Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temperature Question for AMD Phenom X4 965

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2011 2:56:01 PM

Hello, I just wanted to ask if it's normal for such a CPU to idle at around 77-80C stock speed(which I assume is a very obvious no).

The thing is though, I can't tell if these readings are wrong or not, because I literally had such numbers for most of the time I've had this CPU (which is about 1.5 years).

CoreTEMP says it's 78C atm, last time I checked BIOS it also said it was 76C. I also ask this question mostly becaused I've been thinking about overclocking the CPU very slightly to 3.6 ghz from 3.4 ghz (which from research says that stock settings in the BIOS should still make the system stable). I'm also going to clean up my system before I overclock since I'm pretty sure it's covered in just about every dust out there, which I'm sure is clogging up circulation and etc.

I just think it's ridiculous that I've had such temps idling (hell if I know what it is when I'm under stress) and yet my CPU hasn't fried itself yet. That's why I've pretty much ignored the temperatures, until now anyways.

EDIT: I use the stock cooling fan that came with the CPU fyi, so it should be able to cool off the CPU at its stock speed efficiently.

More about : temperature question amd phenom 965

a b à CPUs
August 27, 2011 3:29:40 PM

I highly doubt those temps are correct as the Phenom II X4/X6 CPUs start to cause errors when they get above 60C. Core temp reads from the CPU so if it has a bad thermal sensor then the mobo and CPU will both give inaccurate temps. Idle would be more like 35-38C under normal ambient temps. and full load around 55C.
m
l
August 27, 2011 3:47:51 PM

Xyrhoshi said:
Hello, I just wanted to ask if it's normal for such a CPU to idle at around 77-80C stock speed(which I assume is a very obvious no).

The thing is though, I can't tell if these readings are wrong or not, because I literally had such numbers for most of the time I've had this CPU (which is about 1.5 years).

CoreTEMP says it's 78C atm, last time I checked BIOS it also said it was 76C. I also ask this question mostly becaused I've been thinking about overclocking the CPU very slightly to 3.6 ghz from 3.4 ghz (which from research says that stock settings in the BIOS should still make the system stable). I'm also going to clean up my system before I overclock since I'm pretty sure it's covered in just about every dust out there, which I'm sure is clogging up circulation and etc.

I just think it's ridiculous that I've had such temps idling (hell if I know what it is when I'm under stress) and yet my CPU hasn't fried itself yet. That's why I've pretty much ignored the temperatures, until now anyways.

EDIT: I use the stock cooling fan that came with the CPU fyi, so it should be able to cool off the CPU at its stock speed efficiently.

if you are really unsure about these speeds take off your case and touch the heatsink after a cold start with your hand when it boots up to windows, does it feel really hot or is it just warm, if its warm then its just a sensor error as when it boots up from room temp it should be about 30c-40c
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2011 3:54:27 PM

The max temp for that cpu is 62c. So if you idling in the 70's you might as well start looking into a new cpu because that one won't last long.

Try CPUID HW monitor to check you temps. Google.
m
l
August 27, 2011 3:55:39 PM

megadelayed said:
if you are really unsure about these speeds take off your case and touch the heatsink after a cold start with your hand when it boots up to windows, does it feel really hot or is it just warm, if its warm then its just a sensor error as when it boots up from room temp it should be about 30c-40c

I cleaned it just now; when I first touched the heatsink, it was like touching the top of a stove when it was still on high heat. If I held my hand there for more than a second, it would probably start burning honestly.

After I cleaned it up though, it booted up with 54C from the sensor in the BIOS. Currently though, it's now up to 66C.

The other thing I should note is that room temperature here is about 30C (and that's solely because of the heat this computer generates. even with the A/C it's impossible to keep this room cool like the rest of the house).

So yeah, it sure felt hot as hell when I felt it. The case was burning too when I was moving it, as well the harddrives and...well just about everything. The power supply was burning hot as well as the video card as well.

Maybe my computer just lacks sufficient cooling, I mean I bought these case fans back in like..2005? This case is almost 8 years old I know that for sure lol.

Yeah that's what I'll probably do, go buy some new cooling for the case as well as a new CPU cooler.
m
l
August 27, 2011 3:57:35 PM

geekapproved said:
The max temp for that cpu is 62c. So if you idling in the 70's you might as well start looking into a new cpu because that one won't last long.

Try CPUID HW monitor to check you temps. Google.

Like I said, it's been like that for about 1.5 years, assuming it's always been right. And if the BIOS temperature reading is incorrect, how in the world will a software program be correct, since it should be checking the same thing the BIOS is.
m
l

Best solution

August 27, 2011 3:59:55 PM

Xyrhoshi said:
I cleaned it just now; when I first touched the heatsink, it was like touching the top of a stove when it was still on high heat. If I held my hand there for more than a second, it would probably start burning honestly.

After I cleaned it up though, it booted up with 54C from the sensor in the BIOS. Currently though, it's now up to 66C.

The other thing I should note is that room temperature here is about 30C (and that's solely because of the heat this computer generates. even with the A/C it's impossible to keep this room cool like the rest of the house).

So yeah, it sure felt hot as hell when I felt it. The case was burning too when I was moving it, as well the harddrives and...well just about everything. The power supply was burning hot as well as the video card as well.

Maybe my computer just lacks sufficient cooling, I mean I bought these case fans back in like..2005? This case is almost 8 years old I know that for sure lol.

Yeah that's what I'll probably do, go buy some new cooling for the case as well as a new CPU cooler.

but even with a not working fan it should throttle itself , it might be that you have a loose heatsink, as for the themal sensor, try to see what temperture it is when the heatsink is in room temp, check tomorrow when you first turn it on, is it under 50, if so then there is no problem with the cpu, its probably got something to do with your cooler or your case cant get fresh air in or the hot air cant get out
August 27, 2011 4:04:25 PM

Yeah that's certainly the most reasonable way to go about it. From what I cleaned, I'm pretty darn sure that insulation inside that case was practically non-existant.

So if the CPU is over 50C immediately after I start up tomorrow, then what you're saying is that a re-installment of the CPU is the way to go (of which I'll probably get a new headsink/cooler unit if that is the case). Sound's like a solid plan.

Many thanks for the help Mega.
m
l
August 27, 2011 4:04:44 PM

Best answer selected by Xyrhoshi.
m
l
!