Sign in with
Your question

CPU Cooling

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2011 11:19:11 AM

Hey,
Currently, when I play games, my CPU gets really hot, I mean 95s. It has a stock cooler on, but I also have a MSI GTX 580 Lightning, so I thought the CPU wasn't going to do much work. Can you recommend me a cooler than will help me get temps down to maybe 60s? I heard good things about noctua. Thanks

More about : cpu cooling

a c 850 à CPUs
August 27, 2011 11:41:56 AM

What CPU? 95°C?
Please post full specs inclusive of case and PSU and if overclocked how much!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 27, 2011 12:11:56 PM

is your cpu fan correctly attached or is it overclocked
m
l
August 27, 2011 9:56:00 PM

Ya CPU is correctly attached
CPU i5 2700k
Case Fortress ft03 (even though I took one side off for better air)
Video MSI GTX 580 Lightning
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
Mobo Z68MA-D2H-B3
Power CoolerMaster 1000W
Case has 3 internal 120mm fans

For now, can you suggest without factoring price? Thanks
m
l
August 27, 2011 10:23:11 PM

I'm assuming you actually mean i5 2500K, right? Anyway, 95C is simply RIDICULOUS. You're saying the HSF is attached properly - I would double check if I were you. Rip it off, clean, reapply TIM, reseat the whole thing. If you're absolutely sure it's OK, check all software that's allowed to control your CPU fan. This includes BIOS, not just stuff like SpeedFan running under Windows. It's possible the heatsink fan is set to run on very low RPM at all times. If you can spin it up, it will make a HUGE difference. If that's not the problem and you definitely wanna go with aftermarket cooling, I'm giving tinmann +1 for the cooler suggestion. Can't go wrong with the 212.
Ah! And make sure you're not overvolting your CPU, or generally pushing it too far if you're overclocking.
m
l
August 27, 2011 10:30:16 PM

I'm not OCing the CPU. What kinds of temps do you guys see for 212 on load with i5 2500k? Also, where in BIOS do I go to see fan speed, because I don't even know how to control it. Thanks

I'm also hitting 60s on GPUZ with fans at 45% playing TF2 at 1920 with med settings
I'm also idling at 52, is that normal for i5?
m
l
August 28, 2011 12:22:22 AM

Running my CPU on water, so cannot tell you exact temps for 212, but I'm sure someone can tell you soon, since many people run this cooler. Basically- temps will be WAY lower, provided any decent air flow inside the case.
The location of fan control (if your mobo supports it) depends on BIOS of course, but don't be afraid to go into each submenu and look around carefully. Start with the hardware monitoring section and keep in mind that many BIOSes do not reveal some settings until you set the given section to manual control (from auto). Also, your mobo's user's manual will most likely have a description of every BIOS screen, so don't be afraid to RTFM.
60-70C on a GTX 580 while playing is entirely normal. And with the fans at 45%, it's actually very good.
Idling that CPU at 52C is an OK temp. Not terribly good, would be nice to go a few degrees lower, but still COMPLETELY SAFE, if that's what you're worried about.
m
l
August 28, 2011 12:37:09 AM

If I don't OC, do you think I should buy NH D14 or H80s?
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 4:19:42 AM

I have a stock i5 750 with a 212+. Even with my high ambient temps I still idle in the high 30s. Under load playing games I've only seen just under 50c. For him to be idling in the 50s his ambient would have to be in the mid 30s I would think. If 35c, that would make it 95F in his room. I doubt its that hot in there. I'm assuming the HSF isn't on correctly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 4:25:01 AM

If you are at 95 then there is definitely a problem with the cooler. I second the recommendation to clean and reinstall it.

If you aren't overclocking then the stock cooler should be fine. There isn't any reason to not overclock unless you don't want to spend the money for an aftermarket cooler. Sometimes a good aftermarket cooler will give you lower temps overclocked than the stock cooler will at stock speeds.
m
l
August 28, 2011 7:47:03 AM

Hahaha I live in Vancouver so its never over 27C here. I think I'll try to re attach heat sink then. I might change thermal compound though since I was using the one already applied, what do you guys recommend?
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 7:55:02 AM

Around 15°C over ambient would be considered good idle temp.
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:06:22 AM

What kind of thermal paste should I use for reseating?
m
l
August 28, 2011 8:28:24 AM

Does AC5 need curing time?
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 8:34:45 AM

No just run it up, it will cure in a few days and temps drop slightly.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 9:07:53 AM

I know AS used to need 200hrs cure time with "several" temp cycles. AS5, MX-2, MX4, IC diamond, etc are all considered good.
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 9:55:30 AM

Artic Silver 5 instructions;
"Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired."
m
l
August 28, 2011 10:11:31 AM

Does it mean CPU will measure cooler during break in? Hahaha if thats the case, I'll keep reapplying every week or so.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 10:46:25 AM

Doesn't work that way. Each new coat would need the cure time. Basically it means that if you see idle temps of 32c, and load temps of 60, you should/could see 30/57 after 200Hrs and temp cycles.
m
l
August 28, 2011 11:10:22 AM

Have you guys heard of something called Indigo Extreme? Performance figures show its 5C cooler than AS5 or anything close.
m
l
August 28, 2011 11:37:29 AM

To be honest I did not read the entire thread....
I did see younger at 95c. That's not good at all. 75c max if OC'd is what I've seen many sites recommend.
Personally I won't go above 70c as I want my stuff to work without hiccups or demise. Below is my previos posting for a guy debating an H-80 vs air:

I have an H-70 which is much like the H-80. The system is closed and should not leak and requires no maintenance. If u truly are paranoid about leaks then yes glue, tape or putty will help.
Personally, I have had many aircoolers and was reluctant to try a "lesser" water setup. I didn't want to get to involved in buying a bunch of parts for a "real" water system nor figure out how to install it all. I'm lazy that way.

I can tell you that yes the stock fans for the H-70 and its close cousin the H-80 are stupid gross and will annoy you. I had to swap them out for some gentle typhoons I think it was. Cfm and static pressure for the win. MUCH better now.
As far as heat performance, the H-70/80 is very capable. It may not be the absolute chart topping monster but to be honest that isnt necessary unless u got one of the very few chips that actually hits 4.8GHz or more. I am very satisfied. My i7 2600k@4.6GHz runs 3hour renders (100%CPU use) at a 68c max. That's totally coooool with me. Ps. The H-70/80 comes with thermal paste already applied. Just install. Some purists will say that it's garbage but my temps say whatev.

The best part is that the H-70/80 will clean up ur internal case environment. This gives you cooler temps and air flow on your other components and allows easy access to them. Both of these facts are important.
Buy a H-80 from a local store...install...if no likey take it back. No fowl and lesson learned.
Ps. The clean sleekness of a water cooling setup is intoxicating....at any price point. All that clutter from an air setup...gone.

I use my PC alot and demandingly as I am a product engineer utilizing CAD and rendering programs. My two cents in the bucket. Hope it helps.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 28, 2011 12:03:03 PM

The thing is for what you paid for that, there are cheaper air coolers that would be just as good.
m
l
August 28, 2011 12:21:59 PM

U r totally right. But ease of use and simplicity not cost got the best of me.
m
l
August 28, 2011 9:14:16 PM

^ But I already spent lots on this computer, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to protect it.
m
l
!