Is 86 C normal for i5 2500k on load for 10 minutes? (Stock Speeds)

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Prime 95 is giving me 86 C on load under 10 minutes. This is very frustrating and I can even feel the hot air coming out from my case. Is this the result of faulty thermal paste or something else? On idle I get 50-55 C

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
The thermal paste was heated up and almost not there at all and the tech said that my motherboard is faulty. They reapplied thermal paste but still 60+C in idle. I will never go with MSI motherboards(P67A-GD65) again

What "tech" said your motherboard was faulty? Its really hard for a motherboard to lead to a CPU overheating, basically that would mean that the motherboard voltage regulators for the CPU are outputting too high of a voltage, but to get idle temps up that high would have burnt out the CPU due to high voltage.

Im still betting on the heatsink being improperly applied.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There is nothing wrong with that motherboard brand. I would still suspect the installation of the cpu cooler. Take the cooler off, clean the contact surfaces, put new heatsink compound on, reinstall the cooler making sure that all 4 corners are properly connected.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

true, msi is a decent brand and the gd53 isnt a budget board

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
wait a min, dont you get that problem of high temps when you use too much thermal paste

the guy in shop sounds like a noob at what he does,

i know someone that got a job at thoes places because he could put a motherboard,cpu,cooler,ram and hdd in, in under 30mins, sorry

go to a reputable shop next time, pc world are generally c***

and most thermal paste that comes with the cooler is grey and the cpu would probably fry before the thermal paste

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

Actually one of the motherboards slots were faulty too. You think I haven't check the heatsink? I have already reinstalled the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste. But I am still noticing high temps and freezes.

There is no other explanation due to the fact that he already reinstalled the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste but the temperatures were still the same. Even if MSI is not a bad brand, still I've had a bad experience.

That is a pretty obvious explanation and I wouldn't be posting here if all I had to do is check the heatsink or thermal paste

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

I have checked the temperatures in the BIOS(Temps start to show from 73C). And no, I have never overclocked my processor since I bought it. Need I say more?

And yeah on load, I was checking it using Core Temp 0.99.8 (86 C on all cores)

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Could be too much thermal paste but i doubt it if it was reapplied already and getting same exact temps. Did the tech mess with any bios settings? I saw someone mention it already but what is your Vcore set at? is it auto?

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

Its set on Auto and temps are still coming 86C + on load. It doesn't even matter if the tech even messed with any BIOS settings since the temps are the same anyway. Even after restoring default BIOS setting, the temps are still coming the same.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Buy Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Remove the current paste with the help of some alcohol and apply the newly bought paste on the center of the CPU back. Don't spread it.
Make sure that the air flow in the case is good.

70-72C under 100% load is fine. Not more than 75-80C.

Dereck222

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Did you even read what I posted? I have already reapplied the thermal paste after the previous thermal paste was dried up. And I'm still getting the same temps, infact now I'm getting 3-4C more(Temps going up to 89C now) which is very odd. Just waiting to get the motherboard RMA'ed since its faulty and some of the ports on it aren't functioning too

you have checked your bios is compatible with your cpu? and the stepping is correct?

take out the cpu check the hsf mount is on securely and level. check the surface of the cpu for pits and bumps. if theres a dip in the surface that pretty much travels across the whole cpu plate then you may have to lap it to get it flat.
1s checked (and flattended if need be) replace the cpu. make sure both surfaces are clean and put a rice grain or 2 of paste on the cooler no more. and plonk the cooler down. rotate it slightly left and right to make sure you get rid of any air trapped. and lock it down evenly tighten the 2 top screws till there finger tight then the bottom then back to the top to fully tighten and repeat for the bottom 2.

hopefully this will sort out the issue...
lapping the cpu is where you get different grades of sand paper. from 100grain to 500 grain and use them to level out any impurities in your cpu's heat plate use the rough first till you get what looks like an even surface then use finer and finer grades to polish the newly flattens and even surface.
end result should take about 3 hours and have almost a mirror finish