Sign in with
Your question

Swapped RAM, does this mean it's the answer?

Last response: in Memory
May 15, 2012 8:01:02 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Last 4 days I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix my GPU. It kept restarting at Windows boot with the GPU in.

Finally I decided to take out two stick of RAM. First time it restarted again, then I took the other two out and replaced them with the two I had taken out before. Finally booted up fine!

Then I took the two that worked, and put them in the two other RAM slots on the motherboard and it booted fine again.

This means for sure that it is a faulty RAM problem right? Not some weird thing where the BIOS or mobo just doesn't want four sticks of RAM?

More about : swapped ram answer

a c 84 } Memory
May 15, 2012 12:22:48 PM

first off check the mb ram guild and the ram you have. you may have to call or email the ram vendor to see if the ram you have is a replacement or new model that replaced one on the mb qal list. i have a 16g set of ram from gskill and a new asus z77 mb and it will only boot with two dimms. if i put three or 4 in the mb ram led will go red. i would swap one dimm and run memtest on two dimm at a time to see if one of the dimms are bad.
m
l
!