Polaroid, Foveon X3, 4.5Mp (hmm..)????

Well, you can't say they don't keep trying... Strangely, it seems to
be out of stock...... but you never know:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=129866&Trail=C$cip=22129%3EC$Brand=Polaroid&categoryId=22129

(O:

Sorry about long link - if it doesn't work, just go to www.argos.co.uk,
Photography, and look around a bit..
38 answers Last reply
More about polaroid foveon

    In article <1109668957.074450.302340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    <chrlz@go.com> wrote:

    Well, if you want to spend $300 on technology that's been proven to be
    far less than satisfactory, be my guest.

    I should probably clarify - I am in no way considering buying it - I
    just find it fascinating watching the Foveon... err... `situation`..
    unfold.

    It's a pity that the technology just isn't quite there - as it seems to
    have great potential, but given that this is a new iteration of the
    chip it would be prudent to withhold insults until we see some reviews.
    The fact that Polaroid have adopted it - given their chequered history
    of late - might just be a sign that they are willing to gamble on
    anything...

    Unfortunately, the camera also *looks* like one of those horrid
    'Megxon'/`DXG` things that get flogged to death on e-bay (or at least
    here in Australia they do).. I note those cameras have even more
    inflated claims of 5 Mp (from a 2Mp chip!), etc... There's one born
    every minute, I guess.

    Nice deal, if you have 300 pounds.But I got mine Kodak CX 7300 (99 euro)
    Lexar sd 128 MB card (33 euro) orbit charger with 4 nicd sanyo aa batteries
    (11 euro) and I heard from more experienced amateurs that it is not
    necessary to get crispier photos with more megapixel it is the firmware that
    makes for sharp pictures.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    "Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > There are Canon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, and many others selling for the
    same
    > price (or less) with higher resolution, better color, and better overall
    > features than this camera.. Why would anyone even consider it??

    According to all accepted definitions of a pixel, the Polaroid x530 is a 1.5
    megapixel camera (with three photosites per pixel).

    In literature for the Sigma cameras, it's made pretty clear that it's a 3.42
    megapixel camera (with three photosites per pixel), even though they try to
    claim that this means 10.2 megapixels, everyone knows it's really not. I'm
    afraid that the compact camera buyer may be less sophisticated and not
    realize the true resolution of the Polaroid x530.

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > "Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>There are Canon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, and many others selling for the
    >
    > same
    >
    >>price (or less) with higher resolution, better color, and better overall
    >>features than this camera.. Why would anyone even consider it??
    >

    > According to all accepted definitions of a pixel, the Polaroid x530 is a 1.5
    > megapixel camera (with three photosites per pixel).
    >
    > In literature for the Sigma cameras, it's made pretty clear that it's a 3.42
    > megapixel camera (with three photosites per pixel), even though they try to
    > claim that this means 10.2 megapixels, everyone knows it's really not. I'm
    > afraid that the compact camera buyer may be less sophisticated and not
    > realize the true resolution of the Polaroid x530.

    I'd say the Sigma is neither 3.42 nor 10.2 Mpixels as we have come to
    perceive the notion of "pixel". Speaking for myself, I wouldn't compare
    Foevon pixel with traditional pixel. Just watch the pictures and if you
    are happy with them, fine.

    göran

    "tuben" <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote in message

    > I'd say the Sigma is neither 3.42 nor 10.2 Mpixels as we have come to
    > perceive the notion of "pixel". Speaking for myself, I wouldn't compare
    > Foevon pixel with traditional pixel. Just watch the pictures and if you
    > are happy with them, fine.
    >
    > göran

    If they did like the photos you would never get them to admit it. They have
    a bias and they are interested in passing that bias on to others.

    In article <B06Vd.2997$4T3.335@fe09.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    > If they did like the photos you would never get them to admit it. They have
    > a bias and they are interested in passing that bias on to others.

    That's true, I do have a bias - against junk that doesn't work.

    I'm relatively new to this list, but in looking over the archives that
    are within the recent past, you seem to have a very strong opinion about
    the Foveon chip technology.

    Could you explain in terms other than "it's junk" why you don't like it.
    I'm speaking about in terms of image quality, not how the technology
    is implemented or constructed, or how it is advertised or promoted, etc.

    Have you ever worked with, owned, used a camera with a Foveon chip?
    What is your area of expertise in digital imaging?

    You sound like you have a very solid "opinion" about this technology,
    but I'd like to understand beyond your opinion, what it is about this
    product that you find so objectionable (again, in terms of image quality).

    Art

    In article <iljVd.35597$_G.1881@clgrps12>, Arthur Entlich
    <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

    > I'm relatively new to this list, but in looking over the archives that
    > are within the recent past, you seem to have a very strong opinion about
    > the Foveon chip technology.
    >
    > Could you explain in terms other than "it's junk" why you don't like it.
    > I'm speaking about in terms of image quality, not how the technology
    > is implemented or constructed, or how it is advertised or promoted, etc.
    >
    > Have you ever worked with, owned, used a camera with a Foveon chip?
    > What is your area of expertise in digital imaging?
    >
    > You sound like you have a very solid "opinion" about this technology,
    > but I'd like to understand beyond your opinion, what it is about this
    > product that you find so objectionable (again, in terms of image quality).

    I have never touched a Sigma camera. I have seen their results though.
    It's a 3.42MP camera regardless of how they try to spin the numbers.
    Skin tones bear a striking similarity to Homer Simpson. What more do
    you need? And they charge a fortune for the thing.

    As for my experience, I have been doing photography since 1966 and had
    my own portrait studio for 16+ years, photographing hundreds of
    weddings and thousands of portraits. I have studied with some of the
    best portrait photographers in North America, was one of the first
    three CPPs in the State of WA, and earned my AFPh from PPW back about
    1990.

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > I have never touched a Sigma camera. I have seen their results though.
    > It's a 3.42MP camera regardless of how they try to spin the numbers.
    > Skin tones bear a striking similarity to Homer Simpson. What more do
    > you need? And they charge a fortune for the thing.

    I'm curiuos about the skin tone issue. I looked upp the image gallery
    for SD9 on dpreview and I couldn't see anything abnormal there.
    Maybe my monitor or my eyes are compensating :-)

    göran

    In article <38mj5bF5p19ipU1@individual.net>, tuben
    <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote:

    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >
    > > I have never touched a Sigma camera. I have seen their results though.
    > > It's a 3.42MP camera regardless of how they try to spin the numbers.
    > > Skin tones bear a striking similarity to Homer Simpson. What more do
    > > you need? And they charge a fortune for the thing.
    > >
    > I'm curiuos about the skin tone issue. I looked upp the image gallery
    > for SD9 on dpreview and I couldn't see anything abnormal there.
    > Maybe my monitor or my eyes are compensating :-)

    Or maybe someone fixed 'em before they were posted?

    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >
    >> I have never touched a Sigma camera. I have seen their results though.
    >> It's a 3.42MP camera regardless of how they try to spin the numbers.
    >> Skin tones bear a striking similarity to Homer Simpson. What more do
    >> you need? And they charge a fortune for the thing.
    >>
    > I'm curiuos about the skin tone issue. I looked upp the image gallery
    > for SD9 on dpreview and I couldn't see anything abnormal there.
    > Maybe my monitor or my eyes are compensating :-)
    >
    > göran

    Your monitor and your eyes are fine, the photos speak for themselves.

    In article <fhvVd.3718$8j7.1408@fe09.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    > Your monitor and your eyes are fine, the photos speak for themselves.

    Yes the do...bleeeech!

    But then what do you expect from a 3.42MP toy?

    In message <fhvVd.3718$8j7.1408@fe09.lga>,
    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    >Your monitor and your eyes are fine, the photos speak for themselves.

    You really don't see the green and magenta stipple in skies and water?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>

    <JPS@no.komm> wrote in message
    > In message <fhvVd.3718$8j7.1408@fe09.lga>,
    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Your monitor and your eyes are fine, the photos speak for themselves.
    >
    > You really don't see the green and magenta stipple in skies and water?

    > John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    I've not claimed that the camera is perfect and without issues, I just don't
    let the idiotic comments of Randall and the like go by without comment which
    any subjective person can tell are over the top. No one can accuse me of
    being a shill either unless they are being dishonest, they cannot produce
    anything I've posted which makes me one. If they try, they might want to
    check the posts in which I've commented on other's photos and cameras.

    There are times when I get skies that are a bit noisy but not much at all.
    I don't see that problem at all in water. Yellow skin tones are a problem
    occassionally but easily correctible, I suspect it's a problem with the raw
    converter rather than the sensor. Does no one else edit digital images?
    Conditions are rarely, if ever, perfect for shooting.

    In article <CNCVd.11935$JH4.7775@fe10.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    > I've not claimed that the camera is perfect and without issues, I just don't
    > let the idiotic comments of Randall and the like go by without comment which
    > any subjective person can tell are over the top. No one can accuse me of
    > being a shill either unless they are being dishonest, they cannot produce
    > anything I've posted which makes me one. If they try, they might want to
    > check the posts in which I've commented on other's photos and cameras.

    *You're* the idiot for defending this poorly designed and overpriced
    piece of junk.

    chrlz@go.com wrote:

    >Well, you can't say they don't keep trying... Strangely, it seems to
    >be out of stock...... but you never know:
    >
    >http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=129866&Trail=C$cip=22129%3EC$Brand=Polaroid&categoryId=22129
    >
    >(O:
    >
    >Sorry about long link - if it doesn't work, just go to www.argos.co.uk,
    >Photography, and look around a bit..

    Are you Preddy?

    "Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
    > In article <38mj5bF5p19ipU1@individual.net>, tuben
    > <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote:
    SNIP
    >> I'm curiuos about the skin tone issue. I looked upp the image
    >> gallery for SD9 on dpreview and I couldn't see anything
    >> abnormal there. Maybe my monitor or my eyes are
    >> compensating :-)
    >
    > Or maybe someone fixed 'em before they were posted?

    Very likely. In close-ups, the *blue* whites of the eye are the
    result.
    An example: http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/16932719

    Bart

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Yellow skin tones are a problem occassionally but easily
    > correctible, I suspect it's a problem with the raw converter rather
    > than the sensor.

    It's more likely to be a sensor issue, for two reasons that have been
    discussed here about a year ago. One reason is the lack of a "color
    optimum pre-filter" to correct for the color difference between human
    color matching functions and spectral sensor sensitivity. It could
    have been corrected, but Foveon/Sigma chose to not include it (perhaps
    to save cost, and prevent further loss of sensitivity).
    See page 352 (page 4) in the following
    http://www.foveon.com/docs/Century.pdf .

    Another reason is that when one analyzes the Raw file data (by a
    modified DCRAW version), it confirms that color separation is almost
    non-existent, and the data has to be significantly processed to
    separate the colors. Given that, it is short of a miracle that the
    cameras reproduce color as they do, although with some shortcomings.

    > Does no one else edit digital images?

    Sure, but usually not to correct omissions in the sensor design
    (leaving out the color filter).

    > Conditions are rarely, if ever, perfect for shooting.

    Such is a photographers fait ...

    Bart

    "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

    > Another reason is that when one analyzes the Raw file data (by a
    > modified DCRAW version), it confirms that color separation is almost
    > non-existent, and the data has to be significantly processed to
    > separate the colors. Given that, it is short of a miracle that the
    > cameras reproduce color as they do, although with some shortcomings.

    Very well stated. If you read the technical papers on the silicon color
    separation, it becomes clear that it's amazing that they can even get to the
    level of color accuracy that they get to, even with the tremendous amount of
    post-processing (the post-processing requirements are what precluded the
    inclusion of internal JPEG mode). You can read the paper at
    http://www.x3f.info/technotes/X3SensorCharacteristics.pdf.

    > > Does no one else edit digital images?
    >
    > Sure, but usually not to correct omissions in the sensor design
    > (leaving out the color filter).

    As you stated Sigma probably decided to leave out the color filter (even
    though the paper on silicon color separation says that one should be used)
    because using it would decrease the sensitivity too much.

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message
    >

    >>Another reason is that when one analyzes the Raw file data (by a
    >>modified DCRAW version), it confirms that color separation is almost
    >>non-existent, and the data has to be significantly processed to
    >>separate the colors. Given that, it is short of a miracle that the
    >>cameras reproduce color as they do, although with some shortcomings.
    >

    > Very well stated. If you read the technical papers on the silicon color
    > separation, it becomes clear that it's amazing that they can even get to the
    > level of color accuracy that they get to, even with the tremendous amount of
    > post-processing (the post-processing requirements are what precluded the
    > inclusion of internal JPEG mode). You can read the paper at
    > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/X3SensorCharacteristics.pdf.
    >

    >>>Does no one else edit digital images?
    >>
    >>Sure, but usually not to correct omissions in the sensor design
    >>(leaving out the color filter).
    >

    > As you stated Sigma probably decided to leave out the color filter (even
    > though the paper on silicon color separation says that one should be used)
    > because using it would decrease the sensitivity too much.

    Well, I DO believe you guys, but technical papers don't interest me,
    pictures do. Maybe someone kindly could point me to the famous yellow
    skin pics.

    regards
    göran

    "tuben" <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Well, I DO believe you guys, but technical papers don't interest me,
    > pictures do. Maybe someone kindly could point me to the famous
    > yellow skin pics.

    http://www.foveon.com/X3_images_7.html
    http://www.pbase.com/image/24456213
    or after "correction":
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23094312

    And if someone thinks it is something mentioned for the first time:
    http://search.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=yellow+skin&forum=1027

    Bart

    "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > or after "correction":
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23094312

    This is a good image for you to link, it's from a real pro who uses a Sigma
    camera http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/1104career/

    "tuben" <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote in message

    > Well, I DO believe you guys, but technical papers don't interest me,
    > pictures do. Maybe someone kindly could point me to the famous yellow
    > skin pics.
    >
    > regards
    > göran

    Yellow skintones are an issue with the SDx camera but are easily
    correctible. Not every photo requires correction on skintones but some do.
    I've seem yellow skintones from other cameras too, even the beloved Canon
    10D, but the Sigmas are known to produce yellow skintones moreso than
    others.

    > "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message
    >>
    > <snip>
    >> or after "correction":
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/23094312
    >
    > This is a good image for you to link, it's from a real pro who uses
    > a Sigma camera
    > http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/1104career/

    Yes, he's a talented photographer. Unfortunately he didn't avoid
    creating blue whites of the eye in the process of correcting yellow
    skin color.

    Bart

    In article <42286d9b$0$28988$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Bart van der
    Wolf <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote:

    > Yes, he's a talented photographer. Unfortunately he didn't avoid
    > creating blue whites of the eye in the process of correcting yellow
    > skin color.

    Picky, picky, picky...

    Nothing like spending over $1,000 for a 3.42MP kiddie toy that only
    takes the manufacturer's lenses.

    <clutch@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > chrlz@go.com wrote:
    >
    >>Well, you can't say they don't keep trying... Strangely, it seems to
    >>be out of stock...... but you never know:
    >>
    >>http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=129866&Trail=C$cip=22129%3EC$Brand=Polaroid&categoryId=22129
    >>
    >>(O:
    >>
    >>Sorry about long link - if it doesn't work, just go to www.argos.co.uk,
    >>Photography, and look around a bit..
    >

    > Are you Preddy?

    Please, if you think he and I are the same person you've not read many of my
    posts.

    "Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >> Yellow skin tones are a problem occassionally but easily correctible, I
    >> suspect it's a problem with the raw converter rather than the sensor.
    >
    > It's more likely to be a sensor issue, for two reasons that have been
    > discussed here about a year ago. One reason is the lack of a "color
    > optimum pre-filter" to correct for the color difference between human
    > color matching functions and spectral sensor sensitivity. It could have
    > been corrected, but Foveon/Sigma chose to not include it (perhaps to save
    > cost, and prevent further loss of sensitivity).
    > See page 352 (page 4) in the following
    > http://www.foveon.com/docs/Century.pdf .

    I'm no technical wiz, you obviously have ahandle on things of this nature.
    Have you ever converted an X3F file using Sigma PhotoPro? If you were to
    get yellow skintones in a photo you would get them after conversion - the
    raw image has no yellow skintone. This leads some of us users to believe
    that it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

    > In article <CNCVd.11935$JH4.7775@fe10.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    > <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I've not claimed that the camera is perfect and without issues, I just
    >> don't
    >> let the idiotic comments of Randall and the like go by without comment
    >> which
    >> any subjective person can tell are over the top. No one can accuse me of
    >> being a shill either unless they are being dishonest, they cannot produce
    >> anything I've posted which makes me one. If they try, they might want to
    >> check the posts in which I've commented on other's photos and cameras.
    >
    > *You're* the idiot for defending this poorly designed and overpriced
    > piece of junk.

    Your underwear is too tight again. Loosen up.

    In article <aD5Wd.7115$8A.1897@fe11.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    > Your underwear is too tight again. Loosen up.

    Doesn't it piss you off that you wasted all that money on a 3.42MP
    kiddie toy that takes only the manufacturer's lenses and renders colors
    poorly? For what you spent, you could have bought a *real* camera.

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    > "tuben" <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >
    >> Well, I DO believe you guys, but technical papers don't interest me,
    >> pictures do. Maybe someone kindly could point me to the famous yellow
    >> skin pics.
    >

    > http://www.foveon.com/X3_images_7.html
    I actually like that picture. Looks more like the photographer
    wanted to create a varm feeling with the lighting.

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/24456213
    NOW I see what you mean. Pretty ugly.

    > or after "correction":
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/23094312
    If this was due to a color correction, it was way overdone!
    The picture is blue all over. Maybe hence the citation marks
    in your comment.

    Regards göran

    In message <sMXVd.6907$5m2.255@fe11.lga>,
    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    >"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message
    >>
    ><snip>
    >> or after "correction":
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/23094312
    >
    >This is a good image for you to link, it's from a real pro who uses a Sigma
    >camera http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/1104career/

    B&W is something that the Sigmas are very good at. There is very little
    noise from a SD9 or 10 greyscale, if you don't mind the aliasing and
    relatively low resolution.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>

    In message <38rmjbF5qdhfeU1@individual.net>,
    tuben <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote:

    >Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    >>
    >> "tuben" <tuben2.utsikt@wasadata.net> wrote in message
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >>> Well, I DO believe you guys, but technical papers don't interest me,
    >>> pictures do. Maybe someone kindly could point me to the famous yellow
    >>> skin pics.
    >>

    >> http://www.foveon.com/X3_images_7.html
    >I actually like that picture. Looks more like the photographer
    >wanted to create a varm feeling with the lighting.

    When you look at it full res, though, there are bizarre color artifacts
    in the specular highlights, and the image is quite aliased. The ends of
    the woman's hairs often have a bright spot at the end of them, like a
    fiber-optic tree. The small facial hairs alias in an obvious grid
    pattern.

    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/24456213
    >NOW I see what you mean. Pretty ugly.

    Besides the skin, there is clear aliasing in the background (the kids
    are in front of the focal plane, and OOF).

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>

    In message <bWXVd.6909$1B2.1444@fe11.lga>,
    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    >Yellow skintones are an issue with the SDx camera but are easily
    >correctible. Not every photo requires correction on skintones but some do.
    >I've seem yellow skintones from other cameras too, even the beloved Canon
    >10D, but the Sigmas are known to produce yellow skintones moreso than
    >others.

    The Canon 10D only produces yellow skin tones when the whole color
    balance of the image is yellow. The whole image clears up after proper
    white balancing. With the Sigmas, if you balance for a white object,
    the skin is still yellow. This is not globally correctable.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>

    > In article <aD5Wd.7115$8A.1897@fe11.lga>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    > <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Your underwear is too tight again. Loosen up.
    >
    > Doesn't it piss you off that you wasted all that money on a 3.42MP
    > kiddie toy that takes only the manufacturer's lenses and renders colors
    > poorly? For what you spent, you could have bought a *real* camera.

    Doesn't it piss you off to be you?

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    ><clutch@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >> chrlz@go.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, you can't say they don't keep trying... Strangely, it seems to
    >>>be out of stock...... but you never know:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=129866&Trail=C$cip=22129%3EC$Brand=Polaroid&categoryId=22129
    >>>
    >>>(O:
    >>>
    >>>Sorry about long link - if it doesn't work, just go to www.argos.co.uk,
    >>>Photography, and look around a bit..
    >>

    >> Are you Preddy?
    >
    >Please, if you think he and I are the same person you've not read many of my
    >posts.

    Sorry, tongue in cheek comment w/o checking your usenet history.

    Please accept my apology

    Wes