Sign in with
Your question

Something wrong with my XFX RADEON HD 5770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2011 10:04:16 PM

Hello,
A week ago I bought a new card and I upgraded my Power Supply Unit to support the card. However, ever since I installed it, I started to get some choppy gameplay, even though my FPS isn't dropping... it happens on all games, even without AA and AF on!
To anyone who can't get the idea of whats happening, think of it as frame skip or something.. even though it's not on and my FPS isn't dropping. Also, V sync or whatever is off.

I also seem to get BSODs while I'm asleep or at class. I've yet to witness it while I'm on the computer though... I left GPU Z on all night, and the last entry in the log file was 47 C, so its not over heating or anything when the computer gets a BSOD error.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, etc. But! Still same results. I've went back to my old card (ATI Radeon Hd 5450 lol, not really good...) and I'm not having the problems anymore.

Is the card defective? Or is the Power Supply Unit not enough? I've tried both drivers from AMD's website and XFX's website. Both gave me the same results... lol. I also have checked all the wires to make sure they're plugged in correctly, I've defragmented my hard drive, cleaned the registry etc etc.

My system is:
HP prebuilt computer: HPE-210y
Windows 7 64-bit
XFX Radeon HD 5770 (Went back to ATI Radeon HD 5450)
8GB RAM
Corsair GS600 (600 Watt)
AMD PHENOM II X4 945 (3GHz)

Thank you for any help.

More about : wrong xfx radeon 5770

March 21, 2011 11:23:37 PM

Have you tried using driversweeper and then reinstalling drivers? Your power supply should be more than fine.
m
l
March 21, 2011 11:40:49 PM

^ +1

My guess is a funky card. Try using vsync for the games you have the problem with.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 12:01:39 AM

That power supply is more than enough for that card. You should return/exchange the video card if you can.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 12:25:45 AM

could be the motherboard, not compatible with the card....check for a bios update.
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:55:51 AM

@Benski:
I used Driversweeper while I was reinstalling the Drivers.

@ubercake:
I'll do that, and then post the results on the "new" card.

@iam2thecrowe:
I guess I can try that if I can't find any other solutions to try. Isn't updating your BIOs really risky though? (I've never done it before)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 1:17:54 AM

Sir Brandon said:
@Benski:
I used Driversweeper while I was reinstalling the Drivers.

@ubercake:
I'll do that, and then post the results on the "new" card.

@iam2thecrowe:
I guess I can try that if I can't find any other solutions to try. Isn't updating your BIOs really risky though? (I've never done it before)

iam2thecrowe has a good point and in most cases, you'd want to make sure your BIOS is up to date. On the other hand, that Foxconn 785G micro-ATX motherboard was probably built to HP specifications. Many times, a standard BIOS install wouldn't be the safest bet due to the proprietary nature of the HP builds (Dell is similar). I saw a standard retail version of the Foxconn 785G micro-ATX motherboard on newegg and it looks far different from that which is installed in your PC. Also, the support page for that model PC does not contain a BIOS update. That's a little more risky than trying to update the BIOS on a retail release of a motherboard.

You could try to contact Foxconn and see if they can tell you if there's a BIOS update available. My guess is HP would not encourage their customers to perform BIOS updates because of what might happen if things went wrong during the update.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:18:24 AM

My Native Resolution is 1280x1024. And "drives"? Hard drive?
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:25:53 AM

Are you positive that's the case? I guess I'll look into a new monitor then.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:37:11 AM

Quote:
yes. You see at your resolution the cpu still plays a part. Now the gpu isn't doing much so it will race away from the cpu. That resolution you play at they bench cpus on it.
Higher resolutions the gpu plays more a part the cpu less. So it will be able to keep up

Hmm, okay. Is it possible that the BSODs could be linked to this? Or are we looking at a separate issue here?
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:49:16 AM

Okay, I currently don't have any Minidump files at the moment, but as soon as I get a BSOD, I'll post the results.

Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: I just checked a dump file that I placed on my desktop after a crash (I forgot about it), but I don't see any files in the viewer that are highlighted in red?
m
l
March 22, 2011 2:57:22 AM

There are files in the bottom panel, but none of them are highlighted in pink or red. Or any color. I'll wait until another crash happens.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 9:12:18 AM

Sir Brandon said:
Hmm, okay. Is it possible that the BSODs could be linked to this? Or are we looking at a separate issue here?

BSODs aren't caused by a CPU bottleneck.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:30:41 PM

Okay, Dadiggle. I just got another BSOD, but I'm still not seeing any highlighted files in the bottom panel. Would you like me to upload the file and send you it?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 1:42:35 PM

When you put your old 5450 in the system, it works. When you put the new 5770 in the system, you get BSODs and slow response. We know the PSU is enough for the system and 5770. I had a bad 5850 that caused these types of problems. It would even cause my PC to reboot. I put up with it for a day and took it back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. Problem solved.

Can't you return/exchange the video card?
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:47:46 PM

Yeah, I (think I) can exchange it, but I just got a BSOD on my old card while I was asleep. I'm not getting anymore of that choppy gameplay or anything that I mentioned in my first post with the old one though.

The only changes I've done to this computer were a new PSU and a new card. Is it possible that the PSU is defective or not properly installed?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2011 1:53:18 PM

There's really only one way to install a PSU in most PC cases.

So now your getting BSODs with the old card? You didn't get them at all before you swapped out the PSU and the video card?
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:56:08 PM

ubercake said:
You didn't get them at all before you swapped out the PSU and the video card?

Correct. I never got any BSODs like this before I installed these 2 new products.
m
l
March 23, 2011 9:36:09 AM

Eff it, start from scratch. I suggest reseating everything, checking for dust, and then work your way up from there. You can always try running the graphics card on a separate computer to see if you can isolate the problem.

Also, CPU bottlenecks do not cause BSODs.
m
l
!