Classic Zelda

Last response: in Video Games
September 3, 2004 9:48:25 AM

I just picked up a limited edition of the Classic GBA SP today for only $77,
on sale at Circuit City.
I got a copy of the original Zelda that came out on the NES. I have never
really played any of the Zelda games for any length of time. The one I saw,
I think may have been for the SNES. You could hit the bushes and get money,
etc...
Anyway, I am finding this one HARD! I hardly get anywhere with it before
dying. I am not the best at video games, but I am not really bad either...
Are there any cheats for this game or is it even worth it?
Has anyone played it for GBA?
Thanks!

More about : classic zelda

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 9:48:26 AM

"Dreams5" <dreams5@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> I just picked up a limited edition of the Classic GBA SP today for only
$77,
> on sale at Circuit City.
> I got a copy of the original Zelda that came out on the NES. I have never
> really played any of the Zelda games for any length of time. The one I
saw,
> I think may have been for the SNES. You could hit the bushes and get
money,
> etc...

That's also available on the GBA (and yes, it was the SNES one). It's
called The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The GBA one lets you hook
up to other GBAs to play a new multiplayer game called Four Swords (a Four
Swords game also came out for GameCube). The NES one's name is just The
Legend of Zelda.

> Anyway, I am finding this one HARD! I hardly get anywhere with it before
> dying. I am not the best at video games, but I am not really bad either...
> Are there any cheats for this game or is it even worth it?
> Has anyone played it for GBA?

I've played it on the GameCube, on the Zelda bonus disc I got by renewing my
Nintendo Power subscription. It's a hard game, but it becomes harder
because it lets you go anywhere you want on the world map, even at the
beginning of the game.

It could be that you're going into the later dungeons before you're ready.
When you go into a dungeon, check the level number at the top of the screen.
If you don't go through them in the right order (1-8), it's quite possible
you'll be killed. I'm definitely not saying it's easy that way, though;
some bosses/mini-bosses can be very hard no matter what you do. You'll need
to get as many of those hearts off the world map as possible, too, as you
acquire new gadgets. Try to go into boss fights with full health so that
you can shoot those sword-beam thingies. For certain bosses (the ones that
move around a lot), you'll probably want to bring the maximum number of
bombs or arrows with you.

Also, you didn't happen to enter your name as ZELDA, did you? If so, then
you're playing the second quest, which is harder.

Don't forget to check out the guides at www.gamefaqs.com. You'll probably
need them.

Good luck!

//mike tyndall
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:08:40 AM

> > I just picked up a limited edition of the Classic GBA SP today for only
> $77,
> > on sale at Circuit City.
> > I got a copy of the original Zelda that came out on the NES. I have
never
> > really played any of the Zelda games for any length of time. The one I
> saw,
> > I think may have been for the SNES. You could hit the bushes and get
> money,
> > etc...
>
> That's also available on the GBA (and yes, it was the SNES one). It's
> called The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The GBA one lets you hook
> up to other GBAs to play a new multiplayer game called Four Swords (a Four
> Swords game also came out for GameCube). The NES one's name is just The
> Legend of Zelda.
>
> > Anyway, I am finding this one HARD! I hardly get anywhere with it before
> > dying. I am not the best at video games, but I am not really bad
either...
> > Are there any cheats for this game or is it even worth it?
> > Has anyone played it for GBA?
>
> I've played it on the GameCube, on the Zelda bonus disc I got by renewing
my
> Nintendo Power subscription. It's a hard game, but it becomes harder
> because it lets you go anywhere you want on the world map, even at the
> beginning of the game.
>
> It could be that you're going into the later dungeons before you're ready.
> When you go into a dungeon, check the level number at the top of the
screen.
> If you don't go through them in the right order (1-8), it's quite possible
> you'll be killed. I'm definitely not saying it's easy that way, though;
> some bosses/mini-bosses can be very hard no matter what you do. You'll
need
> to get as many of those hearts off the world map as possible, too, as you
> acquire new gadgets. Try to go into boss fights with full health so that
> you can shoot those sword-beam thingies. For certain bosses (the ones
that
> move around a lot), you'll probably want to bring the maximum number of
> bombs or arrows with you.
>
> Also, you didn't happen to enter your name as ZELDA, did you? If so, then
> you're playing the second quest, which is harder.
>
> Don't forget to check out the guides at www.gamefaqs.com. You'll probably
> need them.

Thanks, Mike!
I probably should have gotten a link to the past. When I saw that all the
old games had been released on the GC, I checked it out as the price of the
GC had dropped.... Well, what I found is that they are no longer selling the
GC with the Zelda disc, they are selling just the disc for over $50! Yikes!
Sure wish I had gotten one of these when they came out...
Oh well!
September 3, 2004 11:08:41 AM

> [...]
> > bombs or arrows with you.
> >
> > Also, you didn't happen to enter your name as ZELDA, did you? If so,
then
> > you're playing the second quest, which is harder.
> >
> > Don't forget to check out the guides at www.gamefaqs.com. You'll
probably
> > need them.
>
> Thanks, Mike!
> I probably should have gotten a link to the past. When I saw that all the
> old games had been released on the GC, I checked it out as the price of
the
> GC had dropped.... Well, what I found is that they are no longer selling
the
> GC with the Zelda disc, they are selling just the disc for over $50!
Yikes!
> Sure wish I had gotten one of these when they came out...

Yowch! Maybe if you found an older Nintendo Power subscription card, you
could get it for $20 with a subscription. Not sure about that, though.

Searching eBay...as I always say, "if it doesn't exist, then 600 people on
eBay have it." Unfortunately, everyone there is charging $40+.

gamestop.com....nope.
ebgames.com....nope.
amazon.com...nope.
google.com....nope.
Okay, ebay.com again...woohoo! Here you go:

$9.95 + $6.00 shipping. Not sure whether that's too expensive or not.

//mike tyndall
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:49:11 PM

> [...]
> > GC had dropped.... Well, what I found is that they are no longer selling
> the
> > GC with the Zelda disc, they are selling just the disc for over $50!
> Yikes!
> > Sure wish I had gotten one of these when they came out...
> > Oh well!
>
> Yowch! Maybe if you found an older Nintendo Power subscription card, you
> could get it for $20 with a subscription. Not sure about that, though.
>
> Searching eBay...as I always say, "if it doesn't exist, then 600 people on
> eBay have it." Unfortunately, everyone there is charging $40+.
>
> gamestop.com....nope.
> ebgames.com....nope.
> amazon.com...nope.
> google.com....nope.
> Okay, ebay.com again...woohoo! Here you go:

> $9.95 + $6.00 shipping. Not sure whether that's too expensive or not.

Since this was only released with the GC, as a limited edition, the stores
will not have it. That one on eBay will most likely climb.... I didn't look
at it. I decided to buy the GBA instead of the GC anyway.... Seems like the
good TV round here is always taken, and I figured I could play the GBA
anywhere!
Thanks!
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 2:52:14 AM

Let it be known that on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 07:08:40 GMT, "Dreams5"
<dreams5@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Mike!
>I probably should have gotten a link to the past. When I saw that all the
>old games had been released on the GC, I checked it out as the price of the
>GC had dropped.... Well, what I found is that they are no longer selling the
>GC with the Zelda disc, they are selling just the disc for over $50! Yikes!
>Sure wish I had gotten one of these when they came out...
>Oh well!

$50? let me look.... Gamestop has it preowned for $29.99....Ebgames has it
for... $59.99?!?!?! Yeouch, somebody is try trying to make a fast buck.

Here's the Gamestop link.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=916358
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:28:08 AM

> >Thanks, Mike!
> >I probably should have gotten a link to the past. When I saw that all the
> >old games had been released on the GC, I checked it out as the price of
the
> >GC had dropped.... Well, what I found is that they are no longer selling
the
> >GC with the Zelda disc, they are selling just the disc for over $50!
Yikes!
> >Sure wish I had gotten one of these when they came out...
> >Oh well!
> >
> $50? let me look.... Gamestop has it preowned for $29.99....Ebgames has it
> for... $59.99?!?!?! Yeouch, somebody is try trying to make a fast buck.
>
> Here's the Gamestop link.
> http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=916358

A great deal for anyone who paid $100 for a new GC and sells the disc for
$60! That works out to only $40 for a brand new GC! And, you could even play
all the games before you sold it. I would expect this to increase in value
as they are limited in supply, unless Nintendo decides to make more...

I've been practicing with my original NES version for GBA and I am getting
better at it! Yippee! It does take a little getting used to!
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:26:32 PM

Hey,

I just finished playing through The Legend of Zelda on my GBA. (I went on a
airplane trip).
This marks the umpteenth time I've played through it since childhood.

So I will give you some tips, since I am qualified. (I'm also qualified at
Contra. :)  )

1.) The boomerang is your best friend. If you are dying a lot, chances are
you aren't utilizing the boomerang properly. Most enemies will stop moving
if hit them with your boomerang. So you whack em with the boomerang then
jab em with the sword. Then boomerang, then sword. They will just sit
there while you wail away at em. If another badguy comes up the rear,
Boomerang his ass real quick then go back to what you are doing, then when
you finish, turn around and rip up the other guy. It's pretty easy when you
get the hang of it. B,A,B,A,A,A,B.

2.) In level 2, don't use all the keys they give you. There are basically
two columns of rooms. The scond (left) column can be bombed all the way
through. So don't unlock the doors. You'll end up with a lot of keys for
use in later levels. That being said, try to kill all enemies in all rooms
at least once. It's good for your bank account and a lot of times killing
them all will give you goodies, like keys.

3.) Collect coins out the rear, and buy the blue ring ASAP. It will make
you twice as strong defensively. Which means you'll live longer. The best
strategy for getting coins early in the game is to kill those damn snakes in
Level 2. They are easy to kill, and they give up the coins. Other good
ways to get coins are those red guys that come out of the sand, the little
hop around insect looking things, The big black blobs with the second sword,
otherwise they split in two. The hands that come out of the walls, the
bouncing kitty kats (with an arrow). Later in the game, when you can get to
the graveyard, the ghosts are an easy way to get money. You whack the ghost
enough times to weaken him. Then you touch all the graves and keep an eye
on the real ghost (like playing the shell game), and then you go whack him.
All the ghost will die, leaving behind rupees out the hiney. Don't play the
money making game. If you do, call 1-800-BETS-OFF. The blue ring is
across the river that lies to the left of the start screen. It is a few
screens up after you cross. There's a shop and then you go up one more and
there's those blue guys that come out of the ground. And there's about 6 of
those statues where you touch em and they come to life. Touch the
top-middle one, there's stairs there. Blast him with the boomerang and kill
him. Then go into the stairs. Aha! Blue ring, 250 rubies. Oh yeah. Just
buy the candle first and burn the bush that gives you 115 rupies I believe.
I don't even want to describe where that bush is. Look it up at gamefaqs or
something. That's a quick way to get enough cash to buy the blue ring.

4.) beat level 2, see the man at the top of the waterfall. New sword.
Better than old sword. After level 6, get the thrid sword. Better than the
second sword. See how that works?

5.) Those armored guys that you have to kill usually to get important items.
Well those guys are immune to the boomerang so you gotta be quick. Walk
around the room a lot and try to get position on em. Give em a whack and
then move. always be moving. Or they'll ram their sword up your ass. Don't
overcommit yourself. Take a whack, if you miss, you miss. But get outta
there. Because those bastards instantly turn and try to nail you. Just
keep moving.

6.) The wizards are the biggest bitches, especially the blue ones. If you
get a good rhythm going you can avoid being hit and/or shot at. They are
very agressive. Good luck. Just get a red potion if you can't hang with
em.

7.) bomb the big rock with the jumpy insect thingies. Free heart. You'll
need all the hearts you can get. After you get the stepladder and the raft.
There are two free hearts on the far right side of the world.

Well that's about it. If you can use that boomerang you will kick a lot of
ass.

Have fun, The Legend of Zelda is truly one of the best designed games ever.
Almost perfect. Back in those days, a game could immerse you without
realistic visual effects. I think it is almost a lost art.

!