Should i sell GTX 580 SLI and get 590 SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just built a new gaming rig. Couple days ago with 2x GTX 580's, an i72600k and 16GB g.skill 1600.

I can still return the two gpus for full refund from where i got them, and go for two gtx 590s instead. Im sure ill just have to add about 600 bucks or so. (580s = 500 bucks , 590s = 800 bucks) give or take... blabla, anyways price and money aint an issue....

Im just curious if its worth it and if it will be stable?
I have a 1000 watt PSU by the way. 80 gold rating.

The reason im asking is because i heard the 590s will use 570 chips (2 of them in each card) is that true...

would performance be MUCH better then two 580s or no? is it even possible to sli 590s?

What should I do?

G

I have my computer hooked up to a 52 inch lcd screen tv and i play game about 6 feet away.

I dont know much technical stuff.
Heres what the specs for my television say

•52" Diagonal Full HD 1080p/120 Hz LCD
•Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels

G

Alright thanks for the replies.

Also quick question.

I heard nvidia said, they dont recommend people quad sli'ing the GTX 590s.
Do they mean simply putting two gtx 590s and using 4 gpus..... or do they mean using 4x gtx 590s and using 8 gpus..... ?

What did they mean?

So what killer game are you looking to play on your system anyway? You do realize that a SINGLE GTX580 will do pretty much any current game at >60 fps at max quality settings at that low frankly entry level resolution. If money really is no object, why don't you instead get rid of your current overpowered underutilised Nvidia gear altogether and go AMD EyeFinity and play on THREE of those screens. At least that would make sense. As they say, a fool and his money are easily parted.

G

I play games on that 52" LCD, right now metro 2033 and im waiting for crysis 2 to be available on steam..... but i play online poker on the same computer on 4 21 inch screens so i needed two cards to multitable better on four seperate screens instead of having a bunch of tables open on one.

Call me a fool but money not a problem for me. I was just asking for help here. I dont know too much about computers and just felt like building a decent rig to have some fun with thats all.

G

Show me where i said same time? Are you kidding me?
I said same computer not same time/same setup.
When i play games i take my computer down to my 52 inch tv which is in another part of the house, and when i play poker it goes back up to the office and is connected to four monitors.

Four monitors is the reason i got two cards in sli.
If you got nothing to contribute to the thread why answer it at all? Its amazing how people cant answer a simple question and instead start shooting opinions at what a persons computer build should be like and what products they should of went with "instead" lol.

My questions were 580s vs 590s.
What nvidia meant by its not good to quad sli them
and if my psu would handle them.

i didnt ask what kind of help i need and who i should of went with nvidia or ati or what i shouldve got blabla.... But then again your probably just one of those guys with a shitty ass computer who likes to "laugh" at the rich guys, because they got what you dont. :bounce:

The real answer is that no one knows until the GTX 590 is released this Thursday March 24th. If money is no object, and you have the rest of the system to match up, then two GTX 590's will be top of the line, and give a boost over two GTX 580's. Scaling will not be perfect, but the four GPU's will certainly be better than two.

The GTX 590 will be two downclocked GTX 580 chips with the full 512 shaders each. It will also be able to run three displays off one card. Two GTX 580's will be faster than one GTX 590. Since Nvidia does such a great job with SLI implementation, expect the GTX 590's in SLI to only be limited by the rest of the system (as opposed to drivers or software limitations).

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
SLI is overkill for such a low resolution.
Since you want to run 4 monitors, an Eyefinity 6 card would be the saner choice. It lets you run up to 6 monitor with a single card.
But I'd ditch that 52" LCD anyway and make use of Surround or Eyefinity. Such a setup would actually 'justify' SLI or even Quad Sli.

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Some people sure has some cash to burn.2 gtx 580 is already an overkill.If you want to spend money,buy something else.Or give it to charity.Most games are not demanding at all.Thanks to consoles.Many are bad console port and will run like a crap regardless of your hardware.Only few games genuinely require graphics muscle.Eg. Just cause2,BFBC2,upcoming BF3,Upcoming elder scroll skyrim.Frankly most top games uses heavily modified unreal engine.ME2,3,Batman arkham asylum to name a few.

I agree with Matto on this one. Though they can have different clockrates and brand names, cards in an SLI configuration depend on the same models having the same amount of RAM on them. I'm thinking the 590 will pose a problem with regard to the memory portion of the equation.

The memory shouldn't pose a problem actually. The "3GB" GTX 590 is 1.5 GB per GPU (and the memory is divided up, so each GPU has 1.5 GB dedicated). The 580 is also 1.5GB. This is why trifire between a 2GB 4870x2 and a 1GB 4870 works.

I still don't think 580/590 Tri-SLI will work, but the memory isn't the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.