smckdwn989

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
so i built a machine tonight with an i5-2500k, x68 PRO mainboard by asus, 750watt ps by corsair and 8 gigs of ram...

the asus board has led indicators for troubleshooting and when I boot the CPU led indicator stays on, the machine will power on, for like 3 seconds, shutdown and then turn back on but i am unable to post.

i've reseated the CPU, and reset the cmos, but i'm out of ideas... all required power are plugged in, incluing the 8 pin...

please help, should i consider getting newegg to sent a replacement CPU?

Measuring voltage at the psu when not under load unfortunately doesn't prove much of anything. IOW, since I don't know what kind of psu tester you used, you could still have a psu issue.

Which Asus mobo are you using?

When you reset CMOS, did you clear CMOS and then load optimized defaults in BIOS, save, and exit?

have you tried to post with one stick of memory? then with the other?

BTW, statistically the least likely part to suspect is the cpu.

Hi Twoboxer

I have seen a similar problem of trying to bootup then failing then starting again continuously in a loop

It was caused by a corrupt bios. Despite having a dual bios there was no way of forcing the motherboard to boot from the backup bios.

(This happened to me after fitting a faster CPU, the BIOS decided it was corrupt, tried to flash the main bios from the backup bios and failed.
I was not asked if I wanted to proceed.)

If your PC has a jumper to select the secondary bios you may be able to recover.

Did the motherboard support your CPU with the bios it was supplied with .
If not it may be your fault.
If it does support the CPU the motherboard can be returned to supplier as faulty.

regards
Mike Barnes

smckdwn989

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
i have an older ocz 700 game stream powersupply in an old rig... can i use two of the 4 pin cpu connectors as the 8pin to try and troubleshoot the new machine?

ok i tried the other power supply and I am getting the exact same problem, so i'm thinking it's either the motherboard or the cpu...

smckdwn989

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
after talking with asus, trying a few things i pulled the HSF off and looked at the CPU socket... something seems off, so i am going to RMA the board, i used the retention clip properly so i don't think i was at fault for the pin situation but who knows... hopefully the RMA goes smoothly. hopefully my guess is right and it's the mobo and I can get this machine up an running early next week.

thanks all