that, that is causing the short.

I'm not sure if this makes sense but I'm hoping someone has some insight. Let me know if you need more clarification, because I'm sure you will.