Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I have a quad channel kilt of g. skill 16gb 1600mhz. In the bios I have xmp enabled and even have the dram frequency set to 1600mhz. The xmp profile says 1600mhz and my bios shows the ram running at that speed, however cpuz show 800mhz for the dram frequency. cpuz does say dual channel though, does that mean its running at 800mhz per channel for a total of 1600mhz across the quad channel?

Solution
The actual speed of memory is half of it
example 1600 =800mhz
But it's 1600 because as said above
800 x 2 = 1600mhz
Don't need to worry your fine to know more about memory check it

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26/1
1600MHz memory is actually 1600MT/s (double data rate 800MHz) and it is sold as 1600MHz because memory companies (among others) don't care about explaining the difference to their marketing guys and their customers. It is running properly. Look at the wiki articles for DDR memory for clarification. CPUz reports it as it's true frequency, 800MHz, because it knows the difference.

Unless you have an X79 system, you are running at dual channel (unless you have an X58 system, in which case having four modules would be weird and still not quad channel). The memory kit is capable of quad channel, but it is not running in quad channel because your CPU and motherboard don't support quad channel.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
The actual speed of memory is half of it
example 1600 =800mhz
But it's 1600 because as said above
800 x 2 = 1600mhz
Don't need to worry your fine to know more about memory check it

www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26/1

Solution
Different programs will show real or effective frequency.

For example, CPU-Z, your motherboard tuning utility, and such programs that show clock speed, they will show "MHz" or real frequency.

If you run a benchmark test, it will show you effective frequency since it tests actual performance. As a result, it will show DDR3-xxxx, not "MHz"

So basically when you see MHz, most of the time it is real frequency, whereas DDR3-xxxx, is the effective frequency.

Hope that makes it more clear.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.