Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel Rapid Storage Asus X79 Deluxe Raid

Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2012 4:36:04 PM

Hello,
I installed my OS (win 7 64bit) on a OCZ 240 SSD in AHCI mode and I have had it backing up to a 1 TB western digital. I want to add a 1 TB to the one there an mirror them on the Intel controller. I just finished a chat session with intel and they say i cant do it without reinstalling the OS in RAID mode. the OS drive isn't even on their controller. Before talking with them i tried it and and the controller wouldn't create the volume unless i was in Raid mode. so i switched and created the volume. then disk manager didn't see the volume i created.... so i switched back to AHCI and now disk manager sees a single 8 hundred something GB volume in disk manager. did i do it? is this really raided? More or less what have i done?
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 5:22:10 PM

I'm confused, sounds like you already had a backup of the OS, why mirror that additionally?

What is the 800GB volume labeled as?
It sounds like all you did is create a partition and now you need to right click on the OS and select "mirror" and choose that new volume as the location for the mirror.

I have my OS on an SSD and then in the Drive Manager I created a mirror of the OS on a partition on my larger drive. In addition, I keep a folder of the most critical docs on the larger partition of the large drive. That's about as much redundancy as anyone needs for average use.
Score
a b å Intel
a c 169 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 5:30:10 PM

Hi there. The Intel tech is a bit... misinformed. That or you didn't explain your question thoroughly. On Intel boards "RAID" mode is AHCI+RAID which means that non-member disks will operate in AHCI mode while member disks will operate in RAID mode. Thus, unless you have a compelling reason to run the device without RAID, it's always advisable to run it in RAID mode.

However, Windows does not have build in driver support for the X79 chipset and as such you will have to have a USB stick with the x79 RAID drivers ready when installing Windows under RAID mode. However, if you install Windows to a non-RAID member disk in AHCI mode, install the RSTe drivers and then enable RAID mode afterwards it should work as well
Score
Related resources
May 15, 2012 6:24:47 PM

Pinhedd said:
Hi there. The Intel tech is a bit... misinformed. That or you didn't explain your question thoroughly. On Intel boards "RAID" mode is AHCI+RAID which means that non-member disks will operate in AHCI mode while member disks will operate in RAID mode. Thus, unless you have a compelling reason to run the device without RAID, it's always advisable to run it in RAID mode.

However, Windows does not have build in driver support for the X79 chipset and as such you will have to have a USB stick with the x79 RAID drivers ready when installing Windows under RAID mode. However, if you install Windows to a non-RAID member disk in AHCI mode, install the RSTe drivers and then enable RAID mode afterwards it should work as well

thats what i thought... however the volume i created didn't show up in disk manager while I was in Raid Mode. when i switched back to AHCI a volume of 850GB or so was there. is that my mirrored volume?
Score
a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 7:27:01 PM

Unless you properly 'injected/installed' the Intel RSTE driver during Windows installation there's no way to change to 'RAID' without causing a BSOD.

I personally run an SSD + RAID 1 (Mirror) on the X79; here's my guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...
Score
May 15, 2012 8:13:01 PM

jaquith said:
Unless you properly 'injected/installed' the Intel RSTE driver during Windows installation there's no way to change to 'RAID' without causing a BSOD.

I personally run an SSD + RAID 1 (Mirror) on the X79; here's my guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...

i didn't BSOD when i switched back and forth.

i read http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022830...
it says for win 7 i dont need to do the F6 install. but that page doesn't explain how to do it without using the F6 install during the operating system install.
I am not trying to set this up for my OS disc. just a separate volume.
Score

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 8:41:49 PM

ijustaguy said:
i didn't BSOD when i switched back and forth.
I am not trying to set this up for my OS disc. just a separate volume.

Then Intel SATA -> RAID, save (F10), boot Ctrl + I, set up the RAID on the 'other drives' using the arrows + Enter as a RAID (Mirror) & Save = done! Once that's done in windows open Disk Management, and Format MBR (<2TB) or GPT (>2TB) and NTFS.

My boot (OS) SSD is not running a RAID (NON-RAID Disk), my 2x1TB are in RAID 1 (Member Disk).
May 15, 2012 9:17:02 PM

jaquith said:
Then Intel SATA -> RAID, save (F10), boot Ctrl + I, set up the RAID on the 'other drives' using the arrows + Enter as a RAID (Mirror) & Save = done! Once that's done in windows open Disk Management, and Format MBR (<2TB) or GPT (>2TB) and NTFS.

My boot (OS) SSD is not running a RAID (NON-RAID Disk), my 2x1TB are in RAID 1 (Member Disk).

I did that exactly only the volume doesn't appear in Disk Management unless i switch back to AHCI in the BIOS. is it suppose to be like that? did it actually work?
Score
May 15, 2012 9:20:56 PM

also when i installed my OS i installed the intel rapid storage technology driver. during this whole process i threw an error and wouldn't open. Thats why i used the interface during startup (ctrl-I) to build the raid 1 volume. i uninstalled the driver and now i cant re-install. it says i dont meet the system requirements. !?!?!?! what is going on?
Score
May 15, 2012 9:33:49 PM

FIXED
Thank you for your help jaquith. I had it right from the beginning but was unsure if I was right.
Re-installing the driver once in RAID made the volume visible to windows.
Score
May 15, 2012 9:34:42 PM

Best answer selected by ijustaguy.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 10:45:51 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!