Help! P9X79 Pro + Corsair Dominator DDR3 (1600): Win7 cannot boot

Hi guys,

I just build my PC with P9X79 pro and Corsair DDR3 Dominator 4x8GB

At first, win7 was working fine with default RAM frequency 1333MHz

Then I realised I need to change BIOS to make them work at 1600MHz

After that, strange things happen. Win7 x64 Enterprise cannot boot, with freezed mouse and black screen....

Then I changed back to 1333MHz, everything works fine again.

What is wrong? What should I do to make RAM work at 1600MHz?

Thanks a lot.

Regards
D
14 answers Last reply
More about help p9x79 corsair dominator ddr3 1600 win7 boot
  1. Often the 'SPD' information gets read incorrectly (OC Failure), and I assume this is a 4x8GB matched set.

In the BIOS change: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile1 should be loaded press F10 to save & exit.

Let me know.
  2. jaquith said:
    Often the 'SPD' information gets read incorrectly (OC Failure), and I assume this is a 4x8GB matched set.

In the BIOS change: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile1 should be loaded press F10 to save & exit.

Let me know.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to manually insert 10-10-10-27 and now it works fine.... Do you think it solved the problem or not?

There is a setting called Command Line, I don't know if I need to keep it as '1' or change it to '2'
  3. Also a quick question:

I checked the RAM I bought and it showed:
    SPD Frequency: 1333MHz
    Tested Frequency: 1600MHz

So should I set it to 1333 or 1600??? Does that count as 'OC' if I set it to 1600MHz?

Thank you
  4. IMO do as I stated, but to undo the manual CAS Timings first press F5 (Load Defaults) then change AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP. This will properly load: DRAM Frequency, VCCSA & PLL Voltages plus the optimized (aka) Tested CAS Timings including the 'Command Rate' which is probably 2 (2N, 2T & 2 mean the same).
  5. jaquith said:
    IMO do as I stated, but to undo the manual CAS Timings first press F5 (Load Defaults) then change AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP. This will properly load: DRAM Frequency, VCCSA & PLL Voltages plus the optimized (aka) Tested CAS Timings including the 'Command Rate' which is probably 2 (2N, 2T & 2 mean the same).

Thank you. I did what you said and it worked perfectly.... Thank you!

BTW: does it count as 'OC' if I set it to work at 1600MHz?
  6. OC - the SB-E officially supports up to DDR3-1600 as 'stock' so it's not really an OC.

Glad to hear it worked!

Next, Test the RAM by creating a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+; download the ISO/zip file, unzip and burn the file to to the CD/DVD media -- generally this is done my double-clicking the extracted file and allowing Windows to burn the media.

Memtest86+ - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) ; you can also use the Flash Drive version.

To boot off the Memtest CD/DVD @ boot keep pressing the F8 and from the list choose the CD/DVD/BR (ODD) drive. It's generally a good idea to run overnight or a bare minimum of 4-passes and with 32GB it can take quite a while -- so again it's best overnight.

Verify that ALL the RAM is being recognized, the Hardware Reserved shouldn't be >50MB:
  7. Hi guys, I have a problem with the same ram Corsair Dominator ddr3 1600 + Asus p9x79 Deluxe. The system (BIOS) + windows show only 24GB of the 32GB installed. Anyway ideas why? I checked the RAM and it is not damaged (maybe I should also try memtest).

Any help would be appreciated.
  8. the memory is 4x8 by the way (sorry, couldn't edit my previous message).
  9. Francesco84 said:
    Hi guys, I have a problem with the same ram Corsair Dominator ddr3 1600 + Asus p9x79 Deluxe. The system (BIOS) + windows show only 24GB of the 32GB installed. Anyway ideas why? I checked the RAM and it is not damaged (maybe I should also try memtest).

Any help would be appreciated.

First make sure the RAM is properly seated and the DIMM locks are ALL snapped down and the RAM is in the 'Blue' DIMM slots.

BIOS versions - make sure you have either version 0906 <or> 1103 and if not then update your BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility (BIOS / Tools / ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility). Download and unzip the latest (.ROM) file, copy file to a FAT32 Flash Drive installed on any 'Black' USB 2.0 port @ rear I/O ports. Latest files - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_DELUXE/#download

CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 10-10-10-27-2N @ 1.50v ; ref - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/309482-30-asus-sabertooth-memory-issue#t2077747

XMP Method:
    BIOS: (no guarantees, but easiest)
    AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
    eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1

/optional that adds stability:
    CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
    CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
    VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
    DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
    DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
    AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test with DDR3-1333
    DRAM Timing Control /Enter
    DRAM CAS -> 10
    DRAM RAS to CAS -> 10
    DRAM RAS PRE -> 10
    DRAM RAS ACT -> 27
    DRAM Command Mode -> 2

CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
    CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
    VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
    DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
    DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Good Luck! :)
  10. Jaquith thank you very much. I really appreciate it.. I will try some of the solutions you gave me even if I did update the BIOS to 1103 and the memory is in the blue DIMM slots. Will update you though.. Thanks!
  11. Often the RAM works poorly @ Defaults and the SB-E also gets 'de-tuned' to 3.6~3.7GHz (turbo) @ DDR3-1333 {SB-E 2 bin loss} and once @ DDR3-1600 everything works better...and @ proper speeds.
  12. Ok so I tried all the above and nothing works. Tried single RAM sticks and they work so it's not the RAM. Any other ideas? I have no clue on what I could try next..
  13. Try to Clear CMOS, unplug PSU from wall socket for 5 minutes to discharge, then using the "Jumper" short for 5+ seconds; see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Next, try the settings above and if that fails then start a ticket @ Corsair - http://www.corsair.com/us/support/technicalsupport/
  14. Thanks. I think I solved it.. the slot at the extreme right of the motherboard doesn't read any RAM when inserted. Might be a motherboard issue then.. I'll try sending it back. Thanks though jaquith!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR3 Corsair Dominator