Incompatible CPU for motherboard, not POSTing

jguy101

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Upgrading my motherboard from Dell Dimension 3000 Intel D865GVHZ (AA C92755-303) to Intel D865GLC (AA C27500-410) so I can have AGP port [i DON'T want pci-e].

SAME Pentium 4 Hyper-Thread 3.00E GHz (L2 1MB, 800 MHz FSB, sSpec SL7PM), SAME 2 Gig of ram. NEW powersupply Powercooler eXtreme Power Plus 500W works fine with old motherboard, i dont think thats the problem. BUT on NEW motherboard will not even POST, just turns on and off in 1 second black screen. The front panel lights don't blink except solid green on power indicator. I can see a green light stays on at the bottom right of the motherboard, indicating its getting power maybe? I think maybe the CPU is not being recognized as BIOS is not up to date (P13 or greater). But there is not way for me to check the BIOS version.

I tried removing the CMOS battery and switching with old motherboard already too.

jguy101

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I tried another CPU P4 2.4GHz sSpec SL6EF which is bios P03 compatible, the earliest bios version so all Intel D865GLC boards regardless of AA number are compatible.

I think the mobo is fried but no bloated capacitors on it. and the green led light on the mobo is on.

jguy101

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
looks like i figured it out myself, i was upgrading a MB D865GVHZ to a D865GLC, the power switch was compatible according to the manuals, they were exact same voltages and such on the pins, but the brown wire i had to cut. it was connecting pin 9 (+5V) and pin 5 (reset). so it was resetting as soon as turned on. did not have to change anything in bios.

ALSO had to use 2 jumpers for front panel audio pin connector, so audio driver did think headphones were plugged in and not allowing back audio from working. jumper on 5 (right out) and 6 (right channel return), 9 (left out) and 10 (left channel return).
SOLVED.

jguy101

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
[fixed]
looks like i figured it out myself, i was upgrading a MB D865GVHZ to a D865GLC, the power switch was compatible according to the manuals, they were exact same voltages and such on the pins, but the brown wire i had to cut. it was connecting pin 9 (+5V) and pin 5 (reset). so it was resetting as soon as turned on. did not have to change anything in bios.

ALSO had to use 2 jumpers for front panel audio pin connector, so audio driver did think headphones were plugged in and not allowing back audio from working. jumper on 5 (right out) and 6 (right channel return), 9 (left out) and 10 (left channel return).
SOLVED.