Upgrade Dell XPS 8100 to i7 2600k

gahooner

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello,

I currently have a Dell XPS8100 (core i7 860, 8GB DDR, 2*1TB hard drives in RAID etc).

I'd like to be able to upgrade the GPU and motherboard to the i7 2600k - however I haven't been able to get hold of any information on what motherboard the new XPS8300 uses. The Dell website is useless.

Would anybody have an idea of how (non)trivial this upgrade might be? And what motherboard (obviously 1155 socket) would be required? I read on one website that Dell might still uses proprietary boards, and on another the XPS8300 is fitted with a micro ATX.

Thanks,

Ben

Solution
Hi Ben,

You want to spend what, at least $700 in upgrades and you are worried about your case?

OK I'll see if I can cover this for you.

First up, if you replace the MB you will need to install a fresh copy of Win 7. The copy that came with your Dell is tied to that motherboard.

So you are going to replace your CPU, MB, OS, and GPU... and also probably the PSU, to cover the GPU upgrade. So spend another $100 on a computer case that will accept the new parts.

And now that we are there, you can see it's best I think to just sell the old comp and build the new one :)

- An i7 860 is still a fine processor. You will not see much improvement from upgrading, unless you overclock and are doing some very intensive work.

Hi Ben,

You want to spend what, at least $700 in upgrades and you are worried about your case?

OK I'll see if I can cover this for you.

First up, if you replace the MB you will need to install a fresh copy of Win 7. The copy that came with your Dell is tied to that motherboard.

So you are going to replace your CPU, MB, OS, and GPU... and also probably the PSU, to cover the GPU upgrade. So spend another $100 on a computer case that will accept the new parts.

And now that we are there, you can see it's best I think to just sell the old comp and build the new one :)

- An i7 860 is still a fine processor. You will not see much improvement from upgrading, unless you overclock and are doing some very intensive work.

Solution

ttmsu90

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I just upgraded my XPS8100 using the Intel DP67DE motherboard and i7-2600. Same footprint as the Dell DH57M01-YD0213 motherboard, even the front panel connector. Re-used my DRAM , SSD, HD5670, re-loaded Windows 7. I replaced the 350W PSU after I bought the system last year.

gahooner

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

Hi ttmsu90,

Thanks for the info - I'll take it in to account with the information Proximion provided. My reason for upgrading is the processor is that I do a lot of CFD, which is why I am after a decent processor...on a shoestring budget. I hadn't realised when buying a Dell that it is so damn fiddly to upgrade... kinda regretting buying the rig now and should have spent £200 more on something I can improve piecemeal as I need.

BTW how did you reload Windows 7 on to your machine, if the software is tied to the motherboard shipped with the XPS8100, as Proximion suggests?

Thanks,

Ben

Latest posts