Sign in with
Your question

Any comments are welcome on my new build!

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2011 6:53:59 PM

Parts:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-2500K Boxed
RAM: Kingston Dual channel HyperX T1 DDR3 KHX2333C9D3T1K2/4GX (two packages of two 2GB DIMM = 8GB)
VGA: MSI R6970 Lightning (on PCIe x16 2.1)
HDD: Seagate Constellation ES.2 SATA 6Gb/s 3-TB Hard Drive with Secure Encryption (four in RAID 0 on SATAIII-600)
Audio: Creative - SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD (on PCIe x1)
MB: Asus - Maximus IV Extreme REV 3.0 (two extra SATAIII-600 2-in-1 signal Y-cables)
Optical: Plextor - PX-LB950SA (two on SATAII-300)
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X
PSU: FSP Group - Aurum 700

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Logitech - G19
Mouse: Logitech - G9x
Display: Dell - Professional P2411H
Speakers: Logitech - Z906
Mousepad: Razer - Destructor Special Edition White
USB-Flash: Kingston - 64GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Ultimate G2
Network: Linksys - E4200 (CAT-7a cables included)

Software:

OS: Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (English)

Parts awaiting AMD "Bulldozer"s performance:

CPU
RAM
MB

Parts and peripherals awaiting Creative Sound Core3D:

Audio
Speakers

More about : comments build

June 1, 2011 7:46:40 PM

That's quite the build. Not sure why you went with 4 x 2gb of RAM though. It's a lot safer to go with a pack of 2 x 4gb so you know they're identical, plus it leaves room for upgrade.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:12:15 PM

I'm not sure why you'd want to put 4 3TB hard drives in raid 0 when you could just get a SSD for speed and a couple HDDs for storage. Or did you mean a raid 0+1 set up?
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2011 8:19:28 PM

the haf series collects a lot of dust and the paint chips off over time. get the nzxt phantom corsair 650d/600t. get a corsair/xfx 850w psu like the corsair hx 850 that will handle that card in sli. 1600mhz sli is fine 2333 mhz ram is overkill and again get one with 2 sticks 4gb of memory in each stick. does any one person need 12tb's of space maybe that should be an upgrade from 6 if you even need it. here's a better blu ray burner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and again do you really need 2 start with one and if you really feel the need go with 2. instead of putting thos hdd's in raid have you thought of a ssd? usually onboard sound is good enough. you dont need that motherboard this one will do- http://www.amazon.com/P8P67-EVO-REV-3-0-Motherboard/dp/... . do you need a usb 3.0 flashdrive 2.0's will suffice. windows 7 home premium will do.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:19:54 PM

and whats your total budget.
m
l
June 2, 2011 10:52:05 AM

@Jackofhearts495

It's the highest ranking RAM in it's QVL-list so it is forbest performance.
First I wanted to go with GeIL 2400Mhz but for one, they weren't in the MB's QVL-list and secondly, they're of way lower quality (being thin and all, felt like 100% plastic).

@ crewton

Believe me, I need the space. When I think about all those years, each time making new build I had to multiply the discspace by 10.

@ mjmjpfaff

I'm from Holland. So, all the cases to choose from are more or less these, "http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/61/behuizingen.html"
Remember! It has to be a tower at max 220mm/230mm wide, what fits an XL-ATX (also for future builds), alot of bays for internal 3.5" and external 5.25", a USB 3.0 (e-SATA is welcome) front panel, air-intake in front (out at the rear and nothing on the sides, top and/or bottom) and room on the bottom for the PSU.

@ mjmjpfaff (again)

My budget is about 2500 Euros, maybe I can stretch it, maybe not, at least if I do it right like "bang-for-the-buck".
m
l
June 2, 2011 11:20:56 AM

New build:

Parts:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-2600K Boxed
RAM: Kingston Dual channel HyperX T1 DDR3 KHX2333C9D3T1K2/4GX (two packages of two 2GB DIMM = 8GB)
VGA: MSI R6970 Lightning (on PCIe x16 2.1)
HDD: Seagate Constellation ES.2 SATA 6Gb/s 3-TB Hard Drive with Secure Encryption (four in RAID 0 on SATAIII-600)
Audio: Creative - SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD (on PCIe x1)
MB: Asus - Maximus IV Extreme REV 3.0 (two extra SATAIII-600 2-in-1 signal Y-cables)
Optical: Plextor - PX-LB950SA (two on SATAII-300)
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X
PSU: FSP Group - Aurum 700

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Logitech - G19
Mouse: Logitech - G9x
Display: Dell - Professional P2411H
Speakers: Logitech - Z-5500
Mousepad: Razer - Destructor Special Edition White
USB-Flash: Kingston - 64GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Ultimate G2
Network: Linksys - E4200 (CAT-7a cables included)

Software:

OS: Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (English)

Parts awaiting AMD "Bulldozer"s performance:

CPU
RAM
MB

Parts and peripherals awaiting Creative Sound Core3D:

Audio
Speakers
m
l
June 2, 2011 11:33:59 AM

that extra ram will serve you well. Eventually down the line it'll become the new standard.

the Creative X-Fi have some "trap" cards that are advertised as X-Fi, but at actually Audigy cards just rebranded. Not sure if the one you've got is one of those, just through I should throw it out there.

I'm also going to echo the idea of using SSD, at least for a boot drive.
m
l
June 2, 2011 11:55:16 AM

KazumaCTHDWE said:
that extra ram will serve you well. Eventually down the line it'll become the new standard.

the Creative X-Fi have some "trap" cards that are advertised as X-Fi, but at actually Audigy cards just rebranded. Not sure if the one you've got is one of those, just through I should throw it out there.

I'm also going to echo the idea of using SSD, at least for a boot drive.

Exactly! That's what I was thinkin' too, ALWAYS think for now AND future times (at least, if it doesn't cost to much compared to buying it when needed).

I don't have the parts and peripherals yet, it's for my "soon to be" rig.

They do? How can I make sure I'll have a genuine X-fi card?

Sorry, that's a no-go for me. I'll never go fo SSD when the prices are that high per GB, not being as reliable as HDD and the drives are so low in capacity.
No, I never had the experience with an SSD and I never want to. You don't miss what you've never experienced ;) .
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:36:07 PM

@ crewton

No I'd really like RAID 0 for the 4x 3TB drives, for the speed as the drives are very reliable themselves.

Check out the list of features as stated by Seagate:

Industry’s highest capacity enterprise drive for sustaining demanding data growth.

Fifth-generation, capacity-optimized nearline drive designed for 24x7 enterprise reliability.

SAS-based, end-to-end data integrity and enhanced error correction for accurate data storage.

Best-in-class enhanced rotational vibration tolerance ensures consistent bulk data performance.

Improved power and cooling efficiencies with low power consumption and enhanced PowerChoice™ technology.

Multi-drive firmware maximized for enterprise system availability.

Robust performance with dual processor and ramp load technologies.

Self-Encrypting Drives with FIPS (140-2) certification are government-approved for the U.S. and Canadian governments.

So, I think a RAID 0 config is pretty safe AND fast.
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:47:34 PM

jackofhearts495 said:
That's quite the build. Not sure why you went with 4 x 2gb of RAM though. It's a lot safer to go with a pack of 2 x 4gb so you know they're identical, plus it leaves room for upgrade.

When following the QVL-list of the MB, it's the fastest RAM available wich was tested by the MB-manufacturers themselves.

Why is that? Aren't they always identical when comparing the serial numbers?
m
l
June 2, 2011 1:11:01 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
why not go for the newer Z68 chipset motherboards, such as this:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

or this:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

Check out "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets"
Answers are simple, I'll never ever go for SSD and don't intend to be needing FDI support until we see some benchies wich consider the overall performance of Z68 wich has to be (much) higher than P67.

btw, have you actually hacked the PS3 for games, only the network or not at all (yet)?
m
l
June 2, 2011 1:14:38 PM

aminebouhafs said:
Check out "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets"
Answers are simple, I'll never ever go for SSD and don't intend to be needing FDI support until we see some benchies wich consider the overall performance of Z68 wich has to be (much) higher than P67.

btw, have you actually hacked the PS3 for games, only the network or not at all (yet)?

i dont do it for games i do it for homebrew, and yes i have done, i also programme homebrew apps for PS3. a Z68 motherboard would be good if you would like to use the hybrid integrated+dedicated GPU tech, which allows you to switch beetween discrete and integrated when your dedicated is not needed.
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:10:17 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
i dont do it for games i do it for homebrew, and yes i have done, i also programme homebrew apps for PS3. a Z68 motherboard would be good if you would like to use the hybrid integrated+dedicated GPU tech, which allows you to switch beetween discrete and integrated when your dedicated is not needed.

Yes, that is what I meant, for homebrew. Can you tell me what I can do to run homebrew?
Why bother switching the gfx chip? If it doesn't help make the power-bill lower and the gfx-card to live longer than sorry, I'm not your man thinkin' 'bout preserving the planet that way.
Btw, the Z68 "only" has two SATAIII-600 ports. I wish it had the SATAIII-600 ports available on X79 boards. Now THAT's a board. Only wish they were for the 1155. That way they would REALLY have a winner!
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:17:04 PM

aminebouhafs said:
Yes, that is what I meant, for homebrew. Can you tell me what I can do to run homebrew?
Why bother switching the gfx chip? If it doesn't help make the power-bill lower and the gfx-card to live longer than sorry, I'm not your man thinkin' 'bout preserving the planet that way.
Btw, the Z68 "only" has two SATAIII-600 ports. I wish it had the SATAIII-600 ports available on X79 boards. Now THAT's a board. Only wish they were for the 1155. That way they would REALLY have a winner!

ok cool, if you dont want to switch beetween the two GPUs then the P67 will serve you well, and for the PS3 thing you will need to be on firmware 3.55 or lower.
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:38:03 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
ok cool, if you dont want to switch beetween the two GPUs then the P67 will serve you well, and for the PS3 thing you will need to be on firmware 3.55 or lower.

Allright and I'm allready on the latest fw on my PS3 so that's also a no-go for me.
But thanx anyway.
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:41:02 PM

aminebouhafs said:
Allright and I'm allready on the latest fw on my PS3 so that's also a no-go for me.
But thanx anyway.

yeah wont work on 3.61 as of now, but they are working on it.
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:45:12 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
yeah wont work on 3.61 as of now, but they are working on it.

That's okay, I needed the push to keep it on just PC-gaming and that's it.
That way I have a present for my nephew this week!
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:55:28 PM

I am going to advise that you change the memory that you have selected. For the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors you want to be using memory that is 1.5v or lower.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
!