Opinions on my new rig for Gaming

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2011 7:55:14 PM

Hey guys, I was having a look at building a new rig for gaming and was wondering if my choices were kosher or not. I hope to get some constructive feedback from the awesome people of these forums to confirm my rig or persuade me to look at some different parts. Please take your time scanning my choices and leave a comment.

Thanks guys!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a few months I'll start buying parts as I get paid. End date is when Battlefield 3 is released.

Budget Range: AU$ 1500-2000, former figure is preferred but latter is fine.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High performance gaming, media center and application multi-tasking.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse and speakers. Going to use current monitor and hard drives but will include new ones in the item list.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg.com for reviews and comparison. PCCaseGear.com for Australian prices.

Country of Origin: Australia.

Parts Preferences: I'm looking for an AMD heavy rig with a mix of minor parts but all feedback will be considered thoughtfully.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: Will be using my current 1280x1024 LCD but considering a 24 inch 1920x1080 monitor in the future.

Additional Comments: Thoughts on rig noise, heat build up and cooling are welcome. Mainly I am concerned about compatibility of the hardware; if you have experience using any of the equipment below in conjunction please comment. I am aware that by waiting a few months prices and stock may change, I priced the rig anyway to get a budget limit. I've used a power supply calculator to estimate the amount of Wattage I'll need but if the PSU I have chosen is not suitable please comment.

I am willing to consider any brand of equipment as long the opinions for are not too biased. My current rig is as follows:

Core i7 920
GTX275
6GB of DDR 1333MHz RAM
Foxconn x68 Flaming Blade motherboard
Cooler Master HAF 922
750W PSU
Cooler Master V8 HSF
1280x1024 Monitor
Hard drives of varying capacities

I have had this rig for 3 years and it has performed well and no dire issues have come up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (1200)

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Motherboard: ASRock AMD 890GX Extreme4

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Thuban

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Power Supply: Corsair TX-850 V2 Power Supply

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U9B SE2

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Monitor: ASUS VE248H 24" Widescreen LED Monitor

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Hard Drives: Western Digital Green 2TB X 6

PCCaseGear

NewEgg

Thanks again!

More about : opinions rig gaming

June 1, 2011 8:02:25 PM

Oh well your current build is still ok, maybe just get new GPU and wait for next CPU.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:07:35 PM

Are the applications you are currently using require a 6 core processor or are they working fine with the 920? Gaming wise you'd be better off with the 920. My only suggestion would be to upgrade the graphics card and if you need more RAM to upgrade that as well. Other than that, wait for bulldozer/ivy bridge and the new line up of 6 core processors which will far better than the 1100T can provide you with now.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2011 11:46:46 PM

I wouldn't go to the X6 because you'll lose performance in your games and most other programs. I'd go with the i5-2500K (or i7-2600K if you really need hyperthreading).
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 12:12:27 AM

Overclocking...no? Why not? No reason not to, especially with a beastly OC processor like a 2500K, which you should get and overclock like crazy.
m
l
June 2, 2011 10:43:21 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry I've responded so late, been busy.

As stated above I was going to start buying parts within a few months so that may give me some time to see what the new CPUs will be like.

Quote:
Are the applications you are currently using require a 6 core processor or are they working fine with the 920?

I can multi task programs fine at the moment with my 920. I am looking to build from a new motherboard that can support the new processors mentioned to be coming out soon and I'd might as well start over with a new rig.

Quote:
I wouldn't go to the X6 because you'll lose performance in your games and most other programs. I'd go with the i5-2500K (or i7-2600K if you really need hyperthreading).

Yes I read that in one of the reviews for the 1100T. Will the i5-2500K be compatible with the AMD motherboard until the new Bulldozer comes out? I'm assuming not due to the socket.

Quote:
Overclocking...no? Why not? No reason not to, especially with a beastly OC processor like a 2500K, which you should get and overclock like crazy.

I was thinking about it for this new rig but I didn't really want to mess with the stock settings for now. I'll try it in the future if I need the boost in performance.

Considering the Q2 release of the new processors should I'll probably just wait a bit and have a look at the market then.

Thanks guys for your help.
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:19:05 PM

The 920 at stock clock speeds already matches the X4-980BE in gaming performance....

Get a nice GPU for it, overclock your current CPU, and you should be fine without a new CPU/MB....
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:21:17 PM

For a GPU, the 6950 is nicely priced for it's near-GTX570 levels of performance, IMO...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 12:22:41 PM

why would you want to downgrade from a i7-920 to a 1100T:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=203

also your current i7-920 can overclock pretty well. you can easily hold off until Ivy Bridge. IMO you'd be pretty crazy to downgrade from a i7-920 to a 1100T.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 1:57:55 PM

willonidas said:
Quote:

Yes I read that in one of the reviews for the 1100T. Will the i5-2500K be compatible with the AMD motherboard until the new Bulldozer comes out? I'm assuming not due to the socket.

The i5-2500K is an Intel CPU. Won't work with AMD boards...
m
l
June 2, 2011 2:06:45 PM

boiler1990 said:
The i5-2500K is an Intel CPU. Won't work with AMD boards...

Neither will do new AMD cpu in old boards, he is currently using x58 which is intel and will need to get new board anyway be it AMD or Intel.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 2:19:08 PM

We know that; we're debating what platform to upgrade to.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 2:49:39 PM

xrodney said:
Neither will do new AMD cpu in old boards, he is currently using x58 which is intel and will need to get new board anyway be it AMD or Intel.

well AM3 cpus fit in AM2+ some boards and AM2+ CPUs fit in some am2 boards... :whistle: 
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:23:32 PM

mdd1963 said:
The 920 at stock clock speeds already matches the X4-980BE in gaming performance....

Get a nice GPU for it, overclock your current CPU, and you should be fine without a new CPU/MB....

ps3hacker12 said:
why would you want to downgrade from a i7-920 to a 1100T:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=203

also your current i7-920 can overclock pretty well. you can easily hold off until Ivy Bridge. IMO you'd be pretty crazy to downgrade from a i7-920 to a 1100T.

I didn't know that the i7 920 was still considered good. My mistake of assuming the Phenom II was better :( 

I've tried over-clocking in the past but it ended with failure so I haven't attempted it since. I'll have another shot at it though if it means my current rig can perform better.

I guess I'll just take the majority advice and get a new GPU. Should I just go with my current choice of the Radeon 6970 DirectCU II or one of the nVidia equivalents like the 570 or 580?

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2011 4:36:42 PM

I'd go with the 6950 1GB or 2GB at 1920x1080. Nothing beats it at that price.
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:16:58 PM

Sorry for the very late reply everyone, started work this week D:

Getting paid ~800 a week though so that's a plus :D 

I'll wait a few months for the new CPUs and respec a rig then or have a look at the new pre-built systems that were posted in the new stickies.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:19:09 PM

Best answer selected by willonidas.
m
l
!