Your question

P5B-E plus and RAM

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 9:46:08 AM

Hi,

I have an ASUS PBE5 plus motherboard. I wanted to upgrade the memory from 2 gig to 6 gig, I have 3 2gig sticks but after installation, board only recognises the 2gig.
Anything obvious I need to do?

Regards
Jon

More about : p5b ram

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 10:05:05 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I have an ASUS PBE5 plus motherboard. I wanted to upgrade the memory from 2 gig to 6 gig, I have 3 2gig sticks but after installation, board only recognises the 2gig.
Anything obvious I need to do?

Regards
Jon

try just 2 sticks for one it has dual channel memory so you going to get best memory throughput from 2 sticks or 4 sticks, there could be issues regarding whether the board is only able to populate all dimm sockets if single sided dimms only and third of all not sure what os your running but if your only on a 32 bit os your not even gonna be able to see 4 gig memory, usable it will be like 3.5gb
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 1:01:38 PM

Hi Jason,

I am running windows XP with service pack 2 - its primarily a hard disc recorder for a music system so been hesitant to upgrade. XP is really solid for music applications.

The board memory was originally configured with 2 gig 2 x 1gig slotted in slot 1 and slot 3. On the board these are distinguishable as two yellow slots, the other two 2 + 4 are black. I don't know if that tells you anything.

New sticks fitted perfectly, so I assumed that would be that.

What do you think?

Best
Jon
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2012 10:56:05 AM

Quote:
Hi Jason,

I am running windows XP with service pack 2 - its primarily a hard disc recorder for a music system so been hesitant to upgrade. XP is really solid for music applications.

The board memory was originally configured with 2 gig 2 x 1gig slotted in slot 1 and slot 3. On the board these are distinguishable as two yellow slots, the other two 2 + 4 are black. I don't know if that tells you anything.

New sticks fitted perfectly, so I assumed that would be that.

What do you think?

Best
Jon

no matter what you do unless you are running xp '64bit' which 99% of users didnt you will not be able to access more than about 3.5gb of ram full stop, end of story a 32bit operating system cant address files (which ram is treated in the same respect) as big as 4gb. my suggestion is take the 2x 1gb sticks out and only put back in the im assuming 2x2gb sticks that you got extra, this will be the best solution to your issue. like i said in my last post your issue why they cant be seen is you may only be able to populate all slot if single sided ram only. i had the p5e years ago was an ok board but a bit of a lazy overclocker.
!